The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 4.0

Lou wasn't to blame for the Eberle goal, that was a sick snipe from a player with oodles of talent, who likely got a bit lucky but great players do.

Second goal, yes he should have stopped but it happens, he let in 2. We should have won letting in 2 goals and the amount of pp's we had.

What concerns me is the following, and yes its only game 2 (which even I've said) but what I'm worried about is:

1. Lou was really dejected after that loss. I think the longer he's here the worse its going to get for him, he's beating himself up now because everyone one else has...Kind of the way an abused kid starts thinking he's worthless because his dad beats him up...Its going to get worse mentally for him the longer he's here. Moreover, the mental aspects have never been his strongpoint.

2. This lack of emotion. Granted we're missing Kesler and Booth, who tend to bring alot of emotion/energy but the team just seems to acting like its preseason. (other than a few). Kind of like the 'we'll turn it on' come playoff time attitude last year, seems to have carried over...

3. I actually think the nucks have to think bigger than moving just Lou. I think they need an injection of enthusiasm, attitude, feistyness that they had many years ago and seemed to have lost, they have lost their 'swagger' and don't seem to really want it back...I have watched how pittsburgh, philly, boston have started and the seem hungry, we're nonchalant. Again, I know its game 2 but what worries me is this how we played going into the playoffs last year and its carried over.

4. Don't flame me, but I think perhaps Bieksa, Lou and perhaps Hansen need to be moved in a blockbuster for those things mentioned above. Not sure what they end up being, who they are but a change is needed to wake this team up and bring some emotion / hunger back into their game (a la kassian). This often happens to teams that have regular season success but never quite do it in the playoffs, they become content..and I'm worried we're seeing that..

Lou wasn't to blame for the Eberle goal, that was a sick snipe from a player with oodles of talent, who likely got a bit lucky but great players do.

Second goal, yes he should have stopped but it happens, he let in 2. We should have won letting in 2 goals and the amount of pp's we had.

What concerns me is the following, and yes its only game 2 (which even I've said) but what I'm worried about is:

1. Lou was really dejected after that loss. I think the longer he's here the worse its going to get for him, he's beating himself up now because everyone one else has...Kind of the way an abused kid starts thinking he's worthless because his dad beats him up...Its going to get worse mentally for him the longer he's here. Moreover, the mental aspects have never been his strongpoint.

2. This lack of emotion. Granted we're missing Kesler and Booth, who tend to bring alot of emotion/energy but the team just seems to acting like its preseason. (other than a few). Kind of like the 'we'll turn it on' come playoff time attitude last year, seems to have carried over...

3. I actually think the nucks have to think bigger than moving just Lou. I think they need an injection of enthusiasm, attitude, feistyness that they had many years ago and seemed to have lost, they have lost their 'swagger' and don't seem to really want it back...I have watched how pittsburgh, philly, boston have started and the seem hungry, we're nonchalant. Again, I know its game 2 but what worries me is this how we played going into the playoffs last year and its carried over.

4. Don't flame me, but I think perhaps Bieksa, Lou and perhaps Hansen need to be moved in a blockbuster for those things mentioned above. Not sure what they end up being, who they are but a change is needed to wake this team up and bring some emotion / hunger back into their game (a la kassian). This often happens to teams that have regular season success but never quite do it in the playoffs, they become content..and I'm worried we're seeing that..

1. the Canucks are a team that didn't have any key players play in Europe. Nor in the minors (Edmonton). So they will take 5 games to get up to game speed. The Oilers top line has been playing together all year in the minors. Forget the Oilers, the canucks aren't capable of playing 60 minutes right now, they need 5 games to get up to speed...

2. they have some injuries, and are struggling on the trade front right now. 2 goalies is a waste of cap space when you only need one of that caliber.

3. the canucks always start slow. Like at first they don't want to play for AV, and then later realize they are playing for themselves and get on with it. I don't think they hate him, but they take 10 games or so to buy into his world again so it works. When they don't buy in, he is gone.

“We have a potential deal in place with one team that has to do something with another player that they have — and it’s not who anybody thinks it is — and so we have to wait. (But) we’ve been offered packages that don’t fit what our plan is, what we need,” said Gillis.

Like, how?

“Excess salary coming back with a [throw-in] player who can’t play in our lineup. They say, ‘OK, we’ll do this, but you’ve got to take this.’ Well, we’re not taking it. We’ve had lots of proposals like that with good pieces that can help us but the other part doesn’t help us, and oftentimes they have term attached to them, so we’d just be turning around and buying out a guy.

Archived