The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Bieksa making a case for captaincy?

zombieksa

Why people do this is beyond reason, Hank is our captain period and even when he retires I doubt very much we want a flopper like Kesler as our captain. Bieksa would make a good captain but were not there yet so quit waisting our time with this.

Why people do this is beyond reason, Hank is our captain period and even when he retires I doubt very much we want a flopper like Kesler as our captain. Bieksa would make a good captain but were not there yet so quit waisting

our time with this.

No. I was making a discussion thread that had a topic of Bieksa having the merits to become captain if Henrik were to retire in a few years with Bieksa still actively contributing on the roster. Never did I mention usurping the throne.

Well, you created a thread to suggest Bieksa was doing charitable things, raising a family and being funny on twitter and in interviews to try and supplant Henrik as captain. That's arguably a pretty suggestive thread that really isn't about a discussion - unless it's a discussion about how you're applying to become Tony Gallagher's replacement when he retires.

No. I was making a discussion thread that had a topic of Bieksa having the merits to become captain if Henrik were to retire in a few years with Bieksa still actively contributing on the roster. Never did I mention usurping the throne.

Don't get your panties in a knot people, it's not unreasonable that people would think that's the reason for the thread. If you don't like me discussing that part of it, that is people's feeling on why the thread was created, then perhaps you should not bother replying yourself.

And by the way, supplant has more than the meaning you're negatively reacting too:

Fell free to look up supersede if you're still confused.

I'd already said on the first page how I don't believe he's doing anything with a mind for future aspirations. He's not planning his ascension to become the next mayor of Grimsby, just being a nice guy and giving back to the community considering the wealth he has, and being a good teammate and open to the media in the process.

I know that Hank is our current captain and behind him most people believe Kesler is the next best choice but lets look at Kevin as the next leader of the team.

Kevin most likely has a fair few seasons left in him, even if he is pushed to a bottom 4 role he will most likely still be around when the twins retire.

- He is probably the best Canuck at handling press, and even during the lockout is constantly on radio stations doing interviews

- Had to deal with several seasons of terrible scrutiny, dealt with it maturely.

- Started mindcheck

- remains charitable even during the lockout

- is already a leader as an away alternate captain

-Is a fan favourite, a family man, and exudes the qualities of a true Canuck.

So, what do you think, should Kevin be the next captain of thhe Vancouver Canucks even if for onky 2-4 seasons?

I don't think making Kevin Bieksa would make a good captain, Bieksa is only one year younger than Henrik Sedin, so when Henrik does retire I think it would be about the same time Bieska retires too. As well, I think Henrik is good with the general public as well as he is a fan favorite so there would not be a need to make him captain over Henrik.

If he had the balls to go after Keith or Runty in Boston ya maybe. If that happened in Smyl's day he would have waited for the next shift, or next game they met and gone right after them. That's what a captain does. By no means is Bieksa not a very good player and an important part of the team, but he just doesn't bring the grit he used to when he started in the league and I think the next captain on the nucks needs that. Henrik is so elite that it doesn't matter but we don't have an elite guy to fill that spot then you need a guy who leads the team with emotion. One could argue Hammer is elite on D and could play that role and I could see that.

My thought, groom Kassian. He will have 5 years with the Sedin's still around, by that point he will be 26. Develop his offensive game by letting him play top 2 lines. Allow him to unleash his temper, AV tried to keep it in check, its an asset, it intimidates, thats part of the game. And have Henrik, Daniel, Hammer coach him on how to lead in the room, off the ice, and on.

My hope is that Zack is the next captain of this team, and if he is, it will mean he has turned into a beauty.

Archived