The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

14 People Shot Dead at Dark Knight Rises Theatre in Denver

Dellins

That's an ignorant picture, since he didn't commit an act or terror, but one of mass murder.

There's a difference between the two.

Maybe if some muslims stopped trying to make themselves look like martyrs by hijacking recent events and instead used their time to educate their own radical elements, maybe there wouldn't be an unfair negative perception of them.

The sad part is if the guy was Muslim, he would probably be called a terrorist.

That was the point.

And also Islam would have been blamed, and I (as a Muslim) would have to apologize.

True, the intentions and motives behind the act defines if it's terrorism or not, and I don't consider this act terrorism and I note it as an individual screw up... I just would like to think the same reasoning would be applied to a Muslim and headlines wouldn't read "possible terrorist attack by Islamist extremist".

Again, I do feel weird bringing this up (I really have no need or want to play victim card), but I really wanted to get it off my chest - for a little perspective into how obviously messed up media can be.

He would be called a terrorist by whom?

Ignorant Americans? Why are you worried about what they think?

If he was an American born, college student who just killed a large number of people because of his religion...then yes, he would be a terrorist. If he was an American born, college student who just killed a large number of people because he really thinks he is the Joker, then he'd be a delusional mass murderer.

Why do you have to apologize if muslims commit terrorist acts?? You don't do them, you don't condone them, so why should you feel you need to apologize for them?

If you or other muslims have feeling of guilt for being associated with someone who commits acts of terror who happens to be a muslim as well, then you should either re-think your affiliation to that organization, or you should do something to educate your fellow members against committing these kinds of inhumane criminal acts.....or like the seeming vast majority you can do nothing, except write articles and complain about being lumped in with people who share the same religious membership as you, who are terrorists.

And I think if you didn't want this issue raised further, you wouldn't have posted that image, after posting that news link to the article. I think you wanted to bring it up....which is fine by me....but a little disingenuous or perhaps careless on your part. Doesn't really matter though.

Much of this post I agree with again so I won't dissect it. Just a couple of points...

1. By whom? Not exclusively ignorant Americans but it's probably true for news outlets as well don't you think? I'm sure a bit of sensationalism would be added before all the facts get out

2. Definitely not the problem with my religious organization (the media has helped paint that picture though) but I don't exactly want to reach out to the deviant or outright deceitful groups that commit atrocities in the name of Islam - I'm sure you could see why. I would like to condemn them however and say it's not my religions teachings to the 3rd parties and those fellow Muslims in danger of thinking the atrocties were somehow justified.

Other than that, thanks for the post, I've gotten this off my chest now. Just wondering now if you think sensationalism would have been added before all the facts came out if a Muslim had commited this act - I understand the hypothetical and possibly irrelevant nature of what I'm asking but admittedly, it did 'rustle my jimmies' thinking about it. No offense.

I think you're very justified in your response to the victim card thing (technically since "Muslim" is not a race that doesn't apply) I myself get VERY sick and tired of people playing "what if" with horrific situations like this. Guy could have been a fine, upstanding, highly religious member of his community...it's all moot, because none of that contributed to his decision to cruelly mow down 14 of his fellow human beings. "If this, if that"....it doesn't apply...we could play that game all day simulating different outcomes...the fact remains, these lives were extinguished by a wackaloon who, WHATEVER his motive was...decided that they should get the ultimate punishment just for going to a movie. Black, white, green, blue...doesn't matter what color his skin was...he was out of his mind, and that's the only thing that mattered. Sane people don't open fire on others at a movie theater.

Hoping for the American media to get anything accurate or in context from the start is asking for a lot. They're just about as dumb as islamic terrorists, in my opinion.

I don't think you need to go into deceitful groups or confront any deviants per se, since they're recruiting from your ranks. Work on the regular teens and young adults that are already among you in school and in your community. Teach them, and get them to understand that violence isn't the answer. Again, no one's born or grows up a terrorist, but isolation, despair, frustration and taking your religion way too seriously, are the breeding grounds that people who want to commit terrorist acts look to, in order to find saps to do their dirty work. If you want to make a difference, start with those kinds of people around you....then at least you can claim to be doing something from within...and don't have to feel like you need to apologize of feel guilty. If half the moderate muslims did that, i'm sure the acts of radical islamists would be next to none.....but I digress.

3 Boyfriends Die Shielding Girlfriends During Aurora Massacre

In the wake of Friday's devastating theater shooting in Aurora, Colo., President Obama remarked

that it will be the "good people" -- the heroes who took action -- that remain in our memories long after James Holmes, the alleged gunman, has been forgotten.

And as stories from the darkened chaos begin to emerge, three among many share similar heroic stories: they all died shielding their girlfriends from bullets.

Jon Blunk had served in the Navy and was planning to re-enlist. On Friday, the 26-year-old took his girlfriend, Jansen Young, to see the "Dark Knight" -- when the assault began, Young says he saved her life. "Jon just took a bullet for me,"

Young said in an interview on "Today". "He knew and threw me on the ground, and was like, 'We have to get down and stay down.'"

While Holmes walked up and down the aisles shooting, Young says her boyfriend was a constant presence, pushing her further under the seats and out of the line of fire. Finally, as the shots slowed, she crawled out and attempted to pull up Blunk by the shoulder, but he didn't move.

slide_240264_1263267_free.jpg

"I guess I didn't really know he had passed, up until I started shaking him and saying, 'Jon, Jon, we have to go... It's time for us to get out of here,' ''

she told the Denver Post.

Reached for comment by the NY Daily News,

Young's mother described Blunk as "loving, the kind of guy you want your daughter to be with."

In another part of the theater, 27-year-old Matt McQuinn was also shielding his girlfriend, Samantha Yowler, 26. "When the gunman started shooting, Matt and [her brother] Nick … pulled Samantha to the ground and shielded her,"

Rob Scott, an attorney representing the McQuinn and Yowler families, told USA Today.

slide_240264_1263208_free.jpg

Samantha suffered a bullet wound to the leg and is recovering,

reports the Dayton Daily News. McQuinn, putting himself in danger to save his girlfriend, died at the theater after having been hit three times. Nick Yowler, her brother, was uninjured.

“Both the Yowler and McQuinn families thank everyone for their concerns, thoughts and prayers during this difficult time,” Scott

added in a statement to the local paper. “The families ask for everyone to be patient and respect their wishes during this very difficult time.”

Similarly, Alex Teves, 24, shielded his girlfriend Amanda Lindgren when the gunman unleashed a barrage of bullets. “He was gonna hit the floor himself, but he never made it,”

his aunt, Barbara Slivinske, told the NY Daily News.

slide_240264_1263197_free.jpg

According to the Denver Post, Teves had earned a master's degree in counseling psychology from the University of Denver in June. Mary Gomez, an advisor to Teves at DU, said his "top priority was his relationships. His loyalty is admirable and he always put his friends first."

As Colorado Governor John Hickenlooper

noted on "Meet The Press" Sunday, the terrible incident was marked by countless acts of heroism--indeed, "heroism isn't strong enough a word."

Archived