Canucks Community

Cox: Maple Leafs likely to pass on Rick Nash, pitch for Roberto Luongo

Martin Brodeur

Ilya Bryzgalov

Carey Price

Ryan Miller

Nik Backstrom

Cam Ward

All these goalies had worse numbers than Luongo. I get that Lu played in front of a good team, but so Brodeur, Bryzgalov and Miller also played in front of good teams. Backstrom and Price played in front of defensively minded teams.

All of these goaltenders would be fetching a lot of interest via trade (if they were made available) and would get a significant return.

As Deniro has said, I think people are underrating Lu, whether it be because of hate, or out of an attempt to sound objective at the risk of rational.

Lu is a great goalie. Many teams would be lucky to have him. Vancouver certainly is lucky to have him, we just have two great goalies and only need one.

No one is underrating Luongo's value. The fact that he's 33 and has a huge contract is the problem. He probably has around 3-5 good years left in him, and no team is going to sacrifice their young prospects for a guy who going to help them short term. There are younger options other there like Halak and/or Bernier.

In all honesty, i don't think the 5th has as much value as people think. Luongo WILL take them to the playoffs. A tandem of Lu/Reimer really could be strong, and Toronto has enough decent prospects that they could afford to lose the 5th.

Luongo's contract isn't that bad, he'll likely retire before it ends. He's basically 6 years/40 million with only a 5.33 cap hit. He's a bargain, and Toronto isn't fooling anybody. Toronto also has over 18 million dollars in cap free after next season. UFA class next year includes Perry, Getzlaf, and Jordan Staal (Crosby will be locked up soon). Toronto isn't losing any trade if they send a 5th or Gardiner for Luongo. Just my opinion, they're in a good position.

Me too, I'll play along. But not with Cox.

"• A play for Luongo that might cost one good prospect."

Virtually everything else analysed was credible.

One seriously good prospect and one good roster player, or one seriously good roster player and a good prospect?

Or my favorite, two reclamation projects! Kulemin has status with TO fans much like Raymond here and Franson has upside and specific skills the Canucks need. He was picked up for a 2knd round pick, but has not cracked a serious role in Toronto is also a valuable assessment of his worth. Franson, Kulemin and a 2013 first?

Cox is not a credible source, but I'll play along.

My guess is that Schenn would be the centerpiece of any trade with us. If we can pry Gardiner from them instead, I'd be all for that.

But if it is Schenn, I'd do something like Schenn + Colborne for Luongo.

Take it for what its worth.....

Grew up in Salmon Arm BC . My dad (who still lives in Salmon Arm, and services their boats every winter) is friends with Cody Franson's Dad, and Shea Webers Dad, and they both say....

Luongo to Toronto for Cody Franson+(????)

And Shea Weber to follow Cody...... being best friends and growing up/playing together.

Grew up in Salmon Arm BC . My dad (who still lives in Salmon Arm, and services thier boats every winter) is friends with Cody Franson's Dad, and Shea Webers Dad, and they both say....

Luongo to Toronto for Cody Franson+....

And Shea Weber to follow Cody...... being best friends and growing up/playing together.

Why?

You're saying Kessel has more value than Luongo? They gave up two 1st round picks a 2nd for him, and he wasn't even signed.

Goaltending is the most important position in hockey, I think most smart GM's realize that.

But the market is shrinking. Who would the Leafs be bidding against? There needs to be demand for a player for the value to be high. Whether you think his value is high or not, it doesn't change the fact the Canucks want him gone two years into a twelve year deal. There isn't a big market for Luongo and there never really was. If Burke is the only guy who wants him then why does he have to give up a lot? Basic economics and Burke is a smart guy. And I still think it's debatable that Burke will even want Luongo.

Grew up in Salmon Arm BC . My dad (who still lives in Salmon Arm, and services thier boats every winter) is friends with Cody Franson's Dad, and Shea Webers Dad, and they both say....

Luongo to Toronto for Cody Franson+....

Archived