The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Hockey Trade

In the unlikely (though highly advantageous) probability that the Devil's actually do come back to win the cup, Brodeur might feel comfortable hanging up the skates for good. In this situation, the Devils and Canucks become great trading partners.

Here is what I propose:

To VAN:

1. Travis Zajac

2. Adam Larsson

3. 1st round pick in 2013 (Next year's draft)

To NJD:

1. Corey Schneider

2. Jordan Schroeder

3. 1st round pick in this year's draft

Why Vancouver does this: As much as I'd like to see Schneider take control of the reigns in goal, the reality is we get the absolute best return for Schneider, and at the same time sending a message that despite how tough the going gets, we as an organization stand behind the players we make significant commitment to; this should help maintain Vancouver as a destination at the top of many UFA's lists.

The projected image notwithstanding, the Canucks get a 2nd line playmaking centerman who appears to be coming into his own, has tenacity and skill and is right in his prime, a young highly promising top 4 dman to compliment Edler moving forward and get to stock the cupboards a little by having 2 1st round picks in 2013.

Why New Jersey does this: With Brodeur retiring and Vokoun already claimed, the remaining goaltending options don't really match up with the skill, youth and promise that Schneider has already proven he is capable of (caveat: has not yet shouldered the load as a number 1 goaltender). New Jersey gets a promising young centerman in Schroeder and replaces the 1st round pick they are forced to forfeit due to Salary Cap circumvention with regard to the Kovalchuk signing.

Other moves:

• Buyout Manny Malhotra

• Sign Brandon Prust UFA: Age 28, 6'0 192 plays hard. 3 years @ 1.5/year

• Sign Travis Moen UFA: Age 30, 6'2 215 plays hard. 2 years @ 2.25/year

• Sign Adam Burish UFA: Age 29, 6'0 191 plays with an edge. 3 years @ 2.0/year

• Sign Scott Clemmensen UFA: Age 34, Capable of playing 20 games. 1 year @ 1.5 - Gives Lack 1 more year to develop at the AHL level.

Vancouver Line up: (assuming a healthy Kesler upon his return)

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)

David Booth ($4.250m) / Travis Zajac ($3.888m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m)

Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Adam Burish ($2.000m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Brandon Prust ($1.500m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Travis Moen ($2.250m)

DEFENSEMEN

Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)

Adam Larsson ($0.925m) / Alexander Edler ($3.250m)

Keith Ballard ($4.200m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)

Andrew Alberts ($1.225m) /

GOALTENDERS

Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)

Scott Clemmensen ($1.500m)

BUYOUTS

Manny Malhotra ($0.833m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,604,167; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $5,695,833

I would be happy with these moves. If Gillis was ballsy enough, he might be able to make a play for Weber. Assuming any RFA trade would involve Edler + say 2013 1st I say Gillis makes that trade. Drop Ballard to a cap hungry team like the NY Islanders, suddenly you have a very potent Defence not only now but for years to come: (This is really nothing more than a pipe dream)

FORWARDS

DEFENSEMEN

Shea Weber ($8.000m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)

Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / Barret Jackman ($4.000m)

Adam Larsson ($0.925m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)

GOALTENDERS

Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)

BUYOUTS

Manny Malhotra ($0.833m)

------

SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,154,167; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $1,145,833

PS; Yes I have left Kassian off the roster. I feel he needs 1 solid full time year in the AHL to acclimate to the pro game.

There is no way NJ makes this trade.

Zajac > Schneider

Larsson >>>>>>>Schroeder

And our 1st rounders are interchangeable.

And there is no use buying out Malhotra, I'd rather ride out the last year than have to deal with it for longer.

What you say is true, however NJ deals from a position of need and weakness. Other options to trade for would be Jonathan Bernier, Mikka Kiprussoff, and not much else really comes to mind. Who knows, maybe you swap Luongo for Schneider in that trade and suddenly it becomes a lot more fair of a trade. Really all this is contingent on Brodeur retiring at seasons end.

The idea is having more tenacity, grit and size that can move up and down the bottom six. Adam Burish has a quality that Malhotra cannot match, they play entirely different games. Burish is not unlike Lappiere, and if you recall he was one of the major components to shutting down the Sedins when he was with the Hawks, in the playoffs.

All of you you can forget about any trade involving Schneider. If that is the case both goalies will be traded this year,

With the extension to Vigneault..Lou will never come back to Vancouver.no matter what,,,,

In the unlikely (though highly advantageous) probability that the Devil's actually do come back to win the cup, Brodeur might feel comfortable hanging up the skates for good. In this situation, the Devils and Canucks become great trading partners.

Here is what I propose:

To VAN:

1. Travis Zajac

2. Adam Larsson

3. 1st round pick in 2013 (Next year's draft)

To NJD:

1. Corey Schneider

2. Jordan Schroeder

3. 1st round pick in this year's draft

Why Vancouver does this: As much as I'd like to see Schneider take control of the reigns in goal, the reality is we get the absolute best return for Schneider, and at the same time sending a message that despite how tough the going gets, we as an organization stand behind the players we make significant commitment to; this should help maintain Vancouver as a destination at the top of many UFA's lists.

The projected image notwithstanding, the Canucks get a 2nd line playmaking centerman who appears to be coming into his own, has tenacity and skill and is right in his prime, a young highly promising top 4 dman to compliment Edler moving forward and get to stock the cupboards a little by having 2 1st round picks in 2013.

Why New Jersey does this: With Brodeur retiring and Vokoun already claimed, the remaining goaltending options don't really match up with the skill, youth and promise that Schneider has already proven he is capable of (caveat: has not yet shouldered the load as a number 1 goaltender). New Jersey gets a promising young centerman in Schroeder and replaces the 1st round pick they are forced to forfeit due to Salary Cap circumvention with regard to the Kovalchuk signing.

Other moves:

• Buyout Manny Malhotra

• Sign Brandon Prust UFA: Age 28, 6'0 192 plays hard. 3 years @ 1.5/year

• Sign Travis Moen UFA: Age 30, 6'2 215 plays hard. 2 years @ 2.25/year

• Sign Adam Burish UFA: Age 29, 6'0 191 plays with an edge. 3 years @ 2.0/year

• Sign Scott Clemmensen UFA: Age 34, Capable of playing 20 games. 1 year @ 1.5 - Gives Lack 1 more year to develop at the AHL level.

Vancouver Line up: (assuming a healthy Kesler upon his return)

FORWARDS

DEFENSEMEN

Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)

Adam Larsson ($0.925m) / Alexander Edler ($3.250m)

Keith Ballard ($4.200m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)

GOALTENDERS

Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)

BUYOUTS

Manny Malhotra ($0.833m)

------

SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,604,167; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $5,695,833

I would be happy with these moves. If Gillis was ballsy enough, he might be able to make a play for Weber. Assuming any RFA trade would involve Edler + say 2013 1st I say Gillis makes that trade. Drop Ballard to a cap hungry team like the NY Islanders, suddenly you have a very potent Defence not only now but for years to come: (This is really nothing more than a pipe dream)

FORWARDS

DEFENSEMEN

Shea Weber ($8.000m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)

Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / Barret Jackman ($4.000m)

Adam Larsson ($0.925m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)

GOALTENDERS

Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)

BUYOUTS

Manny Malhotra ($0.833m)

------

SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,154,167; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $1,145,833

PS; Yes I have left Kassian off the roster. I feel he needs 1 solid full time year in the AHL to acclimate to the pro game.

To be honest i feel that Moen would not come to a place like Vancouver considering you put him on the 4th line. He could be a solid 3rd liner somewhere else for the same amount. I feel Kassian is ready to play at the NHL level and i think MG feels that way to considering he gave up Hodgeson for him. He needs NHL experience to reach his full potential. AHL would probably demotivate him considering he has spent a good amount of time in the NHL.

Even if you consider NJ having a pressing need for good goaltending if Brodeur does retire, they aren't going to just pony up Zajac and Larsson to get Schneider. Schroeder doesn't add a lot for them since they have Elias, Henrique and Zubrus at center still for next year and Parise who can also step in and play center if needed.

Granted Elias and Zubrus won't be around much longer, but they'd rather groom Zajac and Henrique for their top two centers than rely on Schroeder. They might like him as depth, but they already have prospect Jacob Josefson and Schroeder's not such an improvement that he'd be coveted more than keeping Zajac and Larsson and then finding another goalie elsewhere.

Perhaps (and just barely) they'd move Larsson for Schneider and Tanev, since Larsson is their star prospect and future face of the franchise if he pans out as projected. Here's what's more likely as an alternative:

To NJ:

Luongo

Schroeder

3rd 2013

To Van:

Jon Merrill

Jacob Josefson

1st 2013

All of you you can forget about any trade involving Schneider. If that is the case both goalies will be traded this year,

With the extension to Vigneault..Lou will never come back to Vancouver.no matter what,,,,

Archived