The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Advantage

I know everyone just LOVES to hear about this, but after reading some articles, and comments on other boards most people seem to think Toronto, Florida and Chicago have the upper hand in a deal. I don't understand why. The consequence of not getting a deal done. An unhappy backup, and a lot extra salary. The consequences for the other teams? Having James Reimer, Jose Theodore and Corey Crawford as starters. All three incapable. Sure it'll suck to have him back. But it'll suck more for those teams not to make the playoffs. Do you think we have the advantage or they do?

Both sides think they have the advantage.

Canucks think: lui is a world class, elite goalie and can get a supreme return for him

Cats/Leafs/Hawks think: His contract dramatically weighs down his value therefore they dont have to give up an integral part of their team

If neither side budges, then obviously the deal wont get done and i think that the panthers/leafs/blackhawks will suffer more with an inadequate starter heading into next season. So, Gillis sees this and is gonna wait and wait and wait untill finally one of those teams gives in realising they absolutely NEED a solid starter.

I agree with you the Canucks have the upper hand here

In the summer, other teams have the advantage, they can argue all they want that they believe in their current starter, and perhaps they do.

Once the season gets underway, advantage Canucks, particularly after the first couple months. Incapable starters will have shown themselves by then. If there is any problem in the Canucks crease, it will be with Schneider, as he will be the one who will be expected to carry the team, Luongo can simply be showcased. Once a team knows they are off to a bad start, and need to turn things around now in order to make the playoffs, the GMs will start to get nervous and the calls come rolling in.

Us, and I'm not saying this with a bias.

Because Gillis is fine with having both back, and what's a worse care scenerio?

Us having 2 star goailes back to start the season next year, or those teams going with inconsistent goaltending and have those teams (Florida and Toronto, not the Hawks) potentially not make the playoffs.

And we have the biggest asset, we have what they want, Gillis maybe should lower the price a little, but we should get some good thing(s) in return.

Archived