The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Update] Doan Gets Contract Offers From 3 Teams, Canucks Offer

Gillis has a cap hit structure. He won't offer Doan more than Kesler, and certainly not more than the Sedins. He's also been clear about 35+ yr contracts. Therefore, I'm guessing he offered somewhere in the range of $4.5M- $4.9M x 2 or 3 yrs.

Odd thing is, if Doan gets around $4.9M, the Canucks 1st and 2nd lines total cap hits will be pretty much the same (around $14M per line). That's 40% of cap space tied up in just 2 lines (or 6 players on a 23 man roster). Not sure how efficient that would be.

I really don't think management wants to cause a distraction like that though. It would be pretty awkward for the team and Luongo to bring him back into the room after he's said he wants to move on.

Obviously it's possible, but I think it's the last thing they wanna do.

Also if they wait too long and other teams have moved on, then we risk not being able to trade him at all. And when Kesler was ready to come back, we wouldn't have the cap space to take him off LTIR.

I agree that Gillis needs to wait for the right offer. But waiting until half way through the season is too risky IMO.

If Doan was to play first line minutes with the Sedin twins, he most definitely could be offered more than Kesler..

I'd offer him 5.0-5.5 mil guaranteed! Players of Doan's caliber don't come along everyday, there's no loss in acquiring him either.

Archived