The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Offer Sheet to Jamie Benn

I don't think I need to sell you on Jamie Benn but he:

a. is young (23)

b. has decent size (6'2" - 205)

c. can score (20+ goals in all 3 NHL seasons)

As most of you know, Dallas is experiencing money problems and may not be willing to match a substantial offer. Vancouver doesn't have tons of cap space (about $3 million) but would have a couple months to make everything fit under the cap - this may require trading Mason Raymond or sending some people to the minors.

An offer sheet in the $5 million/year range may work.

So, what kind of offer sheet do think Vancouver could realistically make and not be matched by Dallas?

I don't think I need to sell you on Jamie Benn but he:

a. is young (23)

b. has decent size (6'2" - 205)

c. can score (20+ goals in all 3 NHL seasons)

As most of you know, Dallas is experiencing money problems and may not be willing to match a substantial offer. Vancouver doesn't have tons of cap space (about $3 million) but would have a couple months to make everything fit under the cap - this may require trading Mason Raymond or sending some people to the minors.

An offer sheet in the $5 million/year range may work.

So, what kind of offer sheet do think Vancouver could realistically make and not be matched by Dallas?

Possibly could get him with a 'Weber Type' deal. 8 years - 53,830,240. AAV of 6,728,780, so compensation would only be a first, second and third.

Break Down:

Y1 - Sal - 1M - Bonus - 12

Y2 - Sal - 1M - Bonus - 12

Y3 - Sal - 4.5M - Bonus - 1

Y4 - Sal - 4.5M

Y5 - Sal - 4.5M

Y6 - Sal - 4.5M

Y7 - Sal - 4.5M

Y8 - Sal - 4.5M

This is just a rough idea, but would put real pressure on Dallas' new owner. Same deal with Nashville - Do you want to shell out 26 Million in on calendar year on one guy?

Possibly could get him with a 'Weber Type' deal. 8 years - 53,830,240. AAV of 6,728,780, so compensation would only be a first, second and third.

Break Down:

Y1 - Sal - 1M - Bonus - 12

Y2 - Sal - 1M - Bonus - 12

Y3 - Sal - 4.5M - Bonus - 1

Y4 - Sal - 4.5M

Y5 - Sal - 4.5M

Y6 - Sal - 4.5M

Y7 - Sal - 4.5M

Y8 - Sal - 4.5M

This is just a rough idea, but would put real pressure on Dallas' new owner. Same deal with Nashville - Do you want to shell out 26 Million in on calendar year on one guy?

Archived