The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 3.0

12 games

10 games

12 games

25 games

2 games

I personally think his best season was 2006/7 (or 2003/4)

but an argument can be made for 2010/11

Regardless, there has certainly been nothing resembling a consistent or gradual decline in his game.

It's been reported that as of a few days ago, 5 teams were calling about Luongo. Wheter he has 9 yrs, or 8 1/2 yrs left on his contract doesn't change. His contract will not change unless there's something in the new CBA. Those 5 teams calling now are aware of his contract, how he played last season etc - but they're still interested.

That's an interesting perspective, but again you're assuming Luongo will be the back up.

It's recognized that limited teams have interest in a goalie change, hence 5 teams that are reportedly calling about him. I'd argue 5 teams is not small, it's roughly 20% of the market. So you're arguing 'perceptions' of eliteness will alter his trade value? Always possible, but not really plausible. He's been an NHL player for 10+ years, as a GM you're more likely to value the larger sample size with focus on the last 3 or so years. Also, counseling your fan base about a trade is a PR issue, they have PR depts for that. It doesn't alter actual value.

The 2 most notable scenarios where I see his trade value decreasing:

a) More quality goaltenders are made available after the lockout

b ) Those teams who are currently interested, decide to go with their current tandem cause they're playing better than expected.

Your point was that he isn't the goalie he used to be. Point failed.

"Lou has a had a great career..but hes not the goalie he was and i don;t believe he will fetch what a lot of fans believe hes worth"

That was the point of looking at his last two seasons Smurf.

38-15, 31-14, .928, .919... makes no difference.

Neither of them fall below his lifetime average.

No matter how you spin it 31-14 does not equal 9.

Suggesting that Luongo's best career season was two years ago really contradicts your point that he's not the goalie he used to be.

So, obviously, your point failed, and you are trying to wiggle your claim.

I dont' agree that he abandoned Melanson's modifications to his game - I think he just used that strategy in a more situational way - with guys parked in front of the net and opposition possession, he still seemed to stay deeper than he used to. On the rush however, he seemed to revert to challenging more, and I didn't really see a problem with that. I'm just not sure he had the chance to get on the roll he did the year before - he had the early season groin, puck to the head, upper body injury? and then the stiff neck in March, as well as Schneider consistently commanding more starts - in addition, the whole team, despite the Pres-trophy, had a kind of odd season. All in all however, there's hardly anything alarming about 31-14 and .919... Imo he remains the goalie he has been all along.

So when you were saying he isn't the goaltender he was, you meant he isn't the goalie he was last year?

I don't entirely agree with you. I still think Luongo played more deeply in his net last year than he had in the past, particularly when the opposition has possession in Vancouver's zone. I think Luongo reverted slightly - he didn't play as consistently deep as Melanson seemed to have him the year before, left his net and challenged slightly more (as he had in the past)) particularly on the rush, but I think he was looking for more of a balance/hybrid - and he also simply wasn't playing as much - as Schneider earned and got more starts than the year before, something that doesn't seem to suit Luongo's game. You can argue that Melanson improved his game, but he had a .931 sv % in a season in Florida, and in 2006/7 he may not have posted his best sv %, but was probably as dominant as ever, particularly when the playoffs rolled around.

There are things that frustrate me about his game - I agree that he over-reacts at times, gets himself out of position when he doesn't necessarily have to, and gives himself no real chance to recover on some plays (things I conversely love about Schneider's to this point - his technical efficiency and poise). But as sting pointed out, if you watch any goaltender over a long enough period of time, they all have vulnerabilities, tendencies, bad games, periods of inconsistency... Imo Luongo is better and more consistent than he gets credit for. I get somewhat annoyed by the tendency in Vancouver to never stop complaining, where nothing is ever good enough, where the irony of the sense of entitlement to a Cup is undermined by such fickle loyalty.

I.ve, personally been a fan of the Canucks since I was old enough to understand hockey. I,ve cheered for them through all the years of disappointment and remain a devoted fan to this day. My loyalty is anything but fickle.

Now, back to the issue at hand. Maybe fans are a bit critical of our team but, to me, this just emphasizes the love we have for our Canucks. One thing players have to know is that hockey in BC is almost a religion of it's own. We want so badly for them to win that sometimes their short comings over shadow their successes.

There is little question that we have the best team Vancouver management has been able to assemble and I feel that a couple of key additions will put us over the top. To me, our biggest needs are a winger to bring our second line into the elite category and provide consistent second line offense and a big, " stay at home," defenseman that provides stability in the defensive zone and can be counted on to police the front of the net, thus limiting second chances.

To make it perfectly clear, I do not place all the blame on goaltending. The team as whole needs to take responsibility for it's inability to rise to the occasion and achieve it,s ulimate goal; a Stanley Cup. That being said, however, we do have an abundance of assets in goal and could use one to acquire the needed pieces.

I believe both Schneids and Lou can get us there and it is irrelevant as to which one is kept. The key may lie in the length of the lock out. With NHL players sitting, waiting for a new CBA to be made, it is the AHLers that get a chance to shine. Eddie Lack is proving himself to be quite a good goaltender and is only getting better. This could be of significance because it may provide more options for Gillis to explore. If Lack puts together great games in Chicago, MG may become more accepting to offers for Schneider. This would be key as Schneider would bring better returns and open doors for more bidding wars. A play for a Bobby Ryan may become a possibility.

I believe Lou can get us there. It's whether or not the fans will accept him back in the number one role. I know the fans do not run the team, but in a way they kind of assist in decisions. No player wants to be booedon a nightly basis and be kept under a microscope on a nightly basis. The pressure becomes immense and sooner or later it becomes too much. I believe this is what has happened to Lou. I say we get behind this team no matter what the circumstances and give them our full support.

So this new NHL proposal looks pretty good for a Luongo trade, esp. the salary/trade stipulation. Wonder if Aquilini was working hard behind the scenes? lol.

If Van can absorb some salary, I can see more teams knocking on the door. Gillis also won't be pressured to make an immediate trade if the cap is still set at $70M.

The one concern is this: Article

There is transition language in the offer to penalize some of those "cheat deals" or "back-diving" deals, contracts like those of Marian Hossa or Roberto Luongo that end with bogus salaries.

Take this for what it is worth, I don't really care if you guys believe me or not:

So I go to the U of Windsor and am in my MBA, today we had a guest speaker on leadership skills...

Richard Peddie, former president and CEO of the MLSE, he is UofW alumni. His speech was pretty interesting, and he made some jokes at Brian Burke's expense. (I guess BB is going to be coming to campus in February, a speech I will not be missing.) One funny story was that when BB first came to Toronto Peddie had the luxury of giving BB his first performance review, Burke laughed in his face and said he hadn't had a performance review since he was in Law school, Peddie said to him that he probably should have. Now they are great friends, hang out a few times a month, and Peddie still has knowledge on the running and management of the leafs.

After his speech he was talking to students and I pretty much said, "great speech, and It is really nice to meet you, but I want to talk hockey." he laughed and essentially said Burke has 2 strong offers for Lu, one involving and one not involving "a very valuable" non-player asset.(My speculation is 1st rounder) He believes they will have Luongo on the team come season start, and had very high praise for Lu which was nice to hear. He was also very excited today as the NHL offer had just been made out to the public about an hour prior to his talk.

So take that for what its worth, I wouldn't lie, but he may have.

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie

The floor for this season would be $43.9M and cap would be $59.9M altho in Year 1 teams could still spend to $70.2M but only in Year 1. On trading of cap space/retaining salary, it would be limited to $3M for each contract year left or 50 per cent of AAV, whichever is less. Each club, in any given year, tho, would be subject to a 2 contract and/or $5M limit in terms of retaining salary.

Archived