The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

23 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Brady's playing more than 1 or 2 more years. Unless he wins a ring the next 2 years in a row, he'll be playing in 2021. I personally believe that's going to be his last season. And I don't blame Jimmy G for not wanting to wait until he's what, 29 going on 30 to be the Pats starter. And from what Pluto writes, it goes with the Pats writers stating there was no way Jimmy was going to an AFC team and be a direct threat for the next 10-15 years. Belichick and Shanahan also have a really good relationship, so it worked out as a win-win for Belichick, do his buddy a solid and get Jimmy out of the conference. I don't doubt that the Patriots would have paid him a starter's salary, but Jimmy knew Brady isn't hanging them up after this season or next.

Boston journalists are petrified of p*ssing off the Patriots.  It's pretty cringe-worthy watching a media session between them and Belichick.  In comparison, Belichick must love Buffalo media.  I listened to the media day recordings this year between him and the reporters here and at one point, he even told a story (I forget about what) he was talking so much in comparison to what he does in Boston.  Boston reporters have to get their information second and sometimes third hand it seems.

Cleveland would have been the perfect place to put him.  At worse, they would see him once every 2-3 years in the regular season and if the stars line up correctly in Ohio, 2 or 3 times at most in the playoffs.  This is a Pats organization that traded Bledsoe to a division rival years ago well before there was an established dynasty.

According to reports, Bill Belichick was getting ready to trade Brady away by next year at the latest if he could have gotten Kraft to sign off on it.  Although the same reporters had said, short of a Brady collapse next season, that Kraft would immediately veto any Brady trade proposal because he considers Brady to be like a son.

I personally think Garoppolo was going to ultimately turn down anything less than 20 million/yr. and leave at the end of the season so the Pats were going to lose him unless they were willing to hurt their cap room.  The point is that reality had other plans and had Belichick taken Cleveland's offer they would have made out like Bandits instead of getting a 2nd round pick and a handshake deal with a has-been backup QB that could have signed with somebody else and left the Pats in the lurch.

When we first traded for Jimmy G I was skeptical, I was more on board to draft one of the top QBs in the draft with what would have been a top 3 pick.  However, the guy is an absolute baller, and I feel silly for ever thinking it wasn't worth us giving up a 2nd.   He might be overpaid by a few $M a season, but if that's what it took to keep him around I'm all for it.

I have full faith that he will be a top tier QB for the duration of this contract.  If he can get us to the playoffs in the next couple of seasons it will definitely be worth it.

33 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

A lot of money to give to a guy with 7 career starts. I woulda franchise tagged him, then evaluate at the end of next season

It's a crazy amount but QB salaries are about to skyrocket again this off-season.  It's a good gamble to take on the 49ers part though.  I'm curious on how much money is guaranteed in his contract because that's the money that can bite you in the butt if you have to cut or trade a player. 

Kirk Cousins is going to be getting a higher amount soon once the expected bidding war starts in March for his slightly above mediocrity. 

Aaron Rodgers is looking for a raise by way of a high priced extension.  Basically he's looking to rip up the current contract terms and spread in more cash with the remaining two years left for the "privilege" of signing him for an extra 3 or 4 years.

Then you've got Matt Ryan wanting a ginormous raise after his contract is up next year.

I'm sure there's more QB contracts expiring soon that I'm not remembering as well.

7 minutes ago, Jägermeister said:

When we first traded for Jimmy G I was skeptical, I was more on board to draft one of the top QBs in the draft with what would have been a top 3 pick.  However, the guy is an absolute baller, and I feel silly for ever thinking it wasn't worth us giving up a 2nd.   He might be overpaid by a few $M a season, but if that's what it took to keep him around I'm all for it.

I have full faith that he will be a top tier QB for the duration of this contract.  If he can get us to the playoffs in the next couple of seasons it will definitely be worth it.

I think his contract will look like a smart deal in 2 or 3 years.  Unless he starts to suck of course.  Then the dead cap money after a trade or cut will hurt.

4 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

He got that amount because he was able to prove himself to a QB needy team.  Had the Pats convinced him to stay, he would have made much less.

He was traded for a 2nd round pick because Belichick was angry about being told he had to get rid of him and he's friends with the Shanahan family.  They had only months previous turned away much better offers for him.  Including a Cleveland offer 2 days prior that was said to feature at least one of their 1st round picks.  Most likely their own which turned out to be this years top pick.  If Belichick traded with Cleveland, he'd have his pick of the litter with this year's big 4 QB's.  Had he gotten them to give up both picks (doubtful, but it is Cleveland after all), he could have 2 of the 4 if he wanted to keep the best one and trade away the second for 2019 draft picks after camp.

Had the Pats won the Superbowl, I think there's a chance that Belichick would have headed to the NYG for the last few years of his career.  I don't think that he liked being told that he had to get rid of the QB that he wanted to be his parting legacy with the Patriots.  So instead of setting Kraft up for the future, he gave him a shot in the ribs by taking a weak return in the trade instead of taking an offer that would have netted him a top QB in this year's draft.

Interesting theory. I'd go bananas if we had the Browns #1 overall pick and would look to hope that we draft Barkley. 

1 minute ago, Apple Juice said:

Interesting theory. I'd go bananas if we had the Browns #1 overall pick and would look to hope that we draft Barkley. 

I wish I could take credit for the theory.  I'm basically parroting what I've read in articles over the past few months.

34 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

I know, I would trade down that pick if the offers are good and take Barkley 1st overall 

I'd take Darnold. Mind you I am way higher on him than a lot of people are, because I know that when he is playing well (especially with a good back like Barkley) and has protection his offense is unstoppable

Edited by ReggieBush

15 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

Boston journalists are petrified of p*ssing off the Patriots.  It's pretty cringe-worthy watching a media session between them and Belichick.  In comparison, Belichick must love Buffalo media.  I listened to the media day recordings this year between him and the reporters here and at one point, he even told a story (I forget about what) he was talking so much in comparison to what he does in Boston.  Boston reporters have to get their information second and sometimes third hand it seems.

Cleveland would have been the perfect place to put him.  At worse, they would see him once every 2-3 years in the regular season and if the stars line up correctly in Ohio, 2 or 3 times at most in the playoffs.  This is a Pats organization that traded Bledsoe to a division rival years ago well before there was an established dynasty.

According to reports, Bill Belichick was getting ready to trade Brady away by next year at the latest if he could have gotten Kraft to sign off on it.  Although the same reporters had said, short of a Brady collapse next season, that Kraft would immediately veto any Brady trade proposal because he considers Brady to be like a son.

I personally think Garoppolo was going to ultimately turn down anything less than 20 million/yr. and leave at the end of the season so the Pats were going to lose him unless they were willing to hurt their cap room.  The point is that reality had other plans and had Belichick taken Cleveland's offer they would have made out like Bandits instead of getting a 2nd round pick and a handshake deal with a has-been backup QB that could have signed with somebody else and left the Pats in the lurch.

Despite only playing him once every 2-3 years, he'd be a known obstacle in the playoffs. Just like how now AFC teams know they have to "go through" Brady and Belichick, they didn't want Jimmy G being a thorn in their side. I think an extremely low 2nd round pick for Jimmy G was good, for a guy that would've walked anyways and we might've gotten a 4th or 5th round compensatory pick. All depends on what that 2nd round pick turns into. If he turns into a star, people will compare that player to Garoppolo when referencing the trade and will call it even (unless of course Jimmy G goes on a Patriots type dynasty run). On the flip side, if he flops, it'll look like Jimmy G was lost for nothing anyways. Also, Belichick might've also screwed the Browns out of the trade (if the rumors are true) because I have read he does have some ill will towards the franchise for the move during his time. Making minor trades with them is fine, but me thinks a small part of him enjoys their turmoil, especially because he feels he could've continued making improvements there.

Also, pretty sure Brady would himself veto any trade by means of retire. For a guy who loves his family as much as he does, and his mom getting some treatment in Boston, I don't see him living out of a hotel in some city for 5 months playing out a last year. 

1 hour ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Despite only playing him once every 2-3 years, he'd be a known obstacle in the playoffs. Just like how now AFC teams know they have to "go through" Brady and Belichick, they didn't want Jimmy G being a thorn in their side. I think an extremely low 2nd round pick for Jimmy G was good, for a guy that would've walked anyways and we might've gotten a 4th or 5th round compensatory pick. All depends on what that 2nd round pick turns into. If he turns into a star, people will compare that player to Garoppolo when referencing the trade and will call it even (unless of course Jimmy G goes on a Patriots type dynasty run). On the flip side, if he flops, it'll look like Jimmy G was lost for nothing anyways. Also, Belichick might've also screwed the Browns out of the trade (if the rumors are true) because I have read he does have some ill will towards the franchise for the move during his time. Making minor trades with them is fine, but me thinks a small part of him enjoys their turmoil, especially because he feels he could've continued making improvements there.

Also, pretty sure Brady would himself veto any trade by means of retire. For a guy who loves his family as much as he does, and his mom getting some treatment in Boston, I don't see him living out of a hotel in some city for 5 months playing out a last year. 

We're both basically speculating.  I agree with most of the sports reporters out there.  You only partially do.

I was just waiting for you to disagree with my Boston reporters have terrible access to the Pats comment.  I had video and some articles lined up to prove it.  Then later in the day, the Boston Globe hoax story happened.  It was like mana from heaven.  Then you had to go and ruin it by not disagreeing with me! :lol:

Just in case you don't know what's going on with The Boston Globe hoax, here's an article to catch you up:  http://www.weei.com/blogs/rob-bradford/kc-herald-story-tom-brady-holdout-product-hoax

20 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

We're both basically speculating.  I agree with most of the sports reporters out there.  You only partially do.

I was just waiting for you to disagree with my Boston reporters have terrible access to the Pats comment.  I had video and some articles lined up to prove it.  Then later in the day, the Boston Globe hoax story happened.  It was like mana from heaven.  Then you had to go and ruin it by not disagreeing with me! :lol:

Just in case you don't know what's going on with The Boston Globe hoax, here's an article to catch you up:  http://www.weei.com/blogs/rob-bradford/kc-herald-story-tom-brady-holdout-product-hoax

Haha I definitely don't disagree. They don't want to lose their access. No reporter wants to be the one to lose access to covering a dynasty. It sucks because you get the same type of stories coming out all the time. But it's why I like Mike Reiss who is the beat reporter for ESPN Boston. He's very objective with his reporting, and is never in favor, or against the team, he purely writes on facts and doesn't state his own opinion. He also does a lot of polling which I like. The other guy I follow is Jeff Howe, but that's because he's more comedian than a reporter lol. 

Having Football withdrawals.  Can't wait for the draft, here's a free draft list from NFL.com for each position:

With the NFL Scouting Combine beginning in two weeks, Mike Mayock unveils the first of his position-by-position rankings for the 2018 NFL Draft.

Quarterback

1. Sam Darnold, USC
2. Josh Allen, Wyoming
3. Josh Rosen, UCLA
4. Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma
T-5. Lamar Jackson, Louisville
T-5. Mason Rudolph, Oklahoma State

Running Back

1. Saquon Barkley, Penn State
2. Derrius Guice, LSU
3. Ronald Jones II, USC
4. Sony Michel, Georgia
5. Nick Chubb, Georgia

Wide receiver

1. Calvin Ridley, Alabama
2. Christian Kirk, Texas A&M
3. Courtland Sutton, SMU
4. James Washington, Oklahoma State
T-5. Dante Pettis, Washington
T-5. DJ Moore, Maryland
T-5. Anthony Miller, Memphis

Tight end

1. Hayden Hurst, South Carolina
2. Dallas Goedert, South Dakota State
3. Mike Gesicki, Penn State
4. Mark Andrews, Oklahoma
5. Will Dissly, Washington

Tackle

1. Mike McGlinchey, Notre Dame
2. Orlando Brown, Oklahoma
3. Connor Williams, Texas
4. Tyrell Crosby, Oregon
T-5. Martinas Rankin, Mississippi State
T-5. Kolton Miller, UCLA

Interior OL

1. Quenton Nelson, Notre Dame
2. Isaiah Wynn, Georgia
3. James Daniels, Iowa
4. Will Hernandez, UTEP
5. Billy Price, Ohio State

Interior DL

1. Vita Vea, Washington
2. Da'Ron Payne, Alabama
3. Maurice Hurst, Michigan
4. Taven Bryan, Florida
5. Harrison Phillips, Stanford

Edge rusher

1. Bradley Chubb, N.C. State
2. Marcus Davenport, UTSA
3. Arden Key, LSU
4. Harold Landry, Boston College
5. Sam Hubbard, Ohio State

Linebacker

1. Tremaine Edmunds, Virginia Tech
2. Roquan Smith, Georgia
3. Leighton Vander Esch, Boise State
4. Rashaan Evans, Alabama
5. Uchenna Nwosu, USC

Cornerback

1. Denzel Ward, Ohio State
2. Josh Jackson, Iowa
3. Mike Hughes, UCF
4. Isaiah Oliver, Colorado
5. Jaire Alexander, Louisville

Safety

1. Minkah Fitzpatrick, Alabama
2. Derwin James, Florida State
3. Ronnie Harrison, Alabama
4. Jessie Bates III, Wake Forest
5. Justin Reid, Stanford

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000916367/article/mike-mayocks-2018-nfl-draft-position-rankings

One gator made the list!

On 07/02/2018 at 7:57 PM, Apple Juice said:

I think they definitely have to draft Saquon Barkley first overall. I don't watch many college football but I've watched a few highlights of him and other top 10 ranked prospects and he definitely wows me. At the #4, either Josh Rosen or Baker Mayfield.. Can't miss either or..

I'm really stoked about Lamar Jackson though. His stats are phenomenal and my coworker is crazy for him. His numbers are unheard of

Lamar put up a ton of numbers in garbage time because he never got taken out.  He's good but his numbers are very inflated by this.

1 hour ago, Van40 said:

@Tre Mac Rashaad Penny isn't a top five rb? Watch out for him!

Ha, not my list, I am just a paster.  This is from Mike Mayock from NFL.com.  There are some good ESPN mock drafts but you got to subscribe and I aint got time fo dat.

On 17/02/2018 at 4:54 AM, Tre Mac said:

Ha, not my list, I am just a paster.  This is from Mike Mayock from NFL.com.  There are some good ESPN mock drafts but you got to subscribe and I aint got time fo dat.

I don't watch much college football. Just came across his highlights and then checked out his crazy statistics. Definitely a hidden gem.