The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 4.0

Lu should have had both of those goals. It's much more frustrating for a defence to defend for a goalie who makes the saves he doesn't but lets in a lot of soft goals. Every shot against Lu is a legit scoring chance and that's very draining to our D.

Once again this game proves our goaltending is not the problem. Soft or not he only let in 2 goals. The Canucks should be able to get more then 2 goals on the Oilers. What more do you want from him? Its not like he was lit up 5 times and pulled half way through the game.

It's also frustrating for a goaltender to have a shutout through two periods and then have to watch his defenseman (who just signed a contract worth 5 million per year) let an opposing player walk around him with three seconds left in the period....

...he probably should have made that save, but he shouldn't have had to.

I can't believe the ignorance and blindness of here to support their own hatred. When Lou has a .938 percent average and lose they blame him but when Cory has the same game they say it wasn't his fault. Both our goalies are good goalies shaking off some rust. I fully expect Cory to bounce back but Lou played well yesterday too. My god it's like half of you don't watch any other game and just looking for reasons to spread hatred. It's not even reasonable anymore. We have two good goalies and there is no reason to blindly hate on one because you have a preference for another.

He shouldn't have let in that goal with 3 seconds left but Eberle blew by our defense and yet it's somehow all Loungo's fault and he lost the game for us? He made some key stops in that game where the our team gave away the puck right in the slot. Both Kass and Ballard off the top of my head got bailed out by him. Can people just stop with the blind hate already. It's getting tiresome.

I usually agree with Rupert as well. One of the level headed guys on this forum. Although Edler did drive him outside it wasn't enough. You can see he had Edler totally beat and spun around making a good defensemen look lost. Eberle still managed to drive to the net which should not happen. Especially not with 3 seconds left. I do agree that Loungo should have saved it as it was a critical point in the game and that needs to be saved. But that was also a wicked shot. I've been playing hockey for years and it takes a tremendous amount of skill to roof it that close going at that speed. It was an impressive shot.

With that said I blame both the defense and Loungo for letting that go in at a critical time. But I do not blame Loungo for losing the game. He made some key saves at other times as well that kept us in it. That game was lost because they seemed more prepared and had more jump than we did for a lot of the game.

I haven't said this much in my time on CDC, but I disagree with you Rupert. As a d-man, position is key and when you play a fast, skilled team like the Oilers, you want to play your position inside the dots and keep those skilled forwards out of the prime scoring zone (ie the slot). Thus you lay off the aggressive attack (Eberle can make you look awfully stupid as Edler found out earlier in the night), and you try and force those fwds to shoot from the outside and from bad angles.

Though Eberle exposed Edler with speed, Eddy managed to keep position and force him to shoot from an angle than every goaltender should have no trouble handling, regardless of the shooter, or the shot. That goal should never have gone in, and his team should have gone into the break with a two goal lead and momentum. That play changed the game, and it happens too too often with Luongo in net, imo.

I haven't said this much in my time on CDC, but I disagree with you Rupert.  As a d-man, position is key and when you play a fast, skilled team like the Oilers, you want to play your position inside the dots and keep those skilled forwards out of the prime scoring zone (ie the slot).  Thus you lay off the aggressive attack (Eberle can make you look awfully stupid as Edler found out earlier in the night), and you try and force those fwds to shoot from the outside and from bad angles.  

Though Eberle exposed Edler with speed, Eddy managed to keep position and force him to shoot from an angle than every goaltender should have no trouble handling, regardless of the shooter, or the shot.  That goal should never have gone in, and his team should have gone into the break with a two goal lead and momentum.  That play changed the game, and it happens too too often with Luongo in net, imo.

Yeah, we'll have to agree to disagree there. Now way should Eberle have gotten around Edler, especially with so little time left...

I do agree that Louie didn't play that particularly well, but assigning him all of the blame on that goal is giving Edler a ridiculous free pass, IMO.

Let's say both mad a mistake; but part of a goalie's job description is to erase inevitable mistakes. The goalie who makes less is more valuable!

Lou made less than Cory the day before, but both need to be better. Goaltending was a factor in both losses!

Gotta say I agree 100% Rupert - yes Edler made some amazing plays offensively but he got beat plain and simple by Eberle and it was a hell of a backhand by the kid. I'd rather have my goalie beat by an Eberle back hand then the two Winnick scored on Schneids - just saying.

I thought Luo played a decent game - I do agree he should have had the Hemsky one although both goalies have been the victim of some brutal positioning by our forwards and D so far.

It's also frustrating for a goaltender to have a shutout through two periods and then have to watch his defenseman (who just signed a contract worth 5 million per year) let an opposing player walk around him with three seconds left in the period....

...he probably should have made that save, but he shouldn't have had to.

On the Hemsky goal he was allowed to walk straight in and take a shot. Burrows was covering that side, and couldn't match the speed of Hemsky. He wasn't pressured at all.

Eberle's goal was just sick. It is soooo difficult to read a backhand, and I think Lu was staying deep because he expected a centering pass or wrap around.

Anyone blaming Lu for that loss is either uninformed, unintelligent, bias, or all of the above. He shares the blame, but by no means was he the problem.

I am not a Luongo fan as you all know and even I can reconize it wasnt the goaltending.

The Hemskey goal was weak, the Eb goal is highly underestimated, I can't think of many that can lift a back hander like that considering the angle and speed it was pretty awesome actually.

Team got flat at the exact moment the Oil shook of the rust.

These points are important, but its like the second game after 8 months of nothing so people need to relax.

Also looks like the trade rumours are next to dead so get use to it

Bob Luo will be here the season.

I am not a Luongo fan as you all know and even I can reconize it wasnt the goaltending.

The Hemskey goal was weak, the Eb goal is highly underestimated, I can't think of many that can lift a back hander like that considering the angle and speed it was pretty awesome actually.

Team got flat at the exact moment the Oil shook of the rust.

These points are important, but its like the second game after 8 months of nothing so people need to relax.

Also looks like the trade rumours are next to dead so get use to it

Bob Luo will be here the season.

Archived