The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

4 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

I haven't watched animal kingdom since it was released but at the time I loved it.  Michod is a good Director.  Just don't expect anything uplifting lol.  The King on Netflix features a lot of actors that were in AK as well.  

Oh no, did he do The King? That movie was straight up garbage :lol: 

1 minute ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Wah oh.  Yeah he did.  

And I enjoyed the King haha

It felt like it should have been a miniseries. There was 3 different storylines being told about him, which historically, took place over 8 years, but the film made it seem like it was over 6 months (give or take). 

Too much to tell. Definitely not the same movie, or quality, but that was my one complaint about Interstellar. That should have been an 8-10 part miniseries on HBO.

6 minutes ago, Monty said:

It felt like it should have been a miniseries. There was 3 different storylines being told about him, which historically, took place over 8 years, but the film made it seem like it was over 6 months (give or take). 

Too much to tell. Definitely not the same movie, or quality, but that was my one complaint about Interstellar. That should have been an 8-10 part miniseries on HBO.

I felt like it could have been a lot longer as well. I was just really impressed with that chalamet kid (first time seeing him-hes going to be awesome in Dune) and when it comes to graphic/shocking violence in films I think Michod is one of the best at knowing when/how to use it.  

13 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

I felt like it could have been a lot longer as well. I was just really impressed with that chalamet kid (first time seeing him-hes going to be awesome in Dune) and when it comes to graphic/shocking violence in films I think Michod is one of the best at knowing when/how to use it.  

I was a little harsh in saying it was “garbage”. It wasn’t. Just messy and frustrating, because it felt very rushed. Which is why I think it shouldn’t have been a movie.

And agree on Chalamet. Heard of him, never watched his films. Thought he did well. 

Dune B)

• Cheers 1

2010-19 Various Movie List:

This does not include Parasite or Uncut Gems, yet, as I haven’t seen them.

Top 3:

The Social Network

Mad Max Fury Road

Good Time

Best of the Rest:

Take Shelter

Django Unchained

Martha Marcy May Marlene

The Master

Nightcrawler

Ex Machina

Whiplash

The Guest

Hunt for the Wilderpeople

Dunkirk

Baby Driver

Snowpiercer

Mandy

The Lighthouse

Temple Grandin

Annihilation

Her

The Witch

Haven’t Seen/Need To:

Parasite

Uncut Gems

Pain and Glory

Animal Kingdom

Overrated Movies (In Order):

Boyhood

La La Land

Joker

The Wolf of Wall Street

Biggest Surprise:

BlacKkKlansman

Guilty Pleasure:

The Man from U.N.C.L.E.

Want to Rewatch:

Molly’s Game

• Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

You need to swap Django and Boyhood.

Also, Mad Max = overrated on a rewatch. Loved it the first time I saw it. 

Boyhood. You know what else you can watch and see time pass and the characters age and grow? Any sitcom :lol: 

As for Mad Max. First, I wanted the top 3 to be different from each and good rewatches. Second, with a media room and a 110” screen/projector theatre room, with 7.1 surround sound, Mad Max not only holds up, but to me, is easily the best popcorn movie since The Dark Knight.

That’s also why Baby Driver is in there. Hearing it on my system, it takes on a whole other level of appreciation.

Boyhood is awful.

after giving it a bit of consideration, my 10 favs of the decade, in no order:

- the witch

- blade runner 2049

- midnight in paris

- the lobster

- end of the tour

- inside Llewyn davis

- birdman

- the tree of life

- paterson

- mad max

movies like Paterson and Paris i recognize aren't technically the best or even most interesting, but something about them has allowed me to rewatch them multiple times and enjoy them more each time

seen Mad Max a few times now and enjoyed it more each time -- not a fan of pure action movies, so that must mean something for my appreciation of this

really, really enjoyed:

- eighth grade

- the lighthouse

- boyhood

- pain and glory

- 12 years a slave

- once upon a time in hollywood

- arrival

- it follows

- moneyball

Edited by GLASSJAW

31 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

really, really enjoyed:

- eighth grade

- the lighthouse

- boyhood

- pain and glory

- 12 years a slave

- once upon a time in hollywood

- arrival

- it follows

- moneyball

Forgot about It Follows. Think I’d put that and Moneyball in my list as well. Have rewatched the sh*t out of that movie.

Don’t know why, but didn’t really like Eighth Grade. Maybe I’m too old.

16 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

^ Forgot about End of the Tour. I'd definitely put it in a Top 10 list. 

The End of the Tour is a great movie. However, I couldn’t justify putting two Jessie Eisenberg films in my best of list.

Gemini Man

Wow. This was pretty bad. The first 40 minutes wasn’t too bad. The first big action sequence (around the 30 minutes mark) was entertaining. And then it takes a hard fall off a cliff, into a vat of acid. 

The dialogue is incredibly childish (see: simple) and the acting is very wooden. Also, what better way to sell a movie than to take Will Smith, one of the most charismatic movie stars ever, and make him boring and still.

E404E419-BFC3-4933-A52F-9C1437E75598.png

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Monty said:

Gemini Man

Wow. This was pretty bad. The first 40 minutes wasn’t too bad. The first big action sequence (around the 30 minutes mark) was entertaining. And then it takes a hard fall off a cliff, into a vat of acid. 

The dialogue is incredibly childish (see: simple) and the acting is very wooden. Also, what better way to sell a movie than to take Will Smith, one of the most charismatic movie stars ever, and make him boring and still.

E404E419-BFC3-4933-A52F-9C1437E75598.png

Dissapointing considering it's Ang Lee directed.  Did you notice the high frame rate in the action sequences?

On 12/31/2019 at 10:07 AM, Down by the River said:

Alright, this top 10 list is in no particular order, nor did I give it too much thought:

Boyhood

The Social Network

Animal Kingdom

Ex Machina

Drive

Hunt for Wilderpeople

Sicario

Mud

The Lobster

Birdman

Dang we got some similar taste!

Did you see end of watch by chance?  It was another favorite of the last decade

1 hour ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Dissapointing considering it's Ang Lee directed.  Did you notice the high frame rate in the action sequences?

Definitely noticed it, but it wasn’t as jarring as the rest of the movie. Long story short, it still would have been a disaster without the high frame rate. That was the least of this films problems.