The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Messier Awarded 6 Million From Grievance Case

Alex the Great

I have a grievance with Messier for being a complete tool and screwing our team. Can we file a grievance against him? Some consider Messier one of the greatest leaders in hockey, I highly doubt that. The only good thing that came out of cry baby Messier's tender here was he left (quit) our team after 3 years and we didn't hve to deal with him for 5 years.

Once a quitter, always a quitter Messier

It was an odd case.We were all excited about messier and then he comes in and can't do s*** for are team.What happened to playing your heart out for your team!!We sign him for 5 years at 6 million a year and he acts like a freakin 3 year old and played like he was in junior.One of our best moves ever was dumping that old fart and going on another route.We made him captain before he played a game!He wanted 11 despite it being unnoficialy retired.Wtf was he doing!

Now that is my point of view

Maybe our organisation wasn't up to the job of getting the best out of him. Did you ever ask yourself that? A guy doesn't come off a record like he had and suddenly turn into a bum. It seems Bure also had trouble with our organisation round about this time. Is this a coincidence?

How you can call Messier a quitter amazes me. Apart from the fact you don't get voted the 12th ever best hockey player ever to play in the NHL he has a list of achievements no other Canuck has get near to...............do I taste sour grapes?

Leaving aside the contract which is a two way street any reasonable person must suspect that while no player can guarantee to be a success everywhere he goes his history was more reliable than the history of the Canucks under the same period.

Not only that but his first season after leaving the Canucks saw him register 67 pts.........not bad for a 40yr old.

Still doesn't change the fact that he didn't even bother to try to live up to his contract (whether you agree on the terms of it were fair or not is irrelevant), and that he practically coasted through his tenure here. The fact that he was great everywhere else makes it even worse.

While a part of the Vancouver organization he was selfish, greedy, and lazy. So while I can respect the fact he was indeed a very good player, I still hate the man.

Did nothing on the ice, nothing for the team, nothing in the change room, nothing in the community. Brutal signing.

One of the most overrated players in history. He got to play on a stacked EDM and NY team. In the 80's, most team barely had one good defense pair who always played against Gretz. Messier always played the other teams leftover scrubs. NY was ridiculously stacked as well.

Did nothing on the ice, nothing for the team, nothing in the change room, nothing in the community. Brutal signing.

One of the most overrated players in history. He got to play on a stacked EDM and NY team. In the 80's, most team barely had one good defense pair who always played against Gretz. Messier always played the other teams leftover scrubs. NY was ridiculously stacked as well.

Maybe our organisation wasn't up to the job of getting the best out of him. Did you ever ask yourself that? A guy doesn't come off a record like he had and suddenly turn into a bum. It seems Bure also had trouble with our organisation round about this time. Is this a coincidence?

How you can call Messier a quitter amazes me. Apart from the fact you don't get voted the 12th ever best hockey player ever to play in the NHL he has a list of achievements no other Canuck has get near to...............do I taste sour grapes?

Leaving aside the contract which is a two way street any reasonable person must suspect that while no player can guarantee to be a success everywhere he goes his history was more reliable than the history of the Canucks under the same period.

Not only that but his first season after leaving the Canucks saw him register 67 pts.........not bad for a 40yr old.

A "well respected player" doesn't hit an injured player while he's on his knees on the ice. Zero respect at that point.

And Bodee - when he came here, he acted like a superstar not a team player so his attitude reflected the "I'm too good for the Canucks" that you speak of. And even the best know how to adjust to make those around them better vs simply focusing on themselves.

I recall the era well - it was a horrible one as the "team" atmosphere turned into something much different. I compare it to Mats Sundin, who was also a great player but didn't appear to come in and have everyone bow down to him.

HATE Messier and perhaps he can get a head transplant with the $ so he doesn't look like a big rotten egg any longer.

Bodee - if you simpy refer to Wikipedia then it likely means you weren't on board back then and it isn't evident unless you experienced the dark cloud that was Keenan-Messier here.

A great player with an even greater ego.

Archived