The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

14 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

They really had no choice Oakland had plenty of time to pony up for a football stadium instead they had to share the Athletics baseball field.

Real Bush league. Reminds me of the Argonauts playing at Rogers center with the diamond in the middle of the football field because they don't have time to change it over too big of a hassle etc.

That's bull.  This is the biggest scam in sports.  Billionaire owners holding cities, provinces/states and fans hostage and demanding that they build billion dollar stadiums for them or they'll move their shiny toy elsewhere is BS.  The NFL could easily fund a new stadium every year if they wanted to  but they are so engulfed in greed that it's not even an afterthought.  In 2 years the NFL has stuck it's middle finger at 3 fan bases.  It will cost them, the NFL has peaked and now begins the decline.  And what really pisses me off is this buffoon Mark Davis inherited the team from daddy.  I bet he couldn't manage a night shift at DQ.

When pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered.

/end rant

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

That's bull.  This is the biggest scam in sports.  Billionaire owners holding cities, provinces/states and fans hostage and demanding that they build billion dollar stadiums for them or they'll move their shiny toy elsewhere is BS.  The NFL could easily fund a new stadium every year if they wanted to  but they are so engulfed in greed that it's not even an afterthought.  In 2 years the NFL has stuck it's middle finger at 3 fan bases.  It will cost them, the NFL has peaked and now begins the decline.  And what really pisses me off is this buffoon Mark Davis inherited the team from daddy.  I bet he couldn't manage a night shift at DQ.

When pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered.

/end rant

I don't disagree with the sentiment. Ultimately Davis saw that 750 million dollar state of the art stadium and dollar signs.

They could have tried harder to keep the team there. Will be interesting to see if fans boycott the games or plan a protest. Awkward situation they have to play there for 2 years still before they leave town. Again.

Wasn't Al the one who moved the Oakland Raiders to L.A. then back to Oakland.

The move pretty much kills the chances of them signing free agents to long term contracts. What's the point, if I was a player, to sign longer than 3 years when I know I'll have to pack up and move my belongings within 2 years to Las Vegas. I wouldn't be surprised if Raiders fans don't show up for games at this point. Not worth it.

I hope Raiders' fans are smarter than we give them credit and do show up to the game realizing it wasn't Del Rio, or Carr, or Mack, or Cooper, or any of the players, coaches, or other staff that pushed for this move to Vegas. They are going to be forced to uproot their families to Vegas as well. Hopefully the fans show up to support the actual team, and find another way to say f-u to Davis.

1 hour ago, NucksPatsFan said:

I hope Raiders' fans are smarter than we give them credit and do show up to the game realizing it wasn't Del Rio, or Carr, or Mack, or Cooper, or any of the players, coaches, or other staff that pushed for this move to Vegas. They are going to be forced to uproot their families to Vegas as well. Hopefully the fans show up to support the actual team, and find another way to say f-u to Davis.

The only good way for them to do that is to get him where it hurts.  His pocketbooks.  That means not buying tickets to the games.

The players and staff are caught in the middle and there's very little fans could do to hurt Davis that won't hurt them as well.

It is unfortunate, but that is the reality of the situation.

Edited by Jägermeister

I guess the price for Garappolo just gone upB)

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2017/4/4/15176976/2017-nfl-free-agency-jimmy-garoppolo-patriots-winners-tony-romo-retirement

usa_today_9865665.0.jpgMark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports

Barring a rash change of heart, Tony Romo won’t be playing football in 2017. That is great news for the New England Patriots.

With Romo headed to the broadcast booth, Patriots’ passer Jimmy Garoppolo is now the most attractive option available to quarterback-needy teams. New England has been patient with Tom Brady’s backup, waiting for the market to unfold rather than making any rash decision to move him. As the pool of viable starters drains, head coach Bill Belichick can set his own price when it comes to moving the three-year veteran, who is under team control through at least 2018.

That’s worse news for teams like the Texans and Broncos — two franchises with dominant defenses who were only a steady quarterback away from a potential title run. Romo would have been a plug-and-play option who instantly elevated their anemic offenses. His veteran status would have also allowed those franchises to develop young quarterbacks under his guidance, whether it was a player already on the roster (Denver’s Trevor Siemian and Paxton Lynch) or someone selected in April’s draft (whoever Houston picks to extinguish the dumpster fire historically known as their QB depth chart).

The quarterback market had stalled while clubs waited on Romo and the Cowboys to act; only backups like Case Keenum, Mark Sanchez, and Chase Daniel have signed deals the past two weeks. Now, that onus falls on Garoppolo and the Patriots. New England had reportedly been holding out for a first-round draft pick, and potentially even more, for its young passer. The team will only get bolder with news the most accomplished player on the market is taking his talent to pregame shows. It could cost the Texans two premium picks to give their offense a fighting chance in 2017 — an especially expensive cost after giving up a second-rounder just to shed Brock Osweiler’s contract back in March.

Garoppolo isn’t the only quarterback to have his stock boosted by Romo’s retirement. Colin Kaepernick and Jay Cutler now become the No. 2 and No. 3 options in a limited portfolio, even if Cutler’s tanned butt is sending out hints he’s also nearing retirement. The draft’s top three passers — Deshaun Watson, DeShone Kizer, and Mitchell Trubisky, in some order — just saw their value rise as well. Though none of the three are considered elite prospects, the chance all could find starting roles at some point in 2017 just rose significantly.

That leaves six quarterback options — maybe seven, depending on how teams view Bengals’ backup AJ McCarron — in a league filled with hungry franchises. The Texans, Jets, and Browns have gaping holes at the top of their depth charts. The Broncos, Bears, and 49ers fall on the second tier of neediness. Teams like the Chiefs, Jaguars, and Cardinals are in bad-to-decent shape for 2017 but have big questions about the future of their positions.

Demand for quality passers surpassed the supply long before Romo decided to hang up his cleats. Now at least nine teams are primed to tap that shallow well before the 2017 season gets underway. The Patriots don’t have to trade Jimmy Garoppolo this offseason, but his value will only increase as teams get more desperate. With New England low on draft capital following trades for Brandin Cooks and Kony Ealy, expect Belichick and his crew to up the ransom needed to free Garoppolo from Foxborough.

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

Who is to say he is actually any good away from the Patriots system?

These QBs this year are not day 1 starters but there are some development who can backup a veteran for a year or two and have the potential to start.

Or wait next year for Darnold, Rosen, and Jackson rather than overpaying for Jimmy Geez.

Ok

3 hours ago, gmen81 said:

Sorry to hear about your retirement @Tony Romo  good luck with your broadcasting career

How does Romo get a broadcast gig before me?

I tried out for Fox too!

https://www.fanragsports.com/news/report-former-49ers-coach-chip-kelly-auditions-fox-broadcasting-gig/

Edited by Chip Kelly

"Tell me I'm wrong:  Tony Romo may be better than Dan Marino" - Blake Price TSN1040 04/04/17::D

Haha,  the back and forth between him and Sekeres is pure gold.

Edited by Tre Mac

6 minutes ago, Jiggs50 said:

Makes no sense to trade Jernigan. My guess is he wanted out of Bal. 

Solid player. Eagles stole him. He's in line for a big pay raise after this upcoming year though. 

No team other than the Patriots trade more. Even in an offseason where Eagles are cap strapped they still made a splash by getting Jeffrey and Jernigan. Don't know how they pay all these guys going forward.

They also signed Chris Long from the Patriots a few days ago.

That  front 7 is gonna be a beast.

All they need is a WILL to complete the 4-3 DeAndre Levy on a cheap prove it deal for 1 year makes sense.

Now just draft some CBs and another LB and the d is set to be top 10 in the league easily.

• Upvote 1

The Seahawks still have one of the best defenses in the NFL imo. If it wasn't for the Falcons, we were on our way to another Super Bowl. Avril, Bennett, Clark are a defensive line force with Rubin in there also. Then our offensive line needs some work but it's young and has room for improvement. We have Fant, Gilliam, Britt, Clark, Ifedi not to mention the under the radar signing of Joeckel. So far so good and Schneider always finds a way to find superstars anywhere and doesn't matter where he picks. Ramczyk, Bolles pique my interest but wouldn't mind King who is a Washington native. CBS has us picking and wouldn't mind him at all. It's an interesting mock draft though

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2017-nfl-mock-draft-jets-gamble-on-trubisky-giants-saints-draft-future-qbs/amp/

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

The Seahawks still have one of the best defenses in the NFL imo. If it wasn't for the Falcons, we were on our way to another Super Bowl. Avril, Bennett, Clark are a defensive line force with Rubin in there also. Then our offensive line needs some work but it's young and has room for improvement. We have Fant, Gilliam, Britt, Clark, Ifedi not to mention the under the radar signing of Joeckel. So far so good and Schneider always finds a way to find superstars anywhere and doesn't matter where he picks. Ramczyk, Bolles pique my interest but wouldn't mind King who is a Washington native. CBS has us picking and wouldn't mind him at all. It's an interesting mock draft though

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2017-nfl-mock-draft-jets-gamble-on-trubisky-giants-saints-draft-future-qbs/amp/

The O line group is supposed to be solid this year but nobody thinks that the potential pro bowlers and overall depth as opposed to other years.

Teams often reach when they have a glaring need at QB or O line.

Will be interesting to see if they stay patient with their board and go BPA RD 1 or reach a little if they think an OL is a great fit for their scheme and the pick has value.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

The Oline will be better this year. Not great, but average. That's all we really need. As for our 1st pick, I would not mind a tackle, Adoree (:wub:), or TJ Watt.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

The Oline will be better this year. Not great, but average. That's all we really need. As for our 1st pick, I would not mind a tackle, Adoree (:wub:), or TJ Watt.

Adoree is too short sorry that ain't happening. Seahawks want long press CBs who can play in their cover 2 system like Kevin King,Rasul Douglas, Ahkello Witherspoon, and a UCLA guy Fabian Moreau.

As for the Eagles really getting excited that they might make a splash pick and draft John Ross U DUB alum and Long Beach native says he was an Eagles fan because of D Jax!!

4 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Adoree is too short sorry that ain't happening. Seahawks want long press CBs who can play in their cover 2 system like Kevin King,Rasul Douglas, Ahkello Witherspoon, and a UCLA guy Fabian Moreau.

As for the Eagles really getting excited that they might make a splash pick and draft John Ross U DUB alum and Long Beach native says he was an Eagles fan because of D Jax!!

Normally I would agree with you as Seattle normally drafts corners with 32" arms, however, they have been known to take freak athletes. Think about it, a guy that can come in day one and start as your nickel corner, is an elite return man and can take snaps on offense. Pete loves versatility and Adoree Jackson is the definition of versatile. Also Garry Paskiewicz, who is a USC FB reporter, was talking to Carroll at the SC Pro day and said off the record that the Hawks would look at Adoree if he was there at 26.

Also Fabian Moreau is a mediocre college corner, how he worth a first round pick is beyond me. And to be quite honest i think JRIII is going to be the bust of the draft along with Deshone Kizer, Corey Davis, and Marshon Lattimore

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

Normally I would agree with you as Seattle normally drafts corners with 32" arms, however, they have been known to take freak athletes. Think about it, a guy that can come in day one and start as your nickel corner, is an elite return man and can take snaps on offense. Pete loves versatility and Adoree Jackson is the definition of versatile. Also Garry Paskiewicz, who is a USC FB reporter, was talking to Carroll at the SC Pro day and said off the record that the Hawks would look at Adoree if he was there at 26.

Also Fabian Moreau is a mediocre college corner, how he worth a first round pick is beyond me. And to be quite honest i think JRIII is going to be the bust of the draft along with Deshone Kizer, Corey Davis, and Marshon Lattimore

Agree with you on Moreau think he is RD 2 or 3 like Rasul Douglas. Probably overdrafted due to his size and speed combo at CB if he goes RD 1 but doubt it.

Kizer is raw but has the highest ceiling of any qb this year. He might bust if forced to start early instead of behind a vet like Big Ben.

Lattimore and Ross are injury prone that is their main concerns not their talent.

Even if JRIII is a one trick pony even a poor man's D Jax is pretty good. Ross is also a Kickoff return threat bevasue of his elite long speed so he has some value there. I'd be all in on Ross if not for his questionable hands and injury history.

I think Corey Davis the safest out of the group to be a good #2 wr he has size and runs pro style routes with solid speed and hands. He might be a bust if he goes top 15 and doesn't become a #1 on a wr needy team. If you have other guys around him he should succeed early.

I do like Mike Williams because he can high point the ball but his lack of speed and routes are concerns too.

Bottom line every project has warts and concerns aside from a guy like Myles Garett a consensus #1 pick. Which things can you live with?