The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 3.0

Bozak for Luongo? Wow...

1. Agree Bozak is a good 3rd liner. Fills the void for when Manny leaves, and Lappy can take 4th.

2. Giving up an All Star Goalie, with actually a reasonable cap hit contract relative to other top ten goalies although a long contract for a 3rd liner is ridiculous.

3. Bozak stock is rising because he played on a line with Lupul who was having a career year before he got hurt and Kessel. He was the beneficiary of some very talented wingers. That being said, can he play the role of a Morrison between a Bert and Naslund, sure...but still not enough.

4. Kadri is junk, he's a bust and going no where in the NHL - as I have said prior. 3 yr pro, offensive center, drafted 6th overall, and can't crack a lineup of one of the worst teams in the league in need of an offensive center? Says enough.

The Staal deal happened at the draft, which coincidentally is one of the two times I suggested Luongo could be dealt if not before the season. That was a completely different situation, and really bears no resemblance other than the fact they are both stars. RFA vs. long contract, Staal knew where he wanted to sign, and so on...

It's funny, that's what he said he would do from the beginning, because he's not worried about having two awesome goaltenders, especially possibly heading in to a compressed season. It's a good problem to have when you're playing 4 games a week. He has time on his side.

Even though it does appear, that Luongo made his own bed and management finds itself at a crossroads between making a choice between two goaltenders; one on a hefty, anchoring contract and getting up there in age, and the other, young, poised and on a seemingly perfect contract, no one from Canucks management has stated anything regarding a choice between Luongo and Schneider.

Not really completely different. Was Shero under any obligation to trade him to the Hurricanes? Nope. He was not obligated to trade him at all. What he did, though, was work in the background so that he could accommodate his player, and also not make it an ordeal. Luongo has already turned into an ordeal. This "nice problem to have" crap is so wrong. You say that he has time on his side - I'll ask again in what direction you think Luongo's value will go if he plays this entire season as our backup.

Well, he couldn't sign him, so he would have had to take a star player to arbitration, or face an offer sheet from Carolina, so yeah, his hand was forced.

In a condensed season, he wouldn't be our backup at all. He would likely be splitting games pretty even. I have no more evidence that he won't go down in value than you do that he will. But, I guarantee he will be playing more than a typical backup.

Luongo is on the trade block, so, through reasonable deduction, the job belongs to the other goalie, thus, Schneider. If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it might be safe to say its a freaking duck. I'll rephrase my statement to satisfy your annal view. Its APPEARANT, that management has chosen Schneider over Lou, because, they are obviously trying to trade Lou, with nary a rumour about a Schneider trade. Now, stick your pen where the sun don;t shine.

Waste of time. You don't get it. It is not about whether Luongo or Schneider being traded. It's about you spreading falsified facts; no one in management has stated specifically (go on record) that the Canucks have decided to go with Schneider over Luongo. You're not going to prove anything in this world by using the duck analogy. Science would be dead by now. FACTS smurf47. FACTS. Not common deduction, no analogy, no side steps. FACTS. You cannot prove it, you cannot discuss it.

But they have. Mike Gillis has spoken pretty openly about it on the radio. And a quick Google search found the below article, which offers a bit of confirmation.

Gillis did acknowledge that before the lockout he talked with several teams about trading the 33-year-old goaltender. Luongo lost his first-string status during the playoffs to Cory Schneider, who has since signed a three-year contract with the Canucks.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/10/19/roberto-luongo-to-leafs-deal-not-done-mike-gillis

Waste of time. You don't get it. It is not about whether Luongo or Schneider being traded. It's about you spreading falsified facts; no one in management has stated specifically (go on record) that the Canucks have decided to go with Schneider over Luongo. You're not going to prove anything in this world by using the duck analogy. Science would be dead by now. FACTS smurf47. FACTS. Not common deduction, no analogy, no side steps. FACTS. You cannot prove it, you cannot discuss it.

Archived