The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

Straight Outta Compton - 6/10

Well made, well acted, I just generally don't have a taste for celebrity biopics, especially musicians. I'm interested in their early stories and how they got started, but then the inevitable success, money, all the drama that comes with it - it's repetitive. Tends to just make me want to stop and go listen to the albums. And this definitely has Dre and Cube's fingerprints all over it making sure they come out looking great. Really liked the acting from the guy playing E though, he and Giamatti had chemistry.

9 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Bridge of Spies: 7 out of 10?  

Neat from a historical perspective.  Well made movie too but didn't really grab my attention.  Probably something I'd recommend to my parents

The last movie I recommended to my parents was "The Bridge on the River Kwai". 10/10 for sure.  

oscars?

chris rock was hilarious. 10/10

inarritu winning over miller was also hilarious.

glad lubezki won, even if i think the revenant borders on being bad and mediocre

don't like leo all that much, least of all in that movie, but he gave a really good speech i thought. glad he won so we can get over the 'leo desserves to win!' every time he screeches through a script

really weak year for movies, imo, but that was probably the best Oscars i've watched in a fair while, despite all the pandering that was going on

9 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

oscars?

glad lubezki won, even if i think the revenant borders on being bad and mediocre

don't like leo all that much, least of all in that movie, but he gave a really good speech i thought. glad he won so we can get over the 'leo desserves to win!' every time he screeches through a script

really weak year for movies, imo, but that was probably the best Oscars i've watched in a fair while, despite all the pandering that was going on

Didn't watch. Was too busy not watching it.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

oscars?

I disagree with almost all your points but hey opinions are opinions. 

Mad Max should have got best pic and director but at least it cleaned up in technicals. It feels like everyone is silently acknowledging that as the best movie of the year, but of course endless chase scene action movies with gimp guitarists can't win the top award, and they made it pretty clear with Linklater they won't give a directing award for a long term career vision (ahem departed) so - all is well for Oscar.

Spotlight movie! Brie & Ennio yay! Anomalisa robbed! etc.

3 minutes ago, The Bookie said:

Mad Max should have got best pic and director but at least it cleaned up in technicals. It feels like everyone is silently acknowledging that as the best movie of the year, but of course endless chase scene action movies with gimp guitarists can't win the top award, and they made it pretty clear with Linklater they won't give a directing award for a long term career vision (ahem departed) so - all is well for Oscar.

Spotlight movie! Brie & Ennio yay! Anomalisa robbed! etc.

I'm fine with it not winning best picture, I guess, but the director thing was very odd to me - especially when Inarritu more or less says how he just let the long takes speak for themselves. What exactly was Inarritu's voice or message in The Revenant? did he even have one? Was his vision as a director to just let Lubezki shoot stuff nicely and let the natural lighting do the rest?

Mad Max was entirely Miller's vision and lovechild, much bigger scale. far more impressive movie, imo. Miller was robbed, even if the technical department was rewarded for executing his vision nicely

Ennio Morricone winning was great, I agree

That was the first time in years that I've watched the Oscars ...
I kind of thought Spotlight was two hours of being spoonfed a story while having to look at Ruffalo's irritating pain-face, but anything is better than Bridge of Spies.
Son of Saul looks interesting, will be watching that for sure.

Room looks terrible to me, how is it really?
And I want to bash Lady Gaga for her extremely cheesy overdone performance but, you know, that subject matter ...(and why is Grohl everywhere, stinking up everything?)

1 minute ago, Svengali said:

That was the first time in years that I've watched the Oscars ...
I kind of thought Spotlight was two hours of being spoonfed a story while having to look at Ruffalo's irritating pain-face, but anything is better than Bridge of Spies.
Son of Saul looks interesting, will be watching that for sure.

Room looks terrible to me, how is it really?
And I want to bash Lady Gaga for her extremely cheesy overdone performance but, you know, that subject matter ...(and why is Grohl everywhere, stinking up everything?)

I didn't like Room at all, didn't think the acting was all that noteworthy either

Gaga was on the red carpet saying some weird stuff about how the song is a reward for rape victims. I know what she meant, but it was kinda funny how she worded it. I actually got up and went to the other room to stress eat when she was performing. That was so over the top I felt uncomfortable and embarrassed for her

Ruffalo's "pain face" was kinda funny too. I don't get why Keaton wasn't nominated for best supporting in that movie

Son of Saul looks good, so does Embrace the Serpent

4 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

I didn't like Room at all, didn't think the acting was all that noteworthy either

Gaga was on the red carpet saying some weird stuff about how the song is a reward for rape victims. I know what she meant, but it was kinda funny how she worded it. I actually got up and went to the other room to stress eat when she was performing. That was so over the top I felt uncomfortable and embarrassed for her

Ruffalo's "pain face" was kinda funny too. I don't get why Keaton wasn't nominated for best supporting in that movie

Son of Saul looks good, so does Embrace the Serpent

Hmm, yeah it (Room) just doesn't look good at all.

Haha, stress eat. In my case I swore out loud at her.

Yup, Keaton was great. It was Ruffalo's constant "whaaaaaa?", "huuuuuh?" that drove me crazy.
(also that whole: oh no the record office is closing! oh no I need a second judge's permission! oh no the photocopier office is closed! ... piss off and just tell the story)

Also there was something sadly hilarious about Louis CK's funny intro being followed by the winner saying "the Prime Minister of Pakistan is changing the laws on honour killings because of this movie" to bring him back down to lame unimportant joke boy again, haha.

5 minutes ago, Svengali said:

Hmm, yeah it (Room) just doesn't look good at all.

Haha, stress eat. In my case I swore out loud at her.

Yup, Keaton was great. It was Ruffalo's constant "whaaaaaa?", "huuuuuh?" that drove me crazy.
(also that whole: oh no the record office is closing! oh no I need a second judge's permission! oh no the photocopier office is closed! ... piss off and just tell the story)

Also there was something sadly hilarious about Louis CK's funny intro being followed by the winner saying "the Prime Minister of Pakistan is changing the laws on honour killings because of this movie" to bring him back down to lame unimportant joke boy again, haha.

I actually couldn't really tell what was up with Ruffalo in that movie, it almost seemed like he was autistic or something. The haircut didn't help. He looked like Lloyd from Dumb and Dumber

and oh yeah, that Louis CK part was hilarious and brutal. I wonder how he felt after that? lmao. drive home in her honda civic with her second Oscar, this one that changed laws in her country, while Louis CK goes home to figure out how to make another ejaculation joke

9 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

I actually couldn't really tell what was up with Ruffalo in that movie, it almost seemed like he was autistic or something. The haircut didn't help. He looked like Lloyd from Dumb and Dumber

and oh yeah, that Louis CK part was hilarious and brutal. I wonder how he felt after that? lmao. drive home in her honda civic with her second Oscar, this one that changed laws in her country, while Louis CK goes home to figure out how to make another ejaculation joke

The Lloyd Christmas cut definitely upped the short-bus factor. Stanley Tucci seemed like the God of Acting in their scenes together.
That older guy from Madmen that was in it finally piqued my interest in checking out that show. (one of these days soon)

Poor Louis in his stanky NY apartment eating tubs of ice cream and pulling more hair out.

And I have to admit that I wanted Tom Hardy to win for his Looney Tunes cartoon character in the Revenant. It would have been hillarious.

2 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

oscars?

I watched the pre-show red carpet. Kind of funny how much time they spent on damage control regarding the race thing. Missed everything in the show after Sasha Baron Cohen did his Ali G bit because the PVR cut out part way through (because it was supposed to be a 3 hour event? Doesn't make sense.)

Have to say that it's one of the best Oscar's I've seen, movies aside. Chris Rock nailed it, as did most of the presenters.

Having watched both Mad Max and The Revenant, I totally agree with you about Miller. It's the kind of win you see coming from far away though I don't really see how it was earned this time.

I don't think Leo should have won either, but like I said when I reviewed that movie, it's entirely a role crafted to win awards. Just one guy mean mugging the screen for a couple of hours, literally speaking through gritted teeth. I don't think it was bad, not do I think he himself is bad, but his name continues to fail to sell me on any movie, because neither his movies nor his performances ever totally work for me.

Happy the movie ultimately failed to win best picture, even if I can't compare it to Spotlight, having not seen it.

• Upvote 1

i just read some of my fellow posters comments on gaga and i want to thank you for helping me to realize that it wasn't just me that wanted to puke ..  

watching the actors reaction to it ..  or should i say the OVER actors reaction to the over  the top , out of tune and embarrassingly average song from its average maker  , made me happy that I had  the option of being a normal , not in that business human being 

they all really needed us to feel how much they felt  ..   its a cringe worthy world of fakery but i guess thats why they are actors