The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I'd think the Doan camp would want to sign with the current CBA in effect. Seems to me he'd have a better chance of cashing in with the rules the way they are. I'd also expect his agent to have provisions included to protect Shane from any rollback etc that the new CBA might dictate.

On the other hand how important is Doan to Jamieson & Co? Will he be worth the reported money that is being talked about?

Are the Coyotes really that close that signing an aging power forward to a huge final contract makes sense?

Is the fan base really so in tune that they care that much about retaining their captain?

Considering the interest out there you'd have to think Jamieson might be thinking sign and trade would be in the franchises best interest, being able to fetch draft picks or a couple of cheaper players.

Sure Doan wants to stay in Phoenix but does Phoenix want him @ 7+ mill or even 6 for that matter?

doan reupping in phoenix seems pretty likely assuming the sale is approved by the board of governors, which is a formality. people will say that jamison's group could barely afford to buy the team so how can they afford to run it? well, the nhl wouldn't approve a sale if they didn't think the ownership could run the team. here's what i think is happening:

the nhl and nhlpa each have a huge bargaining chip in negotiations that i believe they're willing to concede in order to get something else they want. the nhlpa's is realignment. the nhl's is revenue sharing.

i believe when all the cards are on the table you'll see the pa cave on realignment (which they only refused to approve in the first place as a bargaining tactic) in order to get the league to cave on increased revenue sharing. it may not be a direct trade, but in the end i believe both will happen, along with the players getting a smaller slice of the pie (which is something they knew would happen when the last cba was ratified), contract limits (6 years probably), no more front loading, and maybe (or maybe not) changes to rfa service length and entry level contract length, which are issues the nhl only created as things they can give up to get something else.

the point is that with increased revenue sharing and a much reduced salary cap (and more importantly, floor) small market teams with poor ownerships like phoenix will be able to stay afloat and even compete. if you think there's parity now, wait until the new cba.

at the end of the day, i think doan will hold out for the coyotes and the season will start no later than november.

Things would have hapened but all this non activity tells me that theres probably going to be a lock out. So why would Doan sign soon when he has all the time in the world for Phoenix ownership to be resolved to their mediocrity can continue. also why would we trade Luongo so soon if we dont have to.

Things would have hapened but all this non activity tells me that theres probably going to be a lock out. So why would Doan sign soon when he has all the time in the world for Phoenix ownership to  be resolved to their mediocrity can continue. also why would we trade Luongo so soon if we dont have to.

We are putting everything on hold while waiting for this saga to end and by the time its over Doan will resign with the Yotes and we will have wasted all this time for nothing, and there will probably be no other good players left available either, like that guy Arnott. No Luongo trade, no Doan, no other big name signings, we lose Salo and get only one d man to replace him, resign Raymond, Weise, Desbiens, Ebbett, and pick up two no name defensemen. This sucks.

OH NO!!! You mean we might just have to play with the same team that won the President's Trophy the last 2 years??! Man, and we only have 2 Art Ross Trophy Winners and a Selke Winner? Oh man, plus we have to put up with one of the best goaltending tandems in the league, wow this really sucks.

you do make a good point. and although my post was not directed squarely at you, you must admit that mg has got to be trying everything in his power to improve this club. for him to sit back and relax with our current roster is not the plan, i'm sure. however, given market value for certain desirable players (real or imagined market value) it just isn't feasable for mg to snag up each and every one of them.

this team does have a window, i agree with that. the fact is, however, management can't just wave a magic wand and sign players at will. the hope is that we can improve from within while bolstering through trades/f.a's yes, but unless the right deals are made we are simply making deals for the sake of it.

as far as "the sky is falling" idea some posters on this site seem to have, it's disheartening to read day after day after day how mg sucks and our team sucks and we are going to be bottom feeders etc. again, not directed at you but i'm sure i'm not the only one who feels this way.

oh, and for the record, i personally would absolutely love to see mg throw a sheet at kane. no guts no glory, right?

Not in a crisis to say, but wasting time at NOT improving a team that got eliminated in the first round --- let us not forget. We have a conservative GM when it comes to trades and pulling the trigger on moving assets when they are at their highest value. We could have been more aggressive over the summer (or by last year's trading deadline) trading for other top 6 fwds or top 4 d-men. Instead we play mind games with TO and not go after other prime assets (IE: E.Kane or B.Ryan). We have a chance to turn over a major page in this franchise's history with a few high profile names or decent prospects that will get no playing time until the core of this team moves on or retires; and all we got to show for this offseason are unproven UFA signings and the possibility that are team will be almost exactly the same as last year's. LA turned things around because they had the balls to make moves and get in quality players to augment their already promising cast. We are simply laying stale like 1 year old crusty bread rolls. Enjoy another President's trophy if that is all you value.

The "Sky" isn't falling as you say, but certainly the window of opportunity looking to the outside at the flying passing shiny Stanley Cup is.

I think it's pretty much Vancouver or the Rangers right now. If Doan wanted to sign with Pheonix he would have done so following the ownership change. Not only that, it's been reported by Doan's agent that the Coyotes and Doan haven't had talks since mid June.

I still think he's waiting for chips to fall, waiting for Luongo to be dealt and waiting for a new CBA that may favour 35+ players. Time will tell I guess, but like the rest of you I am growing increasingly impatient.

I think it's pretty much Vancouver or the Rangers right now. If Doan wanted to sign with Pheonix he would have done so following the ownership change. Not only that, it's been reported by Doan's agent that the Coyotes and Doan haven't had talks since mid June.

I still think he's waiting for chips to fall, waiting for Luongo to be dealt and waiting for a new CBA that may favour 35+ players. Time will tell I guess, but like the rest of you I am growing increasingly impatient.

Not in a crisis to say, but wasting time at NOT improving a team that got eliminated in the first round --- let us not forget. We have a conservative GM when it comes to trades and pulling the trigger on moving assets when they are at their highest value. We could have been more aggressive over the summer (or by last year's trading deadline) trading for other top 6 fwds or top 4 d-men. Instead we play mind games with TO and not go after other prime assets (IE: E.Kane or B.Ryan). We have a chance to turn over a major page in this franchise's history with a few high profile names or decent prospects that will get no playing time until the core of this team moves on or retires; and all we got to show for this offseason are unproven UFA signings and the possibility that are team will be almost exactly the same as last year's. LA turned things around because they had the balls to make moves and get in quality players to augment their already promising cast. We are simply laying stale like 1 year old crusty bread rolls. Enjoy another President's trophy if that is all you value.

The "Sky" isn't falling as you say, but certainly the window of opportunity looking to the outside at the flying passing shiny Stanley Cup is.

1. lolwut? so? Did Salo account for two players on one d pairing? We lost Salo and replaced him with a younger version, simple as that, how is that bad? One out, one in, we don't need two good defenceman to replace Salo.

2. Stop saying "we" in cases like this. "We" are not Mike Gillis.

3. There is still at least a month for a Doan signing and Luongo trade to go down, stop crying.

Archived