The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Earphones (IEMs) and Headphones Fan Thread

Dazzle

So pretty much retail eh? i always thought that bose were overpriced but hey they sound amazing and if you got the extra cash then it's a great buy

Yeah basically. I don't know, with Bose they just have some kind of crazy technology. I've never worn a pair of headphones that could cancel out the plane better than these ones (and I have tested out quite a lot of sets < $350, so I mean I'll pay the cash if it keeps the annoying cries of year old children screaming during 6 hour flights.

Picked up Sennheiser HD430 and damn I love it!! For $49.99, I'm glad I picked it up!! So far, the bass isn't overpowering without any EQ on my iPod and the sound clarity is pretty good! Comfort-wise, it's REALLY comfortable even though it has an odd looking shape.

Overall, if you're going to find a cheap headphone for someone who just wants to casually listen to music on the go, these Sennheiser's at $49.99 on Boxing Day is worth the money!

Picked up Sennheiser HD430 and damn I love it!! For $49.99, I'm glad I picked it up!! So far, the bass isn't overpowering without any EQ on my iPod and the sound clarity is pretty good! Comfort-wise, it's REALLY comfortable even

though it has an odd looking shape.

Overall, if you're going to find a cheap headphone for someone who just wants to casually listen to music on the go, these Sennheiser's at $49.99 on Boxing Day is worth the money!

Thats exactly what you're gonna find in a pair of senns. Quality, performance, and an odd shape that somehow works !

got some Bose QC15's today and I must say, they're quite an incredible set of headphones.

Crisp clarity, the noise cancellation is crazy (actually worked well on the plane), and the highs and lows are very nice as well.

read that they are easily one of the top 3 headphones ever bang for buck. I wish I had me some of them.

got some Bose QC15's today and I must say, they're quite an incredible set of headphones.

Crisp clarity, the noise cancellation is crazy (actually worked well on the plane), and the highs and lows are very nice as well.

A friend's brother was a professional musician (studios in LA and a backup with Paul Horn when he toured) before hanging up his guitar to become a lawyer. Whenever i want a recommendation for anything to do with audio I usually check with him.

He traded in his Bose QC15s for the Paul Barton (who designs PSB speakers) PSB M4U 2 headphones. He does a lot of airplane travel and he says the noise cancellation feature (which can be switched off) blows the Bose headphones out of the water. And a bonus - Paul Barton is Canadian.

http://www.psbspeakers.com/products/headphones/M4U-2-Headphones

Sound and Vision named them Product of the Year for 2012.

The M4U 2’s earpads are some of the most luscious we’ve encountered. The earcups swivel slightly to assure a good fit. Two detachable cables are provided, one with an inline control/microphone. A semi-hardshell case is included, along with one extra set of earpads. The noise-canceling has three modes: passive, active (internal amps on/NC off), and NC on.

“You can tell someone put a lot of effort into these,” Lauren said when I asked her opinion of the M4U 2. Greg and I agreed wholeheartedly. It’s hard to describe the M4U 2’s sound because it’s so close to flawless and so free of an identifiable character. The bass sounds extremely smooth and tight, the mids are exceptionally clear, and the highs are rich and detailed. We were also shocked to hear how little difference there was in the sound when we switched among the passive, active, and NC modes.

I could cite countless examples of tunes on which the M4U 2 sounded great, but my favorite was perhaps Telarc’s Michael Murray/San Francisco Orchestra recording of Jongen’s Symphony Concertante. As the different string sections traded phrases, I heard each one clearly imaged in space — a tough trick with headphones. I also got a captivating sense of the concert hall’s ambience when Murray kicked in on the pipe organ. But it’s not just a classical ’phone: Greg found the sound no less awesome on the Foo Fighters’ “Hell.” The M4U 2 is competitive even with the best set of headphones I had on hand, HiFiMan’s $699 HE-500.

Not only does the M4U 2 sound like a really great speaker, it sounds like a great speaker in a great listening room. So who wouldn’t want it? Maybe trendy types who demand a logo that others will recognize.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article/review-psb-m4u-2

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article/2012-editors-choice-awards?page=0,1

Lots of awards and great reviews:

http://www.psbspeakers.com/products/headphones/M4U-2-Headphones#heading-reviews

Me, I am sticking with my Koss PortaPros as my ears were never on par with his. But if you really are an audiophile and can hear small differences these seem to be the ticket.

Shure makes a reliable headphone, but I suspect you can get a better deal by not going through L&M.

Both my Klipsch and Sennheisers arrived yesterday. The Senns sound amazing right out of the box, but the Klipsch, I can faintly hear distortion around the edges if I focus on it. Whether that's the drivers needing to loosen up or poor quality recording, I don't know. I have both on separate systems playing mid-volumes for around 20 hours and counting now. Hopefully by the end of the weekend I'll be able to do a good evaluation of it, but either way, they're pretty good. The 439s are blowing me away with their sound placement.

What?.... No mention of M E Electronics yet?

http://www.meelec.com/

The best earphones you will get under $200, and they cost $20-$40.

I purchased the sport ones to try them out, love them for the gym. Sound a million time better than my apple ones and got them off amazon for less than the website showed. If these ever break I will definitely buy a new pair of them, I found the wire to fit to the back of my ear great, keeps them in perfectly for long periods.

• 2 months later...

I picked up Sennheiser HD 439s at Future Shop during Boxing Day Sale for $50 before tax and after a few months of using it, I love it! Although the bass isn't where I want it to be, even with some bass distinction, the overall quality of the sound is amazing!! You could blast your music as loud as you want and nobody on the bus would be able to hear your music unless they're really close to you. It's very comfortable and I could wear it for hours without having any problems

Someone recommend me a good pair of earphones. Like earbuds, not the over the head headphones.

I'm looking to purchase a new set of buds but I'm not sure which kind.

How much are you putting your budget at?

Stay away from beats earbuds, they're very fragile and the bass is overpowered.

I use Bose Triport earbuds. Bass is powerful for earbuds and are quite enjoyable to ride with on the mountain! Clarity is incredible too.

What you're willing to spend will determine what earbuds are best for you.

Someone recommend me a good pair of earphones. Like earbuds, not the over the head headphones.

I'm looking to purchase a new set of buds but I'm not sure which kind.

Personal opinion, I love the Rocketfish earbuds you can find for $9.99 at Best Buy or Future Shop. I know it's not one of the best out there but in terms of listening to music casually, it's great! The bass isn't overpowering but it's good enough to suffice any bass lovers and the sound quality is crisp and clear.. Much better than Skullcandy... I can't believe I spent nearly $200-$300 alone just on the earbuds and headphones

My ATH-Pro500Mk2's showed up on the weekend and after about 12 hours of listening im still blown away. Bought on Ebay and only cost me total around 130$ shipped. I'm curious if anyone has tried the pro700mk2's and would have some insight as to whether they're worth the extra coin.

Earbuds I recently changed from a set of diddy beats to the Nixon Wire 10mm and am quite happy with those too.

• 2 weeks later...

I really need some high quality eaphones but i have no idea what to get since i'm a noob...

I'm looking to spend around like $50 ish or something like that. They'll just be for casual iPod/Music stuff, and then maybe using them for gaming late at night when everyone's asleep.

I got a $15 pair of SkullCandy earbuds recently, such a difference from no name crap that always broke. I like how you could feel the vibrations of the bass, but that it didn't overwhelm the treble. I might invest in a more expensive pair in the future, but for now these are perfect for a cheapo like me lol. I also like earbuds because they fit in my pocket, I would get headphones, but then I'd need a bag to carry them around. Maybe in the future I'll get a pair for home :)

Archived