The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nurse who took prank call commits suicide

D-Money

Whether they broke data protection laws or not isn't relevant regarding whether they are directly responsible for the nurse's death. They didn't set out to cause harm and in my opinion are not.

If they broke the Data Protection Act (or whatever it is now) then that's a separate issue that will no doubt be dealt with.

Just saw both the DJ's on the news crying about this. Seems like they are genuinely upset about it. I don't think they should be held responsible as the woman who took her life was obviously in a fragile state. Maybe the prank put her over the edge but who's to say that it wouldn't have been something else a couple hours/days/weeks later(had this not happened)? I dunno, just a really sad situation for all those involved. :sadno:

That was actually a fairly tame prank call.

While I don't think the prank callers should be encouraged to do this, blaming them for the suicide is ridiculous. There are thousands of prank calls made around the world every year by radio stations, and many more privately, most of them more offensive than this one. This one just happens to be high profile with an apparent tragic result: I say apparent because we really have no idea why the nurse committed suicide. At the very most the prank call is just the final step that pushed a very troubled person over the edge.

Take the famous Sarah Palin prank call.

That is a hilarious piece of comedy, and the prankers were treated like heroes after it. If Palin or her Aid had happened to commit suicide after the call, should the prankers really have gone from being treated like heroes to murderers? :sadno:

Just saw both the DJ's on the news crying about this. Seems like they are genuinely upset about it. I don't think they should be held responsible as the woman who took her life was obviously in a fragile state. Maybe the prank put her over the edge but who's to say that it wouldn't have been something else a couple hours/days/weeks later(had this not happened)? I dunno, just a really sad situation for all those involved. :sadno:

Interesting. Hard to believe that someone would get 5 years for "airing a private conversation without permission", but I suppose one should never underestimate the power of a witch hunt...

All I can say is there's a whole slew of DJs out there that better start lawyering up.

Interesting. Hard to believe that someone would get 5 years for "airing a private conversation without permission", but I suppose one should never underestimate the power of a witch hunt...

All I can say is there's a whole slew of DJs out there that better start lawyering up.

Archived