The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

2 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Watched the first episode of Mr. Robot, and holy hell, is it all this terrible?

..."Evil Corp."? Really? ...With the Enron E? Really?

You know something's up when the best actor is Christian Slater.

I actually really like it, keep on watching..it gets better

3 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Watched the first episode of Mr. Robot, and holy hell, is it all this terrible?

..."Evil Corp."? Really? ...With the Enron E? Really?

You know something's up when the best actor is Christian Slater.

It really is Dexter, but with hackers. 

Watched the whole first season. I didn't hate it, but I binged watched it over a weekend, so that's the only reason why I continued. But I won't watch any more seasons.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon Sword of Destiny. 

Donnie Yen, and Michelle Yeoh both look incredible for their ages. More action, lots of wire work. It was above average. Doesn't have the poetry, and the imagery of the original. It has more action, more generic humour. It was also good to see Jason Scott Lee in a production again. It does however seem recycled. Different characters playing similar roles. 

7/10. Mostly the script, the actors were trying. 

The Big Short - 9/10

I got a question. What did Steve Carrell's character forced to sell at the end of the movie? I thought he shorted everything and thus would've made billions like other guys did.

It was a noisy movie... all the background noise when they were talking and explaining stuff.... 

22 minutes ago, Hugor Hill said:

The Big Short - 9/10

I got a question. What did Steve Carrell's character forced to sell at the end of the movie? I thought he shorted everything and thus would've made billions like other guys did.

It was a noisy movie... all the background noise when they were talking and explaining stuff.... 

It wasn't a standard stock short. It was a special financial instrument similar to the one originally designed by Christian Bale's character. He had to sell it before the banks who originally sold it to him went bankrupt.

At least, that was my understanding.

29 minutes ago, Hugor Hill said:

The Big Short - 9/10

D-Money is correct. Carrell's character set up his fund under the Morgan Stanley umbrella. At the height of the crisis after the Lehman Bros bankruptcy. There was a ton of uncertainty about which other Investment Bank would fall next (Bear Sterns had already collapsed 5 months earlier) Morgan was a good candidate. It was prudent to close their trades and cash out.

21 minutes ago, D-Money said:

It wasn't a standard stock short. It was a special financial instrument similar to the one originally designed by Christian Bale's character. He had to sell it before the banks who originally sold it to him went bankrupt.

At least, that was my understanding.

4 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

D-Money is correct. Carrell's character set up his fund under the Morgan Stanley umbrella. At the height of the crisis after the Lehman Bros bankruptcy. There was a ton of uncertainty about which other Investment Bank would fall next (Bear Sterns had already collapsed 5 months earlier) Morgan was a good candidate. It was prudent to close their trades and cash out.

So the credit default swap (or whatever it was) had to be sold before Morgan Stanley went bankrupt and thus wouldn't be able to honour it?

But Christian Bale's character cashed in and made lots of money for his firm though. 

That's where I'm slightly confused... perhaps I should read the book.

6 minutes ago, Hugor Hill said:

So the credit default swap (or whatever it was) had to be sold before Morgan Stanley went bankrupt and thus wouldn't be able to honour it?

But Christian Bale's character cashed in and made lots of money for his firm though. 

That's where I'm slightly confused... perhaps I should read the book.

Yes, if Morgan went tits up they'd have to sue to get paid. It would be a huge mess. Always best to avoid litigation and take your Billion in profits. :)

Bale's character (Michael Burry) actually cashed out in April 2008 and missed the outright carnage of September 2008 (Lehman bk, AIG bailout, TARP bailout). I guess he was happy making himself a reported 100 million and 700 million for his investors. He may have left some on the table but it was a ballsy bet and he got paid quite well.

• Upvote 1

vinyl, episode 2: 7/10. a bit better than the first, but still not great

vinyl, episode 3: 9/10. best episode by far. some things that annoyed me about the first episode are still present:  too many famous faces, a few cheesy slow motion shots, unbelievability in some aspects. but it's really gotten better in other departments: the show feels a bit less like an 18+ Mad Men now, fewer songs (but still has fantastic music moments), and the story is getting quickly engaging

i get why the critical reception has been polarizing, but i'm definitely hooked now

Edited by GLASSJAW

Logan's Run - good lord, the costumes and sets are so bad haha. Farrah Fosset is also painfully bad. But it's still kind of neat. I liked the crazy old school sci fi tech and the bleep blorp flashing lights and the glom glom of the interrogation terror machine. 6/10. That's 1 higher than the extremely overrated Foxcatcher.

6 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon Sword of Destiny. 

Donnie Yen, and Michelle Yeoh both look incredible for their ages. More action, lots of wire work. It was above average. Doesn't have the poetry, and the imagery of the original. It has more action, more generic humour. It was also good to see Jason Scott Lee in a production again. It does however seem recycled. Different characters playing similar roles. 

7/10. Mostly the script, the actors were trying. 

You've given me a craving for a martial arts movie. I need to rewatch Hero staring Jet Li since it's been so long. I remember being really surprised and impressed by it visually which is the exact opposite reaction I had to the incredibly bland Foxcatcher.

9 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Yes, if Morgan went tits up they'd have to sue to get paid. It would be a huge mess. Always best to avoid litigation and take your Billion in profits. :)

Bale's character (Michael Burry) actually cashed out in April 2008 and missed the outright carnage of September 2008 (Lehman bk, AIG bailout, TARP bailout). I guess he was happy making himself a reported 100 million and 700 million for his investors. He may have left some on the table but it was a ballsy bet and he got paid quite well.

Got it! Thanks.

So I just checked out the Oscar winners, and I cannot believe Sam Smith won for his theme song to Spectre. I almost turned Spectre off before the movie even started thanks to his whiny tripe.

That said, if I followed my instinct, he would have been doing me a favor, as that movie was a complete waste of time.

Coherence: 9.25/10

Watched it again, still one of my favourite suspense movies of all time.

The Night Manager (TV Show):

Hasn't aired in North America yet, but its produced by both AMC an BBC 1, and the BBC has already started airing this John Le Carre-inspired show. Watched the first episode last night and it is phenomenal. In British tradition, it is a six part mini-series, so don't get too attached.

5 hours ago, Svengali said:

Logan's Run - good lord, the costumes and sets are so bad haha. Farrah Fosset is also painfully bad. But it's still kind of neat. I liked the crazy old school sci fi tech and the bleep blorp flashing lights and the glom glom of the interrogation terror machine. 6/10. That's 1 higher than the extremely overrated Foxcatcher.

Cannot state this enough, LOVE Logan's Run. Insane? Yup. But such a great sci fi. There were rumors a few years ago that Ryan Gosling was going to star in a remake, with Nicolas Winding Refn attached to direct. Ultimately it fell through, which is understandable.

3 minutes ago, Monty said:

Cannot state this enough, LOVE Logan's Run. Insane? Yup. But such a great sci fi. There were rumors a few years ago that Ryan Gosling was going to star in a remake, with Nicolas Winding Refn attached to direct. Ultimately it fell through, which is understandable.

As much as remakes annoy me this is one that deserves to be done. I just hope they don't mess with the story (i.e. Total Recall).

I really need to watch it again.

11 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Coherence: 9.25/10

Watched it again, still one of my favourite suspense movies of all time.

Yeah that was good... the camera quality was no good but it was a good movie.

I picked it up based on your reco BTW. Thanks.

Edited by Hugor Hill

18 hours ago, Monty said:

That could have been great with Refn. And no it's not insane, I rated it 5 points higher than I gave Gravity ... Ignoring the terrible sets and Farrah Fosset it had neat ideas and I did enjoy it. And I was in fact playing an updated remake in my mind the entire time watching it. Made me use twice the imagination which is a good thing.

Season 4 House of Cards: 4/10

Feel like the show was too heavily influenced by Breaking Bad et al.'s emphasis on the anti-hero or the protagonist that slowly transforms into the antagonist. In House of Cards, you ultimately don't like anyone, don't root for anyone, and thus consequences to the characters carry no emotional impact.

Robin Wright seemed responsible for directing a large number of the episodes. I feel like her directing episodes is analogous to her character demanding things that she has not experience in and has yet to earn. 

Edited by Down by the River