The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Bieksa making a case for captaincy?

zombieksa

It's no secret that Bieksa has assumed a leadership role without having to make it official with a badge. He's considered the spokesman of the team and I like the fact that this team can share the load and allow for others to step up in different capacities. Hank's obviously the on ice "Captain" and, in the community, Bieksa is the one who is always available for comment and accessible.

It's no secret that Bieksa has assumed a leadership role without having to make it official with a badge. He's considered the spokesman of the team and I like the fact that this team can share the load and allow for others to step up different capacities. Hank's obviously the on ice "Captain" and, in the community, Bieksa is the one who is always available for comment and

accessible.

I love Bieksa I am a huge fan of his and I feel that he is a major cog more so than Kesler and one of the most important members of our team that said I'm not sure he has the talent level to be a captain. I would probably vote for Hamhuis to be captain before him of our current roster players. But of course the Captaincy belongs to Henrik and rightfully so I can't see that changing for quite some time. Bieksa surely deserves to be a full time ass cap tho.

FIRST OF ALL, I'm SURE it was mature to facepalm me for making PERFECTLY valid points that you just didn't end up liking:

BRTky.jpg?1321408042

SECONDLY, having a player with the personality and boldness to antagonize opponents as the leader will SURELY bode well for team success (good luck leading from the penalty box, Mr. Lapierre!)

Look, it's not the leader's job to do headhunting, smart guy; why would you necessarily want the leader, a valuable member of the team, to be someone so polarizing and volatile? (It's not like my recommendation won't stand up for himself or make pivotal physical or defensive plays, just as Mr. Lucic who he flipped; at least he has the sense to not jeopardize his team's chances by being an utter GOON when he knows that he's more valuable making plays than sitting in the box for slashing or mouthing off).

Bieksa over Kesler any day of the week. You don't want a guy with such ridiculous diving antics being your captain, because you dont want your young players thinking its ok. Bieksa seems to be held in high regard inside the dressing room, he is a team first guy, and just a general beauty all around. That being said, if something crazy happened, and we lost Henrik to injury or something, Daniel Sedin is my next choice for captain, with Bieksa sitting in 3rd. Malhotra would be right up there if not for his decline following the injury.

My rankings:

1.Henrik Sedin

2.Daniel Sedin

3.Kevin Bieksa

4.Alex Burrows

5.Dan Hamhuis

I would heavily respect Bieksa as Captain. He probably would be odd's on favorite followed closely by Hamhuis.

But my pick, and around the league (in Boston anyway) it would raise eyebrows, is Burrows!

Who else epitomizes the Rocky Balboa we all see in ourselves; who can come from the ECHL and work his way all the way up as the surprising but now steady workhorse on one of (if not) THE most productive lines of NHL in the last 5 years? Burrows slays dragons, and is the first to take on the Duncan Kieth's of the world despite being 185 lbs. He also clocked Tim Thomas regardless of how many goons were coming into the scrum. He is amongst the best teammates anybody else remember his ongoing tributes to Luc Bourdon? And has fun, remember him busting his stick, signifying breaking Detroits ridiculous home win streak? That makes him less politically correct, but a guy you love to have on your team. I want him as captain.

Last year, he was our difference maker and always makes the effort to step up. When we were in the post deadline doldrums; it was Burr who went down to the 3rd line and single handily rejuvenated their work ethic. Then moved up and got Booth and Kess going. And we know what he does for the Twins and our PK. Nobody, not even Hank, nor Bieksa, can say they lead by example and put it ALL on the line at any time like Burr!

Archived