The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

4 hours ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

Tbh I don't know the process from this point on but I think it goes to the hands of the Supreme Court.

...it probably will stick but it's because the CBA is messed up in that it gives Roger Goodell the authority to do whatever he likes and that's that. NFLPA agreed to it too so if Goodell says Brady is guilty without proof, he is guilty plain and simple. Corrupt af lol.

Yeah innocent people in civil cases destroy their cell phones for no reason. The problem with civil court is it just needs probability.  As I stated earlier it's going to have little to no effect on his long term reputation. He didn't hurt anyone, he didn't shoot anyone. He was caught with his hand in the cookie jar. As I said, serve the four games and carry on. Lord Bill could probably have a high school QB and he'd figure out an offence where he'd be effective. 

From wikipedia: Legal Burden of Proof.

Preponderance of the evidence[edit]

Preponderance of the evidence, also known as balance of probabilities is the standard required in most civil cases, and in family court determinations solely involving money, such as child support under the Child Support Standards Act. It is also the burden of proof to which the defendant must prove affirmative defenses or mitigating circumstances in civil or criminal court. In civil court, aggravating circumstances also only have to be proven by a preponderance of the evidence, as opposed to beyond reasonable doubt (as they do in criminal court).

The standard is met if the proposition is more likely to be true than not true. The standard is satisfied if there is greater than fifty percent chance that the proposition is true. Lord Denning, in Miller v. Minister of Pensions,[8] described it simply as "more probable than not." Until 1970, this was also the standard used in juvenile court in the United States.[9]

This is also the standard of proof used when determining eligibility of unemployment benefits for a former employee accused of losing the job through alleged misconduct. In most US states, the employer must prove this case with a preponderance of evidence.

The Bradford thing was already coming. Best case scenario they trade him and get cap room and decent picks to fix how they gutted themselves. The Eagles have no reason to start Bradford this year other than to try to spite the Browns draft pick they get. 

As for Brady I get his and the Pats fans argument of definitive proof but TBH I think he is guilty xD

Johnny Manziel following in the footsteps of greatness like Ryan Leaf. 

(CNN) A Texas grand jury has indicted free agent quarterback and 2012 Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Manziel on an assault charge, according to Dallas County court records.

Manziel's former girlfriend, Colleen Crowley, accused the former NFL quarterback of restraining, hitting and threatening her during an alleged assault on January 30. She says in an affidavit that Manziel grabbed her by the hair and hit her, causing her to lose her hearing in one ear.
Manziel, 23, has denied hitting Crowley.
The indictment accuses Manziel of "intentionally and knowingly and recklessly (causing) bodily injury to" Crowley.
The NFL also is investigating the incident. He could face a league-imposed suspension if he is found to have violated the personal conduct policy.
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

And not a reach to say majority of the players feel the same way as Brees. Corruption all around. Next CBA work stoppage will be nice in a few years.

Unfortunately that is a real possibility.  Although I'm willing to bet that the owners are going to see that the office of commissioner powers need to be scaled back.  If not, the players will make it one of their biggest demands during the negotiations and there will definitely be a work stoppage.

Not a Pats fan, but still think it's pretty ridiculous that he gets 4, and people who have murdered, beaten spouses, et cetera have received less punishment from a supposedly professional league.

It's laughable, and it's pathetic. 

I laugh at all the Brady jokes, but I also laugh at this one, because it's just as accurate:

ray-rice-and-roger-goodell-memes.jpeg

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Green Building said:

So how hard does Denver push for Bradford? I'd rather have him around than Kaep, and although that might not be saying much maybe Sam would do well there. 

Denver called about Sam but said the price was to high. Philadelphia is being stubborn in saying they expect Sam to play. A couple other teams inquired about Sam but realistically they won't give up to much and Philadelphia will likely ride the situation into the ground.

5 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Not a Pats fan, but still think it's pretty ridiculous that he gets 4, and people who have murdered, beaten spouses, et cetera have received less punishment from a supposedly professional league.

It's laughable, and it's pathetic. 

I laugh at all the Brady jokes, but I also laugh at this one, because it's just as accurate:

ray-rice-and-roger-goodell-memes.jpeg

I think this isn't so weird. People often forget that the NFL or sports in general is a job no different than someone who works a 9 to 5. Ultimately they have the most power over their own business not legal matters. 

For example say you work at Burger King. if you have a legal issue outside of work your job may not even acknowledge it. But if you call a customer fat you may get fired (a far more strict punishment than the NFL). 

I truly don't know what people expect. The NFL isn't the law they aren't the ones who are supposed to be policing murders and woman beaters. If they get off legally what do you expect them to do?

The NFL is an extremely cushy job. You have far less leeway in your own job.

3 minutes ago, Baka said:

Denver called about Sam but said the price was to high. Philadelphia is being stubborn in saying they expect Sam to play. A couple other teams inquired about Sam but realistically they won't give up to much and Philadelphia will likely ride the situation into the ground.

I think this isn't so weird. People often forget that the NFL or sports in general is a job no different than someone who works a 9 to 5. Ultimately they have the most power over their own business not legal matters. 

For example say you work at Burger King. if you have a legal issue outside of work your job may not even acknowledge it. But if you call a customer fat you may get fired (a far more strict punishment than the NFL). 

I truly don't know what people expect. The NFL isn't the law they aren't the ones who are supposed to be policing murders and woman beaters. If they get off legally what do you expect them to do?

The NFL is an extremely cushy job. You have far less leeway in your own job.

I didn't hear about Denver calling already, although I shouldn't be surprised. Just this morning I heard the reports that Philly expected him to report and challenge for/win the starting QB position. Any idea what "price too high" might mean? I'm still trying to get a grip on player value in the NFL, my guess, if the 49'ers wanted a 2nd for Kapp then a 2nd and 4th or something? He can't be worth a 1st since he's been buried on the Rams and in Philly his whole career, can he? 

I get your references, I do. There's the law that is enforced by the courts, and that's completely separate from any corporate rules the CBA or whatever outlines.

And my comments were pretty ambiguous in that they could be interpreted to include players who either got off or plead guilty. In the case of the latter, the most recent big case that instantly came to mind was Ray Rice. From my point of view the NFL set a very odd precedent giving him 2 games and Brady 4 for the 2 different situations. 

Again, I agree with you, I just felt that maybe the NFL would want to at least try and do a better job of leading by example in some way given how many people look up to sports athletes these days. Perhaps it's not their job to do so after all.  

Anyone with a fully functioning brain knows that. Science and Berman destroyed the NFL and wells report and Goodell is now using the power implemented by the PA to call the shots he wants at will and not look like a fool for being wrong. 

Makes me wonder how people like Goodell become successful in life. Complete moron that guy is.

6 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

What is Bettman thinking putting SID VS OVI uo against Round 1 of NFL Draft? 

Couldn't they wait a day and start on Friday instead?

But Saturday is the NHL loser draft! Can't compete with that, even if it does take 3 minutes. This weekend is going to be great.

11 minutes ago, Green Building said:

But Saturday is the NHL loser draft! Can't compete with that, even if it does take 3 minutes. This weekend is going to be great.

Oh crap you're right!!!:lol:

Wait why not start SID VS OVI in Friday instead to avoid Saturday. Unless they made it to start on Thursday so they can hyow the lottery and build up all Malkin,Ovechkin, and Crosby all the top picks playing on Saturday to lead into the lottery.

Edited by Chip Kelly

17 minutes ago, TheRussianRocket. said:
Makes me wonder how people like Goodell become successful in life. Complete moron that guy is.

Politics. Maybe money. If you're rich enough you don't have to be smart enough to play the game, and if you're connected you don't have to have money to play the game.

This whole scenario has a WWE feel to it. All dragged out for ratings and publicity. I don't even care who's right or wrong. It's just amusing that it's taken this long to almost come to a definitive conclusion that still isn't definitive by any stretch. 

I honestly wonder how much time players outside of the Patriots, Colts, and Bills have spent reading up on this.