The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 3.0

You sure about that? Where are the other buyers for Luongo? What's driving his price up so high?

I'm not sure that you're aware of how markets work.

EDIT: we're not going to "win" this Luongo deal, in the traditional sense. Gillis made a decision to run with Schneider, instead of Luongo, and now he's effectively backed himself into a corner, and is required to sell Luongo into a weak market. Luongo is still a very good goalie, and will surely be the starter of whatever team he goes to for the next many years. We're not going to get somebody who's going to have as much of an impact on us as Luongo will to whoever he goes to, which I think you have yet to come to grips with.

You sure about that? Where are the other buyers for Luongo? What's driving his price up so high?

EDIT: we're not going to "win" this Luongo deal, in the traditional sense. Gillis made a decision to run with Schneider, instead of Luongo, and now he's effectively backed himself into a corner, and is required to sell Luongo into a weak market. Luongo is still a very good goalie, and will surely be the starter of whatever team he goes to for the next many years. We're not going to get somebody who's going to have as much of an impact on us as Luongo will to whoever he goes to, which I think you have yet to come to grips with.

Seem's like a bit much to me, Frattin is really coveted by them, almost as much as Kadri, possibly more with the was they treat Nazem.

I think Kadri (Who can play wing), and Biggs. Before I wanted Bozak but now that this season will probably be wiped out he will be a UFA and he holds little value without a contract.

So how about Kadri and Biggs for Lu.

Kadri can play the wing on the 2nd line if he makes the team, or else if Kassian or someone else beats him for it, he and Schroeder can duke it out for 3C spot.

and you forgot slow...

He scores some points. Great. Still don't think he's a very good fit for Vancouver (and certainly don't see him edging Kesler off the 2nd line). Drafting Gaunce imo makes adding a prospect like Colborne relatively unnecessary.

I'd rather see the Canucks add an actual third line center (and not underestimate Schroeder relative to a guy like Kadri - imo Schroeder's a better two way player with more grit and speed). I'd also like to see them pick up a RW - Frattin - I like the way he plays - he's an alert-minded, physical, NHL ready RW with good scoring sense - and a prospect - preferably another big, young physical forward who would balance out the prospect pool.

Bozak, Frattin, Biggs.

(if Burke doesn't like that deal, he's welcome to substitute Grabovski for Bozak...)

Not a pointless argument. I'm trying to get people to see it from Toronto's side. You folks have these "wants" from trading Luongo, and IMO they're usually not that close to reality.

Say the tables are turned. Vancouver now needs a goalie. Toronto has a 33 year-old, with a 10-year contract, and a shaky playoff reputation, that they need to get rid of. He's still good, but it is no doubt a huge commitment to take on.

Gillis offers Jordan Schroeder and Zack Kassian for this goaltender. How do you feel about it?

Not a pointless argument. I'm trying to get people to see it from Toronto's side. You folks have these "wants" from trading Luongo, and IMO they're usually not that close to reality.

Say the tables are turned. Vancouver now needs a goalie. Toronto has a 33 year-old, with a 10-year contract, and a shaky playoff reputation, that they need to get rid of. He's still good, but it is no doubt a huge commitment to take on.

Gillis offers Jordan Schroeder and Zack Kassian for this goaltender. How do you feel about it?

I like Schroeder because his game is being developed to play a role in Vancouver - his speed and the work he has done on his defensive game (with his offensive upside) make him a nice fit, imo, to play with Higgins and Hansen - I think he also has more grit than a guy like Kadri - that line could be even more effective (ie frustrating to play against) and as dangerous as it was last year with a player like Schroeder between H+H.

I don't consider Kadri to be as good a fit for those reasons - which is not to say he's not as talented - he simply is not that kind of role player, and the idea of him stepping onto the second line does nothing but create serious problems where Kesler is concerned - he already endured a year of a rookie thinking he deserved his minutes - imo, despite some opinions that he is just an average 2C, there are very few 2Cs on the planet that can compete with Kesler.

Schroeder was to be compared to Ashton, Kassian to Colbourne. Comparisons drawn from draft year/position. Really impossible to say that one player is "better" than another, at this point, since none are established NHLers.

Exchange Jensen for Kassian, than, whatever. Doesn't matter. Would you trade Schroeder & Jensen for the 33 year-old expensive goaltender that the Leafs need to get rid of?

Let Kadri play wing in Frattin's place then - (for the Leafs, and send Frattin this way).

The Leafs aren't weak on their wings - they have (the vastly over-rated) Kessel, Lupul, Van Reimsdyk, Kulemin, MacArthur... They can probably justify moving a young RW like Frattin moreso than one of their young centers - and with Ashton at RW, they can move the younger Biggs.

Bozak is actually a viable third line center option (Kadri creates another one-way third line center situation) - Bozak's term makes him an easier loss to Laff's nation - it also takes less value out of their end of the deal.

That deal sends a RW, center and prospect - that's the least I want out of a deal if it is to be with Toronto (it's difficult enough to find suitable pieces when dealing with them - and if anything, I think it's a concession considering Bozak's status). Perhaps they should have to throw in Franson's negotiating rights as well, which are worth about a 6th round pick - a depth guy to compete with Alberts, Connauton and Sauve for the 8th spot....

That deal might actually be preferable to the Leafs (they retain their skilled center prospect) - and it sends a couple players here who can compete for roster spots in the present. I know people think the 2nd line needs a "playmaker", but I like the idea of a physical guy, who is good on the rush, with a quick release like Frattin playing on that line.

If you look at what the Leafs got for Kaberle - (Colborne, the B's 2011 first, and 2012 2nd) - they should jump at this deal and consider it a wash for Kaberle...

Completely agree! My only argument is that it would be dumb not to want Kadri just because he doesn't fit where you want him to at this exact moment. Also, these guys are professionals and most of them can shift between center and wing, wheather it be Kadri, Schroeder or Kesler. It never hurts to have too many centers. If you look at Philly when Richards and Carter were still there im pretty sure most of the guys in their top 6 could play center. They were moved to the wing, and played fine.

Archived