The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cody Hodgson, Unforgotten Canuck

Yolo764

I beg to differ. I live and breathe the Canucks.

This was what Gillis promised; "bold moves" which would be the signature of his tenure as GM, and his manipulation of conventional wisdom to gain us a cup.

I called for Gillis's scalp as an over reaction on the day of the trade, but stand by my opinion it was a mistake. And despite that opinion, I still believe in Gillis's overall body of work and cheer for the Canucks, including Kassian. Oh, the bold move?

Gillis traded a productive, coming into his prime, dynamic young player showing first signs of being a game breaker for an unproven prospect. This was the move this GM made to get the team we all believed was a cup contender over the top.

Anyone who says we have won this trade, because Hodgson was a whiner is brainwashed.

We will retain value, Kassian remains a great prospect. And his work this summer looks very encouraging. I agree with one thing pointed out by OLDNEWS, the trade addressed a dreadful shortage of depth at RW and in physical players. The trade did not deliver as promised, but this remains its potential!

I remember the hype over acquiring a 228 lb winger who CDC'ers dreamed would thrash Lucic as our play off saviour. But I also remember the image of Kassian eating Nacho's in the press box. And then the thread surfaced earlier this summer questioning the wisdom of him training himself back to 212 or 215 lb's we now see in training video's and commercials posted online. Put the two together, and its obvious Kassian was out of shape and not the guy we should have taken; if this trade was really about a push to win the cup. The facts are this; that was what we were sold when the trade was made. This was a bold move, but we lost in the first round and MG's moves at the deadline did little to help us. If the trade was about something different, we should have been told at the time.

As a Canuck fan; I reserve the right to call B.S. I also take solace in that it will still turn around. It does not make me less a fan. I'll just say some fans blind faith is equal parts admirable, and gullible!

MG should have stood up on trade day and said, "hey look, over the last 3 years we have had trouble getting all the right things done with Hodgson, and there are still some issues. So even though he's starting to look promising, we are making a decision to move on to a different prospect who has the potential to help us...!" Instead, you know what he told us?

And my message for those who hate these threads; just ask Gillis to be a straight shooter. He's still a very good GM, but that is what we loved about Burke.

There is no high road in this discusion you have to make your mind up .. are you a Canuck fan or a Hodgson fan? To wish Hodgson to score the winning goal against the Canucks is pathetic as well as wishing Kassian to fail so you can gloat. Kassian had nothing to do in this crap between Hodgson and the Canucks he was just a piece in the trade but now he has to take the dirt thown at him by guys like you who will be over him like s..t on a blanket.

Cody Hodgson had captain potential, but we threw him away. And Grabner has 70 goal potential. (Matt Moulson quote) But... WE THREW HIM AWAY!

God-damn, that's a lot of potential we threw away. It's like they could only reach their potential elsewhere or something.

I beg to differ. I live and breathe the Canucks.

This was what Gillis promised; "bold moves" which would be the signature of his tenure as GM, and his manipulation of conventional wisdom to gain us a cup.

I called for Gillis's scalp as an over reaction on the day of the trade, but stand by my opinion it was a mistake. And despite that opinion, I still believe in Gillis's overall body of work and cheer for the Canucks, including Kassian. Oh, the bold move?

Gillis traded a productive, coming into his prime, dynamic young player showing first signs of being a game breaker for an unproven prospect. This was the move this GM made to get the team we all believed was a cup contender over the top.

Anyone who says we have won this trade, because Hodgson was a whiner is brainwashed.

We will retain value, Kassian remains a great prospect. And his work this summer looks very encouraging. I agree with one thing pointed out by OLDNEWS, the trade addressed a dreadful shortage of depth at RW and in physical players. The trade did not deliver as promised, but this remains its potential!

I remember the hype over acquiring a 228 lb winger who CDC'ers dreamed would thrash Lucic as our play off saviour. But I also remember the image of Kassian eating Nacho's in the press box. And then the thread surfaced earlier this summer questioning the wisdom of him training himself back to 212 or 215 lb's we now see in training video's and commercials posted online. Put the two together, and its obvious Kassian was out of shape and not the guy we should have taken; if this trade was really about a push to win the cup. The facts are this; that was what we were sold when the trade was made. This was a bold move, but we lost in the first round and MG's moves at the deadline did little to help us. If the trade was about something different, we should have been told at the time.

As a Canuck fan; I reserve the right to call B.S. I also take solace in that it will still turn around. It does not make me less a fan. I'll just say some fans blind faith is equal parts admirable, and gullible!

MG should have stood up on trade day and said, "hey look, over the last 3 years we have had trouble getting all the right things done with Hodgson, and there are still some issues. So even though he's starting to look promising, we are making a decision to move on to a different prospect who has the potential to help us...!" Instead, you know what he told us?

And my message for those who hate these threads; just ask Gillis to be a straight shooter. He's still a very good GM, but that is what we loved about Burke.

What is distressing to me is that Gillis figured Kassian would make an impact come playoff time.

Whether it was him or his scouting staff that came up with that assessment, it was ridiculous. Any educated hockey fan could plainly see he was not ready to make much of a difference.

I really hope the kid fulfills his potential.

Pahlsson was not the anchor for the 3rd line, Higgins and Hansen make the 3rd line work. Put anyone in between Higgins and Hansen and you have a solid 3rd line. Ask Lapierre and Hodgson. And besides, the PhD line was dismantled after Game 1 of the playoffs as the main anchor, Higgins, was moved to the 2nd line.

You do mean the 'speculative theories' that PITB's Wagner posted and then retracted that created all the problems-right,Oldnews?

He suggests that as a 'blogger' his words carried no responsibility and yet he created an entire controversy/situation,did he not?

"At the beginning of the month, I wrote a post regarding the source of the complaints over Cody Hodgson’s ice time. In it, I advanced the theory that the source may well be Ritch Winter, Hodgson’s agent, who may have spoken to Tony Gallagher, who then ran with the comments on the radio and in The Province. It was speculative, certainly, but I felt there was enough circumstantial evidence to ask the question.

Ouch. I’m more than willing to accept blame when I am at fault, and he is absolutely right that I should have attempted to contact him. I wrote an article based on a theory, one that I still believe has a logical basis, but I did not attempt to confirm any of the particulars with him. I should have and I will hopefully be able to rectify that soon." Daniel Wagner PITB author

Five Canucks forwards scored at the half a point per game pace + last year-Sedins,Burrows,Kes and Higgins.

Cody also scored at that rate - in his rookie season,as did Grabner.

It ain't about throwing away potential,T.O.M. Laugh.

They 'threw away' bonafide scorers that were top six Canuck point producers,already-in their rookie seasons.

It was way past 'potential' time and into the .5 point per NHL game production realm.

Big difference.

.... in the end, it was also evident that Hodgson, despite his offensive talent, was nothing resembling a player about to deliver a Cup to Vancouver. This is essentially what makes all the complaints about the deal so ridiculous.

Yup. I remember they all looked good playing in our top-6 in the playoffs. Bonafide. Already.

And wow, that hot-streak by Grabner... That was a long time ago now, but i sure remember it. Without it, who knows. He might kindof been a 32pt -18 type player. Top six. Bonafide.

You write excellent posts,oldnews,for the most part.

Two - fourth rounders for a guy that puts up two goals and you believe he ranks as the best third liner in Canucks history -this guy that bolted as fast as possible from the team at the end of his 19 game body of work.

You should have fully clarified that Hodgson is as proven as any other ROOKIE that scored 19 goals and 41 points in his first year in the league and that his defensive game will most likely be improved with his time spent in the league going forward.

I want to see a tribute to Gillis.The one where Roberts gets to pay him tribute and we see Gillis telling AV he did not mean what he said and then Gillis telling the media Kassian is NHL ready right now and then throwing his first ever draft pick under the bus when the heat got too hot.

That should be followed by every interview where Hodgson spoke positively about the team,the organisation and his time here.

Maybe we could get the agent to clarify the relationship between Mike and himself and then have Mr Hodgson Sr. clarify just whom said what for which purposes in the wrap up.

Yeah,that is the video I am waiting to see.

Last time I checked, neither Winter nor Hodgson was GM of the Canucks.

Sure Pahlsson effectively was Hodgson's replacement. It minimizes little of MG's commentary that CoHo was being traded for a difference maker in the play off's. That portion of the trade was a fail.

A large contingent of fans are giving Gillis a free pass on this. I'm simply of the camp that thinks it should be part of his overall evaluation. He returned to the good side of the ledger with Garrison buying some time. To me he's still got to pull the right moves with Lou, our cap and prospects to pull out a winner.

Your argument that that trade was supposed to be all about last year's Cup run has completely forgotten that Gillis also acquired Pahlsson at the same time - who in replacing Hodgson actually played very well in Vancouver - the third line was far and away the best line down the stretch. The problem with last year's Cup run was a decimated second line, and a first line that was not able to score enough all season long to compensate for that fact.

The comments about straight shooting lack no ironing when it comes to dealings with Winters and Hodgson. Again, I suggest you read the agent's response to PITB, and get back to us on that one, or simply take a look at the effect they had on Gallagher, and all the resulting alarmism in his articles about the dire consequences that will result if Hodgson is not given more of Hank and Kesler's ice time.

At that point you might revisit your claims that people who had enough of the Hodgson camp are "brainwashed".

Last time I checked, neither Winter nor Hodgson was GM of the Canucks.

Sure Pahlsson effectively was Hodgson's replacement. It minimizes little of MG's commentary that CoHo was being traded for a difference maker in the play off's. That portion of the trade was a fail.

A large contingent of fans are giving Gillis a free pass on this. I'm simply of the camp that thinks it should be part of his overall evaluation. He returned to the good side of the ledger with Garrison buying some time. To me he's still got to pull the right moves with Lou, our cap and prospects to pull out a winner.

Nevermind pretending that that's a huge accolade or something, but what about the possibility that he's just a one-dimensional 32pt scorer who managed an extended hot-streak once?

Anyway, we could go around in circles forever, nuck nit. My original lol stands. In that there will always be a constant reminder of how we once had Hodgson and Grabner. You've proved my point. Thanks.

The bottom line is that Gillis is th GM-paid handsomely to run an organisation.

That includes protecting your players so that other potential players sense cohesion to come to the Canucks organisation and play.

This was a P.R. disaster and it was not orchestrated by a rookie or his agent routinely asking for more playing minutes.

Archived