The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

5 minutes ago, Monty said:

Definitely noticed it, but it wasn’t as jarring as the rest of the movie. Long story short, it still would have been a disaster without the high frame rate. That was the least of this films problems.

I was hyped for it before release, then the reviews started coming in...

Going through Will Smith’s filmography. Jeez. Dude hasn’t made a good movie in a long, long time. Not talking about Aladdin, which was a worldwide hit. Talking about a movie that majority of people say is a really good, universally liked film. I Am Legend is alright, but the ending released in theatres killed it (alternate ending is far better). But that was 12 years ago. Ali is essentially his last loved movie, and that was released in 2001.

He passed on Django Unchained and The Matrix. Instead of doing The Matrix, he did Wild Wild West :lol: 

Uncut Gems: Throughout the movie I thought "boy, this has the exact same energy as "Good Time" with Robert Pattison". Turns out it was directed by the same brothers. It was just non-stop anxiety/chaos/energy. A top movie of the year for sure.

Knives Out: Maybe more enjoyable to watch than Uncut Gems, but certainly not better. Don't really remember much from the movie, but liked the twist on the "whodunnit" genre. 

Ford v. Ferrari: Dragged on. Couldn't wait for it to end. Didn't find it compelling at all. Corny "The suits vs. the American dream" cliche

15 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Uncut Gems: Throughout the movie I thought "boy, this has the exact same energy as "Good Time" with Robert Pattison". Turns out it was directed by the same brothers. It was just non-stop anxiety/chaos/energy. A top movie of the year for sure.

It’s coming to Netflix at the end of this month. I’m going to have to wait until then.

16 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Knives Out: Maybe more enjoyable to watch than Uncut Gems, but certainly not better. Don't really remember much from the movie, but liked the twist on the "whodunnit" genre. 

I’m happy for Rian Johnson that he was able to come back from The Last Jedi nightmare and make a good, original film. But I wouldn’t watch it again, either. That’s the trouble with “Mystery” movies.

17 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Ford v. Ferrari: Dragged on. Couldn't wait for it to end. Didn't find it compelling at all. Corny "The suits vs. the American dream" cliche

Thanks for the heads up. Was going to watch it soon. This is all I need to pass on it.

marriage story: 5/10. didn't like this. two good looking, successful, wealthy people mildly battle out a divorce. oh no, which one will have to fly between new york and los angeles?

reminded me of a woody allen movie without much of the wit, which is how i'd define noah baumbach's entire career

golden globes: was able to catch a chunk of this at work - ricky gervais was hysterical, but the awards were, of course, garbage. salma hayek also gets points for showing off the real globes

Edited by GLASSJAW

14 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

marriage story: 5/10. didn't like this. two good looking, successful, wealthy people mildly battle out a divorce. oh no, which one will have to fly between new york and los angeles?

reminded me of a woody allen movie without much of the wit, which is how i'd define noah baumbach's entire career

Yeah, my wife and I got about a 1/3 into it, and shut it off. She liked the look of the preview, but I questioned it b/c of Baumbach.

Haven't really enjoyed a single thing he's done (other than co-writing Fantastic Mr. Fox).

6 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Yeah, my wife and I got about a 1/3 into it, and shut it off. She liked the look of the preview, but I questioned it b/c of Baumbach.

Haven't really enjoyed a single thing he's done (other than co-writing Fantastic Mr. Fox).

I still haven’t been able to get through Marriage Story. Currently 40 minutes in through 2 sittings. 

As for his previous films/writings, Life Aquatic might be the only thing I liked. But I credit, as will everyone, Wes Anderson for that. That movie doesn’t get written or made without him.

The last film of Baumbach’ I was able to get through in one sitting was Frances Ha, and I hated that movie. I get why people like it (ie: film students and hipsters), but it was so infuriating. Now, if the goal was to write a character who was so unlikeable you wanted to turn off your tv, then both he and Greta Gerwig (overrated as well) did a bang up job. Otherwise, boof.

9 minutes ago, Monty said:

The last film of Baumbach’ I was able to get through in one sitting was Frances Ha, and I hated that movie.

I think for me it was Margot at The Wedding - also hated. I remember all of the buzz when The Squid and The Whale came out. Don't remember much about the movie, other than it was a total downer.

I didn't even care for Life Aquatic much. Loved Fantastic Mr. Fox though...but that was probably more to do with Anderson as well.

6 minutes ago, D-Money said:

I think for me it was Margot at The Wedding - also hated. I remember all of the buzz when The Squid and The Whale came out. Don't remember much about the movie, other than it was a total downer.

I didn't even care for Life Aquatic much. Loved Fantastic Mr. Fox though...but that was probably more to do with Anderson as well.

I’m not an expert in Baumbach’s filmography, but I’m pretty sure unlikeable (not even damaged) characters are his wheelhouse. That’s all fine and good for some people for sure, but it doesn’t do anything for me.

That said, my brother is going through a divorce right now (has been for two years), and he loved Marriage Story. Now, I’m just guessing here, but perhaps it wasn’t made for a prairie boy who finds city life an absolute headache to begin with. Give me my deck, my yard, and my peace and quiet over that nonsense everyday of the week.

12 minutes ago, D-Money said:

haven't seen it for years, but i thought the squid and the whale was great back in the day - could be a nice document of its time, where indie navel gazing was getting more attention. with that said, not sure how i'd feel about it now. maybe worth a re-watch

I still can't believe you guys didn't have The Grand Budapest Hotel, the greatest movie of the decade, on those lists of yours. You're like the biggest pinko commie fascists ever.

Also the greatest movie of 2019 (imo) is Portrait of a Lady on Fire, just incredible directing and cinnabuntography (the framing, the lighting, all of it). It's plot is far from original but it doesn't matter, it's the many many great images that are the thing. So yeah, if you really appreciate great cinnamontopography and you love drawing/sketching/painting and Ovid and Vivaldi and attractive French lesbians and you're also definitely not a prairie boy who somehow as a grown man still actually believes that the Young Adult Film director Rian Johnson makes good flicks, well then, grab your beret and baguettes because you're in for a cinematic wanking tour de force.

(I had to watch it on kodi, not sure if it's even coming to theaters here at all)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Svengali said:

I still can't believe you guys didn't have The Grand Budapest Hotel, the greatest movie of the decade, on those lists of yours. You're like the biggest pinko commie fascists ever.

Also the greatest movie of 2019 (imo) is Portrait of a Lady on Fire, just incredible directing and cinnabuntography (the framing, the lighting, all of it). It's plot is far from original but it doesn't matter, it's the many many great images that are the thing. So yeah, if you really appreciate great cinnamontopography and you love drawing/sketching/painting and Ovid and Vivaldi and attractive French lesbians and you're also definitely not a prairie boy who somehow as a grown man still actually believes that the Young Adult Film director Rian Johnson makes good flicks, well then, grab your beret and baguettes because you're in for a cinematic wanking tour de force.

(I had to watch it on kodi, not sure if it's even coming to theaters here at all)

I’d rather just read more of your posts.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/28/2019 at 4:47 PM, Tortorella's Rant said:

The Irishman

x/10

My god, is it a long movie. "I've got 3 1/2 hours to watch this. No problem." After grabbing food and rewinding a few times - 4 hours and I've still got an hour left. 

Yeah I've got a LONG (and growing) list of 2, 2.5, 3+ hour films (some of which are in the top 10 lists you guys are posting) that I in no way, shape or form ever seem to have time to watch. 1.5 +/- hours is a stretch most days. It's kind of annoying :mad:

20 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

under the skin: 1000/10

great music, great visuals, obtuse, unbelievably wanky. just my thing. gotta give immense praise to any movie that is equally discomforting as it is gripping

Can't believe you JUST watched that now given how it's right up your alley! :shock: LOVED that movie (and not just because Scarjo is half naked through a lot of it :wub:). The atmosphere/soundtrack are wonderfully discomforting and the tension hardly seems to break. Great flick! Though I can't say it's one I'd likely return to often...maybe just to see someone else react to seeing it the first time :lol:

Best tv show joke, poking fun at a movie franchise? The Good Place:

*billboard advertisement in Bad Janet’s void*

”Pirates of the Caribbean 12: Jack Sparrow fights Aquaman, probably”

:lol:

Just love that there are two jokes in there, and the second one is that even the studio and marketing team hasn’t seen it. They’re just guessing what it’s probably about.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Monty said:

Best tv show joke, poking fun at a movie franchise? The Good Place:

*billboard advertisement in Bad Janet’s void*

”Pirates of the Caribbean 12: Jack Sparrow fights Aquaman, probably”

:lol:

Just love that there are two jokes in there, and the second one is that even the studio and marketing team hasn’t seen it. They’re just guessing what it’s probably about.

I recently had a similar experience but in my case it was a movie inadvertently poking fun at a popular tv show.

I was watching Tropic Thunder on Netflix, had just finished watching Ben Stiller’s Simple Jack scene when I decided to switch to cable to watch TSN and I happened to land smack dab in a middle of a trailer spot for The Good Doctor.

It was a special moment I will forever cherish. 

• Haha 1