The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

Saw a game from somewhere on the internet the other day and thought I'd propose to you all the question of:

If you could build the perfect QB using only current ones who would you use?

And to make it a little more difficult I'll say you can only use each player once.

Football IQ/Decision Making/Field Vision of: Peyton Manning

Arm Strength of: Colin Kaepernick

Accuracy of: Aaron Rodgers

Body of: Cam Newton

Scrambling ability of: Russell Wilson

Pocket awareness/ability to escape a sack of: Ben Roethlisberger

Leadership of: Tom Brady

Comeback ability of: Andrew Luck

If theres a category you want to include feel free to add

Saturday night live hosting ability : Peyton Manning

Hotdog eating ability : Rick Mirer

Chicken Finger Scouting : Mark Sanchise

My fellow Eagles fans with Foles confirmed out for the next 4-6 weeks minimum how confident are you in Mark Sanchez holding up?

I'm encouraged by Sanchez and his ability to get the ball out of his hands quickly he doesn't have as good arm strength as Foles but is more mobile and should help spark the running game if they decide to use the read option more.

Foles is not a threat to run but with Sanchez at the very least he is mobile enough to respect his ability to keep himself and take off for a first down.

I honestly think Sanchez fits the Eagles system better than Foles.

I see Foles in a similar manner to what happened with Vick in his first starting season with the Eagles. Vick played 12 games that year and posted 30 TDs (9 rushing) with 7 Turnovers (1 fumble). Comparable to Foles who played 13 games and posted 30 TDs (3 rushing) with 2 Turnovers. Both seasons were amazing to the unreal level but not telling of the QB's real flaws. Vick was a QB with many very bad fundamental flaws and after that season his TD and turnover ratio remained basically evenly split.

Foles seems like the exact same thing to me. Outside of those monster numbers last year he shows concerning fundamental issues from holding the ball to long, significant accuracy issues on deep passes, struggling to read defenses, and simply bone head forced plays such as regularly throwing into triple coverage and throwing off his back foot or while someone is grabbing him (biggest reason his INT's are so high). When addressing it a while back I forget the quote but he said he was just going out there and taking risks, it's part of his game.

On the other hand Sanchez's career hasn't been great but he will stuck in Rex Ryan's offense all his career. Rex Ryan has proven himself to be an embarrassment of a coach when it comes to offense. On top of the system Sanchez never had much to work with in weapons and didn't have a run game to aid him. Sanchez looks like he has superior fundamentals to Foles though. He was accurate and read the defense well. In situations he knew where to place the ball such as his TD's to Matthew's and Maclin they were pretty well covered but he put the ball in perfect positions where they had a chance. Even his INT's in that game weren't bad. The 1st one was an on target pass that hit Huff in the hands and he knocked it to the defender. The 2nd INT intended for Cooper looked bad but both Sanchez and Cooper reaction appeared to imply a missed communication where Cooper ran a different route which would be something worked out with Sanchez getting 1st team reps.

Really though I think we will see Sanchez handle the offense better and even if his production isn't higher than when Foles ran it I am confident the turnovers will be significantly improved.

^Also consider the fact that Sanchez isn't in a big NFL market like the New York Jets compared to the Philadelphia Eagles. Not as much NFL coverage on the Eagles, IMO, compared to the Jets, who are always being talked about and in the spotlight.

It's a smaller market than New York yes, but Philly is a HUUUUGE market. Either way, Sanchez is a tool.

^Also consider the fact that Sanchez isn't in a big NFL market like the New York Jets compared to the Philadelphia Eagles. Not as much NFL coverage on the Eagles, IMO, compared to the Jets, who are always being talked about and in the spotlight.

Kind of like what the other guy said. Philly is a smaller market than New York but it's still a massive market. Though the pressure won't be as intense on him since he is the back up QB still. If you remember in the past fans would really go after McNabb and support the back ups like Jeff Garcia and AJ Feeley. But basically with Sanchez to the Eagles he isn't being judged as a top 5 draft pick who is supposed to be a star, he is just seen as a reliable back up QB. So if he ends up playing poorly logically they won't blame the back up. They will likely blame injuries or coach management.

Kind of like what we see in Dallas. Romo is the one who gets flamed but when he gets hurt and Weeden or Kitna in the past comes in and stinks it up they blame the injury or playcalling trying to do to much with a back up.

However I actually think Sanchez handles pressure well. Even in New York if you look at his last playoffs it was in 2010 and he played all 3 games on the road. First at the Colts, then at the Patriots, then at the Steelers. They beat the Colts and Patriots and lost in a close game to the Steelers. Those were really the 3 NFL powerhouse teams at that time and in those games Sanchez posted good numbers including 5 TDs and 1 INT. I really just think the Jets offense is bad news in general.

Drew Bledsoe ripped into them a bit the other day.

“Going to play quarterback for the Jets … it’s kind of like, you know when they used to take the pretty young virgin up to the edge of the volcano and then just throw them in?” Bledsoe said. “That’s kind of what it is when you play quarterback for the Jets. It just feels bad."