The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

One Canucks trade you'd take back/redo.

MashedBananas

You can't count Larionov as a mistake. The Canucks wanted to keep him but were required to pay the Russian Ice Hockey Federation a ridiculous sum to renew. Larionov , who was no big fan of the Soviet or Russian systems chose to sign in Switzerland to avoid the Canucks making a payment. The only mistake there was not resigning him when he decided to come back.

I know Bure wanted out, but john mccaw and orca bay were a horrible ownership group.

I wish the Griffiths stuck around longer, or the Aquilinis took over 20 years earlier, because i know for a fact our players would have been treated better.

Bure was never treated like the franchises best ever player. It would have been a treat for him to finish his career here. Could u imagine bure AND the west coast express??

Could have equalled cups cuPS CUPS!

** also**

Lots of Ballard hate, the guy is not a bad dman, cap hit might be a bit high but its not like we gave him that contract.

At the time it looked like we fleeced florida cause they waived Grabner, and the Islanders are just reaping the benefits (which arent that great, CDC tends to over value "players that got away", the guy plays with Tavares.)

Really..?

we've gottwn quite a few big names with florida, yes Bure left with a florida trade which was dumb but hey still you cant say every trade w/ florida was bad...

off the top of my head i can think of a few great players we got from them who have impacted our team in a great way !

we got players like

Lu

Jovocop (bure trade yes i know but still we loved this guy, who dosent?

Well for trades that really only make a difference now I'd say the one that has had the most negative impact and wasn't needed would be the Cooke for Pettinger trade.

Coho for Kassian was a good trade for both teams and it seems needed to happen. (Common sense states that if you have a meeting with the coach about your role on the team days before the trade deadline you aren't happy with your current role.) What I would change however would be including Sulzer and Gragnani. Not a big deal really.

Grabner needed to be done or we would have lost him for nothing. Ballard was a good choice to bring back but I would have liked to have kept Bernier and not gotten Oreo in return. Again not a big deal.

I think the biggest gaff that would have an effect on todays team is getting rid of Cooke for Pettinger. Didn't really need to happen and it made the team worse.

Other then the obvious Cam Neely trade, one that I really didn't like was:

Bill Muckalt, Kevin Weekes, Dave Scatchard

for

Felix Potvin, 2nd round pick, 3rd round pick

I had high hopes for Muckalt and Scatchard!

ALSO

Russ Courtnall, Esa Tikkanen

for

Sergei Nemchinov, Brian Noonan

I absolutely hated trading Russ Courtnall and his speed!

Stojanov for Naslund

Yes, Naslund had the more prolific career by miles....but in the end he still didnt generate success where it counted...in the playoffs.

If we had never got Naslund, we might have somewhere down the line filled that void with a player with some heart instead.

Stojanov, in Vancouver might have developed slightly different than he did in Pitt. Not saying he was going to be an NHL all-star, but he might have been a capable NHL 3rd liner with time, and while it still would have been a downgrade on offensive skill, at least he gave his all every game & didnt sulk when things didnt go his way. I'll take a player that is consistently average every game than 1 twho is great when games arent intense, and abysmal when games start to matter.

As for those of you who are ripping the Neely trade. Its only lopsided because Neely was able to develop in Boston... something he wasnt going to do here for at best 3 years with Smyl & Tanti, 2 players at the time who were practically untouchable in Vancouver, ahead of him in the roster. The part of the trade that made it most painful is that we added in the draft pick that became Glen Wesley. Neely for Pederson straight up was actually not a terrible trade in theory. We got a centre we needed, got rid of a right winger we couldnt find playing time for, and dont forget Barry had 2 70+ pt seasons here after the trade before his production started to taper off. Thats something Neely wasnt going to come close to here in that time.

Its ONLY a bad trade BECAUSE of the fact the Bruins managed to find a place for Neely and he had opportunity as a top 6 forward.

I never would of let Naslund finish of his last season in the NHL in New York... That was a weak move. He could have easily moved down the line up as Linden did (After we got him back, which he shouldn't have been traded anyways) At least we retired his number though, could of been a lot worse. Bure? Just as bad, if not worse. :picard:

EDIT: I'm not completely hating on the Linden trade though, we did get to see Bertuzzi in his glory days after all.

Archived