The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

2 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

Not that I like the pats but help is on the way. I bet gronk plays this week. How is Texans secondary? How is new Englands o-line?

They need to sit Gronk at least one more week.  Houston's defence is a tough bunch and will likely aggravate his hamstring injury if he plays.

If they play him and he stays gimpy that just means that my hometown Bills won't need to double cover him all game in week 4. ::D

35 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

They need to sit Gronk at least one more week.  Houston's defence is a tough bunch and will likely aggravate his hamstring injury if he plays.

If they play him and he stays gimpy that just means that my hometown Bills won't need to double cover him all game in week 4. ::D

You best be hoping he aggravates his injury alright lol...don't want him dropping 150yds and 3TDs against his hometown Bills again now do ya ;) 

1 hour ago, SabreFan1 said:

25 minutes ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

You best be hoping he aggravates his injury alright lol...don't want him dropping 150yds and 3TDs against his hometown Bills again now do ya ;) 

You could be seeing a Gronk regardless...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/patriots-reportedly-work-out-rob-gronkowskis-younger-brother/

In a move that means very little for actual football but everything for entertainment, the Patriots appear to be interested in another member of the Gronk family. Could Rob Gronkowski's brother be joining him in New England?

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, the Patriots worked out Glenn Gronkowski on Monday.

Oh yeah I was at the dentist watching the Monday night pregame and they showed Cutler without his helmet warming up.  He has now surpassed Brad Marchand as the biggest looking douchebag in my books.  Glad that Pernall guy(his teammate) bumped him after that terrible pick. 

Image result for jay cutler memes

Image result for jay cutler memes

Edited by Tre Mac

2 hours ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

2 weeks in and it's painfully obvious that the Bills aren't getting anywhere near the playoffs again. :mellow:

2 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

You could be seeing a Gronk regardless...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/patriots-reportedly-work-out-rob-gronkowskis-younger-brother/

In a move that means very little for actual football but everything for entertainment, the Patriots appear to be interested in another member of the Gronk family. Could Rob Gronkowski's brother be joining him in New England?

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, the Patriots worked out Glenn Gronkowski on Monday.

New England is always working out players during the season.  I'd be a bit surprised if they used a roster spot on him though.  A UDFA fullback who can play a little bit at tight end doesn't seem like a need that NE needs fulfilled.

I'm disappointed that after the Bills cut him, they didn't at least sign him to the practice squad.

9 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

New England is always working out players during the season.  I'd be a bit surprised if they used a roster spot on him though.  A UDFA fullback who can play a little bit at tight end doesn't seem like a need that NE needs fulfilled.

I'm disappointed that after the Bills cut him, they didn't at least sign him to the practice squad.

Could make for decent press, though that's not really Belichick's MO.

• Upvote 1

The Seattle Seahawks were once again penalized for violating NFL-NFL Players Association rules that prohibit excessive contact in all offseason workouts.

On Monday the NFL announced the team will be fined $400,000 and will forfeit its first week of 2017 organized team activities (three OTA days). Seattle will also forfeit its fifth-round selection in the 2017 draft. Coach Pete Carroll will be fined $200,000.

The NFL and NFLPA independently reviewed the Seahawks' June 6 on-field practice video and agreed the team violated the "no-live-contact" rule of the collective bargaining agreement. Seahawks coach Pete Carroll shed some light on the violation, telling reporters Monday the penalties were related to two helmet-less players who "banged heads" and got injured during OTAs.

"I've got to do a better job," Carroll said. "We got to make sure we're toeing the line ... we still didn't quite meet the standards the (NFL) wants."

The rule restricting excessive on-field physical contact during OTAs was put in place to enhance player safety by limiting contact during offseason workouts as well as an attempt to prevent teams from gaining a competitive advantage during summer months.

Seattle was previously fined $300,000 in 2014 and docked OTA sessions in 2012 for violating the non-contact rules. Carroll said the team's previous violations probably led to more severe penalties being issued Monday.

The NFL also noted in its announcement that any additional violations by the club will likely result in "significantly higher fines, the cancellation of future OTA days, minicamp days, preseason or regular season practices, as well as the forfeiture of higher-round or multiple draft selections."

For a team that consistently finds diamonds in the rough late in the draft, the forfeiture of a fifth-round pick will sting Carroll and general manager John Schneider.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000705741/article/seahawks-lose-draft-pick-for-violating-offseason-rules

@M A K A V E L I 96

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/seahawks-hit-with-multiple-fines-lose-2017-draft-pick-for-ota-violations/

Cheattle Cheathawks

...hope you're having fun with that Dynasty Carroll built. That entertaining QB style Wilson has compared to Brady really is sustainable for long term success eh ;) 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

It's just a safety measure, probably negotiated for by the NFLPA. 

I get that part, but:

The rule restricting excessive on-field physical contact during OTAs was put in place to enhance player safety by limiting contact during offseason workouts as well as an attempt to prevent teams from gaining a competitive advantage during summer months.

17 minutes ago, Green Building said:

I get that part, but:

Higher intensity leads to greater efficiency I guess? The same rules apply to BC high school football.

12 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

Higher intensity leads to greater efficiency I guess? The same rules apply to BC high school football.

Don't get me started. Such BS. When I played we had 4-5 contact practices a week then games. We were so sick of hitting our buddies that come game time we couldn't wait to lay out other kids. I coach now, and this 3 practices a week with only 1 allowed to be hitting is BS. How are these kids ever gonna learn to safely take a hit and deliver a hit to the ground? 

34 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Don't get me started. Such BS. When I played we had 4-5 contact practices a week then games. We were so sick of hitting our buddies that come game time we couldn't wait to lay out other kids. I coach now, and this 3 practices a week with only 1 allowed to be hitting is BS. How are these kids ever gonna learn to safely take a hit and deliver a hit to the ground? 

It's all part of our coddled participation ribbon generation I guess. I played with a couple guys I'd rather have had to hit/get hit by a little less though haha

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

It's tough but I can definitely see both sides.  I mean on average 12 kids die in highschool playing football in the US every year, something has to be done.  This article details the latest death last week:

http://www.si.com/high-school/2016/09/07/high-school-football-player-death-long-island-new-rochelle

No one wants a concussion especially during practice(we talkin 'bout practice man, practice) so I can see why they would limit tackling but can also see the view of coaches and players about being able to safely practice hitting and being hit. 

As huge of a football fan I am I don't think I'd let my kids play it.  I don't think you can ever heal 100% after a concussion. 

27 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

It's all part of our coddled participation ribbon generation I guess. I played with a couple guys I'd rather have had to hit/get hit by a little less though haha

It honestly pi*ses me off. In my opinion, as both a former player and as a coach, it's less safe to have limited contact then put these boys into games and expect them to go all out. If you want to keep it at 3 practices a week, give us 2 full contact practices. If games are on Fridays/Saturdays, I'd be fine with contact on Tues/Thurs and non contact on Wednesday. Hell, I'd even take a full contact on Tuesday and half contact/half walk through on Thursday. 

5 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

It's tough but I can definitely see both sides.  I mean on average 12 kids die in highschool playing football in the US every year, something has to be done.  This article details the latest death last week:

http://www.si.com/high-school/2016/09/07/high-school-football-player-death-long-island-new-rochelle

No one wants a concussion especially during practice(we talkin 'bout practice man, practice) so I can see why they would limit tackling but can also see the view of coaches and players about being able to safely practice hitting and being hit. 

As huge of a football fan I am I don't think I'd let my kids play it.  I don't think you can ever heal 100% after a concussion. 

I understand protecting them from contact, but I'd rather my kids learn to absorb hits by their friends in practice who aren't trying to rip their heads off, than not do it in practice, not really know how to protect yourself, and have some kid from another city on Friday night hit him as hard as he possibly can. When the body doesn't know how to take a hit, it goes limp right before contact which is when you get whiplash and whatnot. The kids that play community ball as well as high school, you can tell they know how to take a hit because they get more contact during the week. 

• Upvote 3