The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

To ANYONE who thinks Luo isn't the starter!

The Creature Blue Lagoon

Apparently Schneider stunk it up in Europe big time. GAA well over 3 and a pretty average save % too. He was embarassed in a few games and had to be pulled. Then of course there's that shootout goal where Kane turned the poor kid inside out.

Sorry but 56 NHL games and 1 career playoff victory does not let you overthrow the franchise record holder and star goalie. I'll trust a guy who's been in this league about a decade, won Olympic gold and carried his team to Game 7 of the SCF over a still very much unproven backup goalie who has never faced the workload or pressure required of an NHL starter.

Can Schneider start as an NHL regular? Sure, but he hasn't yet and now should not be the time to experiment and see how he deals with this different beast. Stick to what we know and who we can trust, and that is Roberto Luongo. Yes he may be inconsistent at times, but over the course of a season he evens out to be a top-10 if not top-5 goalie, and he's been so consistently for the past decade.

That's a silly comparison, DownUnda. .914 Save % is respectable for a goalie on a bottom feeder team in a European league, on a huge ice surface that he isn't used to (it changes a lot of the angles players can shoot from, it's not an easy switch to make for goalies).

Umm,most professional hockey analysts / articles I've read say it's pretty much a done deal that Schneider is going to be the starter. So yes, it does let you overthrow the franchise goaltender, it's happening whether you like it or not. Continuously denying it isn't going to somehow change the reality.

I'm actually a bit on the fence; I actually agree with you that getting rid of Luongo is risky, especially given the condensed nature of the season. The problem is we don't have a bonified 2nd line centerman right now, which is a pretty glaring hole as well. We could potentially get one for Luongo in a trade. It'd be nice if we could keep both goalies, but I just don't see that happening. We need help up the middle with Kesler gone more than anything else on this team right now.

Where's all the peeps that were saying Lu to T>O> was pretty much done deal? If that were the case, Luongo is just back in town to say goodbye? I don't think so.

Schneider was wearing a Vancouver Grizzlies cap. A VANCOUVER GRIZZLIES CAP!!! The writing is on the wall! Good luck fading off into obscurity Schneiderman!!!! Give us a break or someone beam you up Scotty !

January 11, 2013

"But coach Alain Vigneault refused to say who will be the team's starter when the season opens."

"[Luongo's] one of my two goaltenders," said Vigneault during a media availability at Rogers Arena. "We've always made the decisions in the best interest of the team. We've got two great goaltenders, two great people that are great teammates and both want to play."

http://news.ca.msn.c...e-rumours-swirl

Just thought I would throw this out to all the Luo haters who want him gone. Heads up, cause the longer this goes on, the more likely he stays for the season. I've posted on this topic before, but a direct quote originating from today, just can't get anymore recent. Moving Luo this season is a huge risk and it looks the organization is aware of that.

LUO HATERS...... REACT TO ME :emot-parrot:

Lots of guys would love to have a wife and two healthy children.

I think Luo has another $40 million or so coming.

Any overpayment is Gillis' responsiblity.

Gillis conveniently offloaded the blame from his shoulders onto Luo's and ultimately on to another team's payroll.

Bit of a habit he has developed.

I agree that Luongo has had melt downs in the playoffs, and that turned me off of him quite a bit. But you're trying to trivialize his time here, which is silly. There's no doubt in my mind he was a KEY piece to the puzzle in transforming the Canucks from a bubble team to an elite team, and I'm certainly glad we had him. Have you been a fan long enough to remember the goalies the Canucks had before Luongo but after McClean? It wasn't pretty dude.

January 11, 2013

"But coach Alain Vigneault refused to say who will be the team's starter when the season opens."

"[Luongo's] one of my two goaltenders," said Vigneault during a media availability at Rogers Arena. "We've always made the decisions in the best interest of the team. We've got two great goaltenders, two great people that are great teammates and both want to play."

http://news.ca.msn.c...e-rumours-swirl

Just thought I would throw this out to all the Luo haters who want him gone. Heads up, cause the longer this goes on, the more likely he stays for the season. I've posted on this topic before, but a direct quote originating from today, just can't get anymore recent. Moving Luo this season is a huge risk and it looks the organization is aware of that.

LUO HATERS...... REACT TO ME :emot-parrot:

Archived