The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo Amnesty buyout

jagori78

Also everyone raves about Luongos first season here and how we got us single handedly into the playoffs. His save percentage that season? .921

His save percentage last season? .919

Not much difference eh but I guess some of us Canuck fans got a little spoiled and decided to run the best goalie this team had out of town.

There's only one roadblock to your proposal, and his name is Brian Burke. I think we'd be lucky to get either Kadri or Biggs; Schroeder would probably need to be going the other way if we were to get Kadri, and I don't think there's any way that Burke trades Biggs.

Bozak makes the most sense from Toronto - he should be the obvious target.

If we put emotional opinions of Lui aside, do you think we will get that much in return? All along i have been expecting a lot less in return because of his age and salary obligations. I would be ecstatic if they could pull off a deal like that but as it sits right now i just don't see the Leafs offering very much. I can see a trade for a couple of second rounders or a first rounder that hasn't panned out like a Jordan Schroeder type pick.

From their perspective that would probably be Kadri, and I wouldn't say JS hasn't panned out too early to tell.

As for your concerns on if we could get a deal like that I think so, Luongo's full value will never be realized in the deal but our return won't be that bad, won't be full value or a homerun, but a deal like that is good for Toronto too, they don't give up any current assets (Something Burke really doesn't want to do)

They get rid of Kadri who IMO is one of there more expendable young assets for a goalie like Luongo, aswell he would occupy most of the value from our perspective, then we let them keep the 1st and ask a 2nd of them instead. They do give up a decent prosepct in Biggs but Biggs will never have the impact to there team Luongo will and you have to give up value to get value. He projects as a 2nd/3rd liner anyways so it's not a huge loss.

I could see them getting Kadri and a third or fourth line guy in a deal. I don't see them getting a top six player who will step in right away. Who knows about Kadri if he will ever pan out to be a good NHL player but i think that is the kind of first round pick we will get, one who hasn't been able to crack the NHL. I have read the hopes of a lot of CDCer's who think we will get a top ten pick and another good player etc. Maybe but i just can't see it. Not enough interest has been shown and very little talk or rumors from the day after the Canucks were eliminated. I think we will get a salary dump coming this way and not much else

Agree and disagree. Ryan was the best third line center in the league could shut down the leagues best lines and score goals at the same time. It didn't matter if he couldn't or wouldn't pass because he was playing with third line checking players.

He can be good on the second line when he packs the team on his back, but he can't do it for long if he playes by himself. Having him play as the second line center kills the "second line players he plays with". If he needs to be our second line center then our second line wingers should play on the third with a center that can pass.

It will come down to not having a choice. How long will Lui be a good team guy and be happy being the backup? Can't give him many starts as i'm sure Cory has a handshake agreement on him being the main guy now, don't want to piss him off. And as time goes on if Lui is the backup, his value will be dropping. Can't see them holding on to him being unhappy and costing so much money. A salary dump would come from some other team as a different deal, someone expensive who hasn't been performing... i don't know, very interested to see how this all pans out for all involved... Canucks, Roberto and the team who trades for him.

If you actually still don't understand why Luongo is going, I have to ask if you have been under a rock for the last 8 months.

And why Toronto? Cause the only other legitimate trade partner is Florida. And they won't meet our price (Bjugstad) Toronto needs a goalie, they need Lu, he is a fit, they have assets that are appealing, it's the best fit IMO.

If you actually still don't understand why Luongo is going, I have to ask if you have been under a rock for the last 8 months.

And why Toronto? Cause the only other legitimate trade partner is Florida. And they won't meet our price (Bjugstad) Toronto needs a goalie, they need Lu, he is a fit, they have assets that are appealing, it's the best fit IMO.

Did you notice any news regarding anything but the strike? Things will pick up very fast if there's a season this year, if not in the summer.

If there's a shortened season, with the lost money owners have gone through, the pressure to please the fans, the pressure to make the playoffs and it will be a tight race in a shortened season, different teams willbe knocking for both Luongo and Schneider. I say take the best deal offered for either goaltender.

For the Canucks, it's a win win situation and that's exactly the situation a team wants to be in.

Archived