The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Justin Schultz to Oilers

Is it just me or did the Oilers tamper all the way to the finish line here. I'd laugh if the Ducks filed tampering on Edmonton and the NHL hit them hard.

He's a free agent already, he just isn't allowed to sign a contract until tomorrow. Where exactly do you see this tampering?

oh my god. This is the end. Canucks will not win the cup now, this kid would have brought the cup even though he is yet to play a NHL game.

Seriously though, no biggie. I was expecting him to join the Oilers anyways, makes more sense for him. Get to get decent ice time with an upcoming team that will be able to compete for the cup in the future - probably about the same time where Schultz finds his stride.....

So for those of you blaming AV, assuming Shultz was scared off by the coach's treatment of young players...

..,don't you think he'd be more scared of by the way the fans treat the players? This thread is the perfect proof of that.

I don't like the air of entitlement in that Schultz kid. When you pay your dues, you get the right to play. You don't go and dictate terms to a team. Fine, maybe Edmonton might be able to do something for him, but Vancouver is in the hunt for a championship.

If I hire a second photographer in my business, you don't come in dictating terms to me, you shut the hell up and you play by MY rules. Otherwise you can take a hike and go work at another studio. You don't dictate terms to the boss of a hockey team or any business for that matter. Learn your place, play to the best of your ability and you'll get a shot. Schultz needs to learn his place and it's pretty damned low on the totem pole.

It was pretty much the same thing with that Eric Lindros kid, anyone old enough to remember him and not wanting to play for the Nordiques so he held out? An attitude like that doesn't go over well with me or with anyone who doesn't have a sense of "entitlement" which seems to be the failing point for most of the latest generation.

3.8 mil is cheap?

The fact is, if we gave him top 4 minutes, he would be earning 3.8 million. Whether we deferred it to the following season or not, it's still alot of cap space for an unproven player. Edmonton has a ton of it so it makes sense for them.

I would rather have Garrison at 4.5 mil, than Schultz at 3.8.

This.

Also: If AV is so terrible (and he ain't my favorite coach) - why do most of his players go on to have record years under him? Luck? In spite of him? If he was so bad then the last two years have been what? Pretending like he hasn't helped this team succeed is ridiculous, whether or not you like him. You can't blame the guy for failures and then give him no credit for success. If Shultz was worried about the coach or ice -time then he and his team aren't all the confident in his abilities - that's a concern.

I'll believe it all when he sign's to be honest; there's been to many bashing on the canucks that I can't take any reports seriously any more. If he doesn't sign with us that's okay I rather have the D in our system right now rather then have a player who thinks so highly of himself more so then his home town.

Agreed on both these points. I'm disappointed as well but Edmonton would be a better carrier choice for him than Vancouver. He would never get the minutes in Vancouver that he would in Edmonton and he'll play in all key situations as well. He has a greater opportunity to develop fast there, with a team stockpiled with high draft picks (much like Pittsburgh and Chicago were), and thus, a greater chance for a larger payday at the conclusion of his entry level contract. And quite honestly, it's probably less stress on his family if he doesn't play for the hometown Canucks. Can you imagine what it would be like if Raymond or Luongo were actually from Vancouver?

Everyone would have been happy if Schultz choose Vancouver. And much of CDC would be rubbing it in the noses of Edm and Tor fans as well. Suddenly, he doesn't choose Van and he becomes a clown? A diva? That line of thinking is illogical and hypocritical.

Brilliantly said. It's not like I'm not disappointed, I would have enjoyed watching him play in a 'nuck uniform, but I respect his choice and hope he made the right one for himself.

What I dont get is if he had wanted ice time why didn't he just stay in Anaheim? I mean their top D is Beauchemin and Lydman. You got defenders like Sbisa, Fowler and Vatenen to grow with and unlike the oilers they have proven talent up front in Ryan Perry and Getzlaf.

You don't need to live in a city with -30 weather to get ice time.

then it was gretzky & coffey

The kid is going to get booed in every building he plays in

Wayyyy too much of a diva for someone who hasn't played a single NHL game yet.

Not a big loss for us to not get him IMO

What indications do you have that he is too much of a diva?.. Just because he didn't sign with us doesn't mean anything.

He's got a great opportunity in edmonton to grow into a core of players his age. All those kids are going to be rockstars in that city over the next decade and I'm sure he's going to have alot of fun playing with them.

Signing with us he wouldnt have the supporting cast entering their prime all at once so I can understand his decision.

It's easy to say you would sign with your favorite team as fans but I've never played sports at the levels he has do I cannot judge him for the decision he makes. He's just a guy coming from the same roots as us and I wish him all the best.

I will however cheer against him with Canuck pride once the puck drops just as I do against iginla and Smyth.

All will be forgiven if MG makes a huge splash tomorrow...and i mean EXPLOSIVELY HUGE! :bigblush:

When does MG or the Canucks ever make a huge splash in free agency. The only player was hamhuis that I can remeber. Every year the Canucks promise big things but they either do absolutely nothing and make some excuses or they pick up some useless 4th line plugs. We are not getting suter or parise. Our best bet would be garrison and doan, and gillis isn't going to pay up for them so we wouldn't be favorites anyways, and garrison is not a player who is going to put this team over the top.

Wow !

Why so much hate here for the kid lol ? Who cares ? he did not sign with Vancouver and thats a problem ? He hasn't played an NHL game yet and if going to the Oilers than IMO he went to the best fit for his career moving forward where he will actually play and with soem topend young talent.

If Vancouver could not assure some degree of icetime that's a shame and how could you blame the kid. Vancouver does not need him as much as it appears the cdcers think lol. The Canucks will be more than fine.

Now I guess I get to chuckle at all the posts about Vancouver " needing to do something big in free agency " or " hurry up MG, have to move Luongo " hahaha.

Everyone would have been happy if Schultz choose Vancouver. And much of CDC would be rubbing it in the noses of Edm and Tor fans as well. Suddenly, he doesn't choose Van and he becomes a clown? A diva? That line of thinking is illogical and hypocritical.

Howabout THIS logic for you:

1. if you don't sign with VAN then you're a TRAITOR
  2. Schultz didn't sign with VAN\
  3. GOD DAMNNN TRAITORRR

But seriously I don't care JULY 1st is tomorrow HONK HONK WOOP WOOP

Archived