The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

26 minutes ago, Apple Juice said:

I think they definitely have to draft Saquon Barkley first overall. I don't watch many college football but I've watched a few highlights of him and other top 10 ranked prospects and he definitely wows me. At the #4, either Josh Rosen or Baker Mayfield.. Can't miss either or..

I'm really stoked about Lamar Jackson though. His stats are phenomenal and my coworker is crazy for him. His numbers are unheard of

I agree with taking Saquon #1. Special player. I would not touch either of the QB's you listed with a 10 foot pole however, horrible attitudes and scream of character issues. As for Lamar, fantastic athlete with a great arm. Makes poor decisions when running the ball and doesn't have the Cam Newton esque body that can sustain hits like that in the NFL. Gets trigger happy in the pocket and doesn't have the touch on his throws that every other major QB in the class has.

11 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

I agree with taking Saquon #1. Special player. I would not touch either of the QB's you listed with a 10 foot pole however, horrible attitudes and scream of character issues. As for Lamar, fantastic athlete with a great arm. Makes poor decisions when running the ball and doesn't have the Cam Newton esque body that can sustain hits like that in the NFL. Gets trigger happy in the pocket and doesn't have the touch on his throws that every other major QB in the class has.

Yea. What I've read is Saquon is like another Zeke or Fournette. Polarizing franchise RB. And unless the Browns are willing to pay Cousins big money and paying one or two receivers from free agency this year, they need a quarterback. I think Kizer needs more seasoning or a vet to teach him more of the game but if Cousins is available, the Browns should just throw big money at him.

Gronk is considering changing careers according to a newspaper reporter in Massachusetts.  Gronk wants to go to Hollywood.

http://www.eagletribune.com/sports/source-gronk-considering-retirement-move-to-hollywood/article_9d15f03a-0baa-11e8-a837-dffd8bd68e59.html

Patriots "All-World" tight end Rob Gronkowski is considering retirement to pursue a career in acting, according to a source.

Gronkowski, nicknamed "Gronk," has been told by two Hollywood superstars Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson and Sylvester Stallone, that he could make millions of dollars in action films.

Gronkowski has told friends that the injuries have taken a toll on him.

2 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

Gronk is considering changing careers according to a newspaper reporter in Massachusetts.  Gronk wants to go to Hollywood.

http://www.eagletribune.com/sports/source-gronk-considering-retirement-move-to-hollywood/article_9d15f03a-0baa-11e8-a837-dffd8bd68e59.html

Good for him. In 8 years he has 2 rings, set multiple records and is in 2nd place for a few, and has created the "Gronk" brand for him. He's got a long 50-60 years of life to live ahead of him after football. Get out while you're healthy (relatively). Of course, I'd welcome him back with open arms.

Unfortunately, he'd get type-cast right off the go and probably wouldn't become much of a leading star.

5 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Good for him. In 8 years he has 2 rings, set multiple records and is in 2nd place for a few, and has created the "Gronk" brand for him. He's got a long 50-60 years of life to live ahead of him after football. Get out while you're healthy (relatively). Of course, I'd welcome him back with open arms.

Unfortunately, he'd get type-cast right off the go and probably wouldn't become much of a leading star.

Hopefully he takes acting classes first.  I guess between his back and now his brain, he wants out.  It's hard to blame him.  At the rate he's going, he'll feel like a cripple by the time he's 50.

58 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

137.5 million answers to the question "Why did you guys trade him for an early 2nd round pick"

Jason Kelce will be the new WWE champion in a couple years. Mic skills are fire

He got that amount because he was able to prove himself to a QB needy team.  Had the Pats convinced him to stay, he would have made much less.

He was traded for a 2nd round pick because Belichick was angry about being told he had to get rid of him and he's friends with the Shanahan family.  They had only months previous turned away much better offers for him.  Including a Cleveland offer 2 days prior that was said to feature at least one of their 1st round picks.  Most likely their own which turned out to be this years top pick.  If Belichick traded with Cleveland, he'd have his pick of the litter with this year's big 4 QB's.  Had he gotten them to give up both picks (doubtful, but it is Cleveland after all), he could have 2 of the 4 if he wanted to keep the best one and trade away the second for 2019 draft picks after camp.

Had the Pats won the Superbowl, I think there's a chance that Belichick would have headed to the NYG for the last few years of his career.  I don't think that he liked being told that he had to get rid of the QB that he wanted to be his parting legacy with the Patriots.  So instead of setting Kraft up for the future, he gave him a shot in the ribs by taking a weak return in the trade instead of taking an offer that would have netted him a top QB in this year's draft.

25 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Hopefully he takes acting classes first.  I guess between his back and now his brain, he wants out.  It's hard to blame him.  At the rate he's going, he'll feel like a cripple by the time he's 50.

If I was him I'd retire. He made money, he's still healthy and he has millions lined up in Hollywood. We've seen how football players age and playing this game too long is not very healthy. 

Maybe I'd consider playing a year or two more but as soon as Brady was gone I'd be out.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

He got that amount because he was able to prove himself to a QB needy team.  Had the Pats convinced him to stay, he would have made much less.

He was traded for a 2nd round pick because Belichick was angry about being told he had to get rid of him and he's friends with the Shanahan family.  They had only months previous turned away much better offers for him.  Including a Cleveland offer 2 days prior that was said to feature at least one of their 1st round picks.  Most likely their own which turned out to be this years top pick.  If Belichick traded with Cleveland, he'd have his pick of the litter with this year's big 4 QB's.  Had he gotten them to give up both picks (doubtful, but it is Cleveland after all), he could have 2 of the 4 if he wanted to keep the best one and trade away the second for 2019 draft picks after camp.

Had the Pats won the Superbowl, I think there's a chance that Belichick would have headed to the NYG for the last few years of his career.  I don't think that he liked being told that he had to get rid of the QB that he wanted to be his parting legacy with the Patriots.  So instead of setting Kraft up for the future, he gave him a shot in the ribs by taking a weak return in the trade instead of taking an offer that would have netted him a top QB in this year's draft.

I'd disagree with you. The Cleveland rumors have well been disputed by both those close to the Pats and the Browns. As owner, Kraft has the right to know, and the power to veto any moves he thinks are a hindrance to the team. If the Browns, who everyone expected to be a bottom 3 team, offered their 1st round pick 2 days prior, there's no way in hell he "okay's" the SF move. It was also confirmed by some of the most reputable Pats beat writers, like Mike Reiss, that there was no way they would let him go to an AFC team.  

Also, his agent isn't dumb. He wouldn't have expected 137.5 million, but there's no way he would've left Jimmy stay to be a back up for less money, over making 3,4,5x more and being the starter. 

3 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

I'd disagree with you. The Cleveland rumors have well been disputed by both those close to the Pats and the Browns. As owner, Kraft has the right to know, and the power to veto any moves he thinks are a hindrance to the team. If the Browns, who everyone expected to be a bottom 3 team, offered their 1st round pick 2 days prior, there's no way in hell he "okay's" the SF move. It was also confirmed by some of the most reputable Pats beat writers, like Mike Reiss, that there was no way they would let him go to an AFC team.  

Also, his agent isn't dumb. He wouldn't have expected 137.5 million, but there's no way he would've left Jimmy stay to be a back up for less money, over making 3,4,5x more and being the starter. 

Cleveland reporters say otherwise:

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf/2017/11/cleveland_browns_never_had_a_c.html

The Browns definitely wanted to bid for Garoppolo. They were not discouraged by word that Garoppolo's agent reportedly said his client didn't want to go to Cleveland. Nor that the Patriots backup quarterback could be a free agent in the summer.

The Browns believed:

1. Garoppolo would become excited in Cleveland because he would finally receive a chance to start.

2. The Browns have oodles of salary cap room and could pay him big money to stay.

3. At the worst, they'd franchise him for 2018 and work on a long-term deal after that.

As far as pay, It was said that the Pats were offering Jimmy G a short term contract at low starter pay.  Had he stayed with the Pats, his big payday and starting job would have been only another year or two away.  Both Jimmy G and his agent knew that.  Personally I think Jimmy G wanted out because he was tired of being a backup so it's possible that the Pats could have lost him after this year.  But now we'll never know.

Kraft had already p*ssed off Belichick and there is no way that he'd say no to him on a trade offer that he demanded in the first place.  Hoyer was also unofficially part of that trade as well since Shanahan cut him at Belichick's request so the Pats would have a backup that already knew the system.

15 minutes ago, Van40 said:

Saquon Barkley should go 1st. Once in a decade type talent. Insanely good

I am no scout but I agree, they need offense in the worst way.  Most of the QB's don't impress me much but tbh  I wasn't impress looking up Wentz and Goff stats when they got drafted.  From what I've heard Baker Mayfield might be the biggest disappointment out of him, Rosen and Darnold.  I would maybe trade down the 4th pick, as you can get crazy returns from trading down.  The Browns need help at every offensive starting position sans TE.

10 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

I am no scout but I agree, they need offense in the worst way.  Most of the QB's don't impress me much but tbh  I wasn't impress looking up Wentz and Goff stats when they got drafted.  From what I've heard Baker Mayfield might be the biggest disappointment out of him, Rosen and Darnold.  I would maybe trade down the 4th pick, as you can get crazy returns from trading down.  The Browns need help at every offensive starting position sans TE.

The qbs are scary this year and not in a good way. They could all bust or all be pretty good lol. Barkely is a slam dunk

Edited by Van40

1 hour ago, Van40 said:

Saquon Barkley should go 1st. Once in a decade type talent. Insanely good

I agree. Barkley first, Darnold 4. I love Darnold, I love his mobility, compete, and instincts, but you will have a chance to get both of them if you take Barkley 1

52 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Browns have pick #4

59 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Cleveland reporters say otherwise:

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf/2017/11/cleveland_browns_never_had_a_c.html

As far as pay, It was said that the Pats were offering Jimmy G a short term contract at low starter pay.  Had he stayed with the Pats, his big payday and starting job would have been only another year or two away.  Both Jimmy G and his agent knew that.  Personally I think Jimmy G wanted out because he was tired of being a backup so it's possible that the Pats could have lost him after this year.  But now we'll never know.

Kraft had already p*ssed off Belichick and there is no way that he'd say no to him on a trade offer that he demanded in the first place.  Hoyer was also unofficially part of that trade as well since Shanahan cut him at Belichick's request so the Pats would have a backup that already knew the system.

Brady's playing more than 1 or 2 more years. Unless he wins a ring the next 2 years in a row, he'll be playing in 2021. I personally believe that's going to be his last season. And I don't blame Jimmy G for not wanting to wait until he's what, 29 going on 30 to be the Pats starter. And from what Pluto writes, it goes with the Pats writers stating there was no way Jimmy was going to an AFC team and be a direct threat for the next 10-15 years. Belichick and Shanahan also have a really good relationship, so it worked out as a win-win for Belichick, do his buddy a solid and get Jimmy out of the conference. I don't doubt that the Patriots would have paid him a starter's salary, but Jimmy knew Brady isn't hanging them up after this season or next.