The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ed Willes' Tweets on Gillis/Weber

King of the ES

After years of Taylor Pyatts and Brad Isbisters, Gillis has upped the ante by bringing in some QUALITY free agents and trade returns in his offseasons.

2008 - Needed top-6 forwards badly. Landed the most sought after forward (Sundin), and another top-10 free agent forward (Demitra). Signed a top RFA to an offersheet (Backes), but was matched, so traded for another highly-regarded young powerforward (Bernier).

2009 - Sundin retired, and Bernier didn't work out...but Kesler and Burrows took huge steps. Still could use another top-6 forward with size, and an offensive D-man to replace Ohlund. Signed Samuelsson to a reasonable amount, and pretty much stole Erhoff from the Sharks. Eye for talent proven, as both went on to have their 2 career years with the Nucks.

2010 - Top-6 forwards working well, but needed a better bottom-6. Also, D-corps continues to be ravaged by injuries and exposed. Signed the top free-agent D-man available (Hamhuis), and traded for another highly regarded D (Ballard) - both with histories of avoiding injury (Ballard hadn't missed a game due to injury in nearly 4 years, Hamhuis had only missed 9 in 6 seasons). Signed Malhotra and Torres, giving us arguably the best 3rd line in the league (until Manny's freak injury). Best season in team history, and really could have been far better if not for all of the injury troubles (still think we beat Boston if Hamhuis wasn't hurt).

2011 - Two of the best free agents available for the team's needs were the ones they picked up at the deadline - Lapierre and Higgins. So Gillis got them re-signed to very reasonable deals. There were some questions about Samuelsson's health, so MG got a similar player in similar questionable health in Sturm. By the time the year started, neither were ready to contribute. So before the season was even a few weeks old, he flipped both the question marks for Booth.

2012 - Biggest team weakness seems to be D, particularly defensively. Also, powerplay fizzled in 2nd half of the year. So MG signs last year's 2nd leading PP goalscoring defenseman, who is also known for his shutdown abilities. Offseason not over, Luongo trade expected at some point.

Pretty dam good, IMO. Despite limited quality players to go around all 30 teams, Gillis has managed to reel in quite a few of the big fish in his limited tenure.

His reward? Whiny fans with now sky-high expectations?

Matti Ohlund and Sami Salo are my favorite defensive pair of all time, bar none, on any team .. but anyone who claims Sami did not digress last year is fooling themselves .. he lost another half step and appeared too tentative at times to engage physically .. Garrison is his heir, so get used to it .. we STILL need a physical, mean and nasty crease clearing D-man, tho Garrison will play his part, as he is very strong defensively ..

I don't really agree with that.

By presenting Weber with the kind of offer sheet that Philly did, you're basically going all or nothing. We'll forget about the huge Cap implications and the blow to what is already a weak prospect pool, if Weber actually becomes a Canuck, mission accomplished.

However, if the Preds decide to match your offer, (as Gillis and Gilman determined would happen) then you've essentially locked up the object of your desire for the rest of his career in Nashville. While it's true that he can be traded after one year, you would be in a situation where Poile holds all the cards this time around. Considering he wanted Schenn and Coutourier from Philly and (reportedly) Kesler from Vancouver, it would take a king's ransom to pry him out of Nashville next year, if it were even possible.

My feeling is that the only way the Canucks were ever going to land Shea Weber, is if he really wanted to come here. From what I have seen and read, that turns out not to be the case, despite what Ed Willes has speculated.

Seriously shut up about Salo.

If you're excited for a new player say you're excited about a new player. Salo received a better offer from TB. That's it. Deal with it.

General manager Steve Yzerman envisions Salo as a top-four contributor who plays 20 minutes a game and whose right-hand shot will be a formidable weapon on the power play.

"He is a good, solid player, a real pro, a high-character person," Yzerman said. "He'll be a good leader for our team.

LOVED the Sundin signing, even though it didn't really work out. That was maybe Gillis' biggest coup since being here. The intent was great, he was just what we needed.

Demitra, no. He did not work out, and I don't think many people expected him to. That was probably Gillis rewarding a guy who had employed him for so many years. Call a spade a spade.

You're forgetting another '08 pickup that I actually LOVED; Wellwood off of waivers. I'm a BIG Wellwood supporter. That was a great move, and it's too bad that it almost never happened after all of the waiver screw-ups that went down after training camp. Luckily for us, he was never claimed. Great move. He did good for us, even in his limited role.

Must be pure coincidence that you forgot to mention the Mathieu Schneider signing, but, yes, that did actually happen. And it was a disaster.

Samuelsson was a surprise; I didn't like the signing, at the time. Turned out to be a good one. Trading him, though, was NOT.

I didn't LOVE the Hamhuis signing. It was OK. Talented guy who's just too friendly on the ice. I hated the Malhotra signing, from day one. I also hated the Ballard trade, from day one.

The Sturm signing was awful, made zero sense at the time. An obvious "move to make a move". I'm not a fan of either Higgins or Lapierre, even though their contracts are decent value.

Those "shutdown abilities" of Garrison's must be pretty spectacular, if he's "known" for them after less than 200 games played in the NHL. As I've said numerous times, I fully expect this signing to be a major flop.

:picard:

This does not make him "right". Poile probably told all GMs that he'd match any offer. Holmgren made him put his money where his mouth is, at a cost of NOTHING and with the potential upside of landing Weber for draft picks.

By no means can you call Gillis "right" for not signing Weber to an offer sheet. Paul Holmgren and the Philadelphia Flyers now proceed to MOVE ON as if nothing happened.

LOVED the Sundin signing, even though it didn't really work out. That was maybe Gillis' biggest coup since being here. The intent was great, he was just what we needed.

Demitra, no. He did not work out, and I don't think many people expected him to. That was probably Gillis rewarding a guy who had employed him for so many years. Call a spade a spade.

:picard:

This does not make him "right". Poile probably told all GMs that he'd match any offer. Holmgren made him put his money where his mouth is, at a cost of NOTHING and with the potential upside of landing Weber for draft picks.

By no means can you call Gillis "right" for not signing Weber to an offer sheet. Paul Holmgren and the Philadelphia Flyers now proceed to MOVE ON as if nothing happened.

Since Gillis decided (and rightly so, despite what you say) that Poile would match any offer sheet, it would seem that the "patient" approach (ie. waiting for Weber to hit the open market) was better than the Holmgren approach of going "all-in", forcing Poile to match a multi-year deal, rather than signing Weber to a one-year deal which is likely all SW would have comitted to.

Look, we don't have the luxury of "being patient". Too old.  

If Holmgren doesn't throw out the offer sheet, Weber either signs an extension in NAS, or indicates that he wants to be traded at some point during the season so that he can sign elsewhere. He probably wouldn't be traded here, because we really don't have much that would likely interest the Preds. Meaning that Vancouver's best chance to land Weber probably would've been signing him to an offer sheet a la Paul Holmgren. Don't think that this decision was automatic, either. If the Preds were THAT confident in this decision, they would've announced it being matched an hour after it happened, not 6 days.

Holmgren tried, Nashville matched. Applause to both. No different than when Gillis tried with Backes. That was a good attempt.

I'll leave that up to you on how much you think you were wrong about anything, but Gillis was right about Nashville matching any attempts at a huge value, long term offer sheet and that his best option to get Weber was to sign him to a one year offer sheet and then go after him in free agency instead.

Archived