The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sorry for being the Debbie Downer on this page, but; I think this a PR leak from the Nux to say/show "Look here, we tried everything to get him (Doan) to sign with us, even matching what was rumoured to have been offered by an Eastern Conf. team" so to save face as the inevitable is about to drop --that Doan won't sign with the Canucks. Teams tend to leak info in this fashion when the opposite outcome will happen (to come across to their fanbase/supporters as they really tried to get the player to sign). The next presser from the Doan camp will surely be him signing for less to stay in Phoenix (IMO of course).

ps: Plus now that we know what may have been offered by the nux to Doan, watch how many fans (especially here on CDC) will go ballistic at the price tag 4yrs for$30Mil. A collective relief for many fans will also ensue for simply the fact that we didn't sign another dumb contract and made an undeserving overpayment. We will soon forget about all this Doan business quickly and move on. This new rumour will surely start the next phase; the healing process of not landing a big UFA fish.

Not really,,, a contract can be bad because it is to much money, or is far to long,,,7.5 for Doan is to much,,,just like a 4 year deal is to long at his age. Lu for 12 years at age 32 was just dumb and is the main reason his value is lower. if Lu was on a 4 year deal for 6 mill he probably would have been moved already.

Some teams that spend to tthe cap will like Lu's contract because all they care about is the cap, but a team like Florida probably does not want the actual salary to be higher than the cap hit.

Look at it from this perspective, if these rumored numbers are true and this deal is consummated prior to the ratification of the new CBA, it won't actually be a 7.5 cap hit.

If this new CBA has any chance at gaining teeth and coming into effect prior to September 15th, the players are going to have to swallow their pride and accept the salary rollback. This means that all contracts negotiated pre-CBA will be rolled back by the agreed upon amount. Let's say for argument sake that number is 25%.

This would mean that the AAV of Doan's deal would go from 7.5m to 6.4375m/yr (based on the following breakdown) which is slightly north of what he's deemed to be worth. Now if the deal is significantly front loaded say 16/8/4/2, with signing bonus amounts of 8m, 4m, 1m for the first 3 years, the actual salary being rolled back would be 8m, 4m, 3m, 2m. Doan gets a guaranteed 13m over 3 years + the rolled back salaries of 6m, 3m, 2.25m, 1.5m for a total of 12.75m, in the end he walks away with a cool $25.75m and the Canucks get the player they need for the last 3 meaningful seasons of his career at a manageable cap hit.

By the time the contract ages to the last 1-2 years and Doan's production and ability to meaningfully contribute declines becomes a reality, the Sedin's will have signed new deals more indicative of their true market values, as well the cap will have likely risen again (after being rolled back as well), Doan's cap hit will be easier to absorb.

This was just a scenario that popped into the forefront of my mind, and might not be all that far from what Gillis and Gilman are planning/forecasting.

Sorry for being the Debbie Downer on this page, but; I think this a PR leak from the Nux to say/show "Look here, we tried everything to get him (Doan) to sign with us, even matching what was rumoured to have been offered by an Eastern Conf. team" so to save face as the inevitable is about to drop --that Doan won't sign with the Canucks. Teams tend to leak info in this fashion when the opposite outcome will happen (to come across to their fanbase/supporters as they really tried to get the player to sign). The next presser from the Doan camp will surely be him signing for less to stay in Phoenix (IMO of course).

ps: Plus now that we know what may have been offered by the nux to Doan, watch how many fans (especially here on CDC) will go ballistic at the price tag 4yrs for$30Mil. A collective relief for many fans will also ensue for simply the fact that we didn't sign another dumb contract and made an undeserving overpayment. We will soon forget about all this Doan business quickly and move on. This new rumour will surely start the next phase; the healing process of not landing a big UFA fish.

Sundin ended up signing that 2-year/$20m offer?!

I could have sworn he only signed for one prorated year at $8.6m (less than the $10m he was offered). Sometimes initial offers are just attention grabbers to get a particular UFA to really look into your team's situation and see if it's the perfect fit. A guy like Doan, if he was to choose Vancouver, isn't going to want to upset the entire apple cart by going that far over the Sedins' heads. He wouldn't sign for $7.5m per here (Pittsburgh is a different animal altogether with Malkin & Crosby both @ $8.7m).

Having said that, Gillman is on record saying 4-years/$30m is a deal-breaker (as has been stated on the previous page) so I don't believe this report unless Gillis & Gillman feel it's beneficial to leak this info (for whatever reason), which I highly doubt. It's more likely that some other organization has leaked this false (imo) report.

The more I watch this pile of crap happening the more I think he's just jerking everyone's chain... He's gonna end up signing in AZ and wasting everyones time with all this hooplah.. As others have said, if he really wants to play for the Canucks, or the Rags, or whoever, he would have already signed there.

I think he's working on leverage for a better deal in Phoenix and thats all... I think everyone should just move on with their plan "B's" and skip him and let him dry out in the desert, since thats whats gonna happen anyways. All these teams waiting on this guy are wasting their time that could be better spent working out other deals. All thats going to end up happening is a mad scramble to try and get those deals done after he announces his intent to stay in the desert.

On a one-year deal, it made sense at the time. Kesler wasn't nearly the same player he is today until he played on a line with Sundin & Demitra. The money wasn't going to be used in deadline day acquisitions anyway since the cupboard was bare at the time. At the end of the day, Sundin retired, the Sedins re-signed and no harm was done and yet people continue to completely misunderstand that it was two 1-year offers.

Like I said a few pages back at 4-years/$30m I'd pass if I were Gillis but @ 4-years/$20m-24m I'd bite.

No harm, no foul.

I don't think you can say that the offer to Mats Sundin was a mistake, because it worked out.

I had mexican for lunch the other day, and I trusted a fart a little later, and it was a noisy wet one, but I didn't crap my pants.

Is that a mistake? No, it was a risk.

I would love to have Doan on the team but not 30M/4yrs,

and i pray every night that GMMG is feeling the same way!

I think a cap of 5.5/3yrs. would be nice (8.5+5.5+3.5)

but I don´t see him taking this discount to play for the Nucks,

and I don´t see his connection to Vancouver so strong!

I think Doan really really wants to sign with the coyotes...

and if this is not happening I think he will sign with the NYR for his last big push to win a cup!

And for god´s sake I hope this drama is going to end soon!

We are putting everything on hold while waiting for this saga to end and by the time its over Doan will resign with the Yotes and we will have wasted all this time for nothing, and there will probably be no other good players left available either, like that guy Arnott. No Luongo trade, no Doan, no other big name signings, we lose Salo and get only one d man to replace him, resign Raymond, Weise, Desbiens, Ebbett, and pick up two no name defensemen. This sucks.

We are putting everything on hold while waiting for this saga to end and by the time its over Doan will resign with the Yotes and we will have wasted all this time for nothing, and there will probably be no other good players left available either, like that guy Arnott. No Luongo trade, no Doan, no other big name signings, we lose Salo and get only one d man to replace him, resign Raymond, Weise, Desbiens, Ebbett, and pick up two no name defensemen. This sucks.

Things would have hapened but all this non activity tells me that theres probably going to be a lock out. So why would Doan sign soon when he has all the time in the world for Phoenix ownership to be resolved to their mediocrity can continue. also why would we trade Luongo so soon if we dont have to.

Archived