The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 3.0

I for one was a huge supporter of Hodgon's in juniors and in his time with the Canucks. I also though Kassian was a great player though too, with different talents.

I think the one thing that was tough was that when Hodgson finally started to pay some dividends we never got to see one final push, a.k.a. the playoffs, to see what he could do. Granted the timing seemed ill but in retrospect I believe Buffalo only had the deal on the table during the trade deadline in order to make their own push for the playoffs. Gillis saw what he wanted and took it. Also, you've outlined your arguments very well. We didn't really lose much in terms of production or results on the third line as result. A lot of people can't handle reality but in retrospect that did not make or break for us against the Kings IMO. We were siimply outclassed in that series. No matter what our forwards did shotty defensive play could not have been corrrected.

You'll have to ask Pahlsson why he did not to re-sign in Vancouver - he left the NHL to sign with Modo of the Swedish Elite League - in his hometown of Örnsköldsvik. You claimed that he was "a guy that had one foot into retirement since going to the BJs, and I would venture a guess that he wasn't too happy about being traded to the Canucks" - so you'll have to make up your mind whether you want to blame Gillis, or claim that Pahlsson had no interest in being here - as usual, you want to work it both ways.

I also thought and still think Hodgson was and is a great young player - star at the WJC - and he has some serious upside - but as a rookie at his stage of development, he was essentially a role player - and all the over-rating and accolades were premature. AV was actually nailing it in terms of optimizing how he was used. That is not simply a "pump and dump" thing - it is what good coaches do, in the interests of the team and that player. He was very good in the 13 minutes he was getting, in appropriate situations - but he wasn't ready to take on a larger role, he doesn't have the two-way game to stand on it's own, and all the Gallagherian whining (and Hodgson's agent's whisper campaign) about his underutilization was pretty annoying.

He was more than a role player, he had more goals than all but 2 players on the Vancouver Canucks when he was traded. Given his low allocation of minutes - and 3rd line linemates - he was being extraordinarily productive for us.

It's nice to be a two-way, all-around, versatile, Ryan Kesler type, but not everybody is that way. Danny & Hank won't be winning any Selke Trophy's anytime soon, and that's fine.

Yes, that move was a clear fail.

Sami Pahlsson was an absolute disaster. "A legitimate shut down guy" - sure, if you're talking about the year 2007. He was not shutting anybody down on Columbus. He's a guy that had one foot into retirement since going to the BJs, and I would venture a guess that he wasn't too happy about being traded to the Canucks. He really added no value to our team, the 3rd line was no longer a scoring threat whatsoever, and opponents no longer had to concern themselves with 3 lines - just the top two.

Trading Hodgson for Kassian was a reasonable gamble to take, but the timing made no sense at all. Hodgson is clearly the better player today, and (IMO) likely will be over the course of their careers. For a Cup contending team, why on earth would you trade your 3rd leading goal scorer for a guy who's not even close to being at that stage of development, heading into the playoffs? If Kassian was available at the deadline, there's no reason to think that he also wouldn't be available at the draft, so, yes, this was a timing error on Mike Gillis' part.

Because Kesler was not performing to his 2010-11 level, and he has shown an inability to stay healthy (or at least refrain from telling everybody how hurt he is).

And it looks like it's time for another reminder that "the rookie" was 3rd in team goals, whilst centering the 3rd line and being given very few minutes.

Yes, that move was a clear fail.

Sami Pahlsson was an absolute disaster. "A legitimate shut down guy" - sure, if you're talking about the year 2007. He was not shutting anybody down on Columbus. He's a guy that had one foot into retirement since going to the BJs, and I would venture a guess that he wasn't too happy about being traded to the Canucks. He really added no value to our team, the 3rd line was no longer a scoring threat whatsoever, and opponents no longer had to concern themselves with 3 lines - just the top two.

Just speculation on my part, obviously, but he did win a Cup already in Anaheim.

It's funny that you say "Cody wanted out", because that certainly wasn't what people were saying around here around the time that Gallagher suggested it. CDCers figured that was all hogwash, media fear-mongering, making a story out of nothing, etc.

Asd for your explanation above, that doesn't really reconcile to the rumblings at the time, which were that there were plenty of GMs around the NHL that had no idea that Hodgson was made available. Maybe Gillis could've gotten something better - something at least more immediate. You've gotta realize that we're a veteran team, in 1st place, coming off an SCF appearance, and maybe it's the last kick of the can. Now probably wouldn't be the time to roll the dice.

It's funny that you say "Cody wanted out", because that certainly wasn't what people were saying around here around the time that Gallagher suggested it. CDCers figured that was all hogwash, media fear-mongering, making a story out of nothing, etc.

Asd for your explanation above, that doesn't really reconcile to the rumblings at the time, which were that there were plenty of GMs around the NHL that had no idea that Hodgson was made available. Maybe Gillis could've gotten something better - something at least more immediate. You've gotta realize that we're a veteran team, in 1st place, coming off an SCF appearance, and maybe it's the last kick of the can. Now probably wouldn't be the time to roll the dice.

Archived