The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Sedins want to re-sign after 2014

hockeyville88

All this talk about the Sedins retiring after their next contract makes me feel really old. We've watched them grow and mature from baby faced red heads to the honourable men they are today. Someday, we'll all look back with pride at what these two were able to accomplish despite all the criticism they took in their early years.

I'd give them 6 mil each for 3 years, 5 mil on the fourth year and 4 mil on the last year. (5 year 27 mil contracts) We need these guys until they retire for sure, now's not the time to get cheap! Let's get it done before their contracts expire, MG knows how important it is so I don't have to say anything else really.

I trust that the Sedin's will fully play out whatever contracts they sign. Just contract wise though, because they should still get good money, I wouldn't want to sign them for too long. 2 years would be ideal but I'd give them 3. Hopefully for about $5 mil a year is they give us a deal.

I think MG should think outside of the box.

Bring the Sedins into a room without their agent.

Give them a pen and a checkbook and tell them to write what they want.

Sedins will talk amongst themselves, see the team salary cap structure and write a check to themselves which will ensure Canucks are strong for the rest of their careers

Depends whether or not MG is looking at the future of this franchise as he claims or not. Most likely a 3 year deal and then hard choices will have to be made.

The smart thing for the team would be to trade them and get a goal scoring sniper, roster player, a top prospect and perhaps 2 1st round draft pick in return while they could demand such value.

As the Canucks division is getting stronger and the ability to keep their stats high via the their divisional games will be greatly reduced with an improved Oilers, Wild and Av's. Don't see any more 100 points seasons coming with a tougher division.They point totals do drop down in the playoffs. The reality with all the injuries to Kelser and Booth they'll never be the premiere 1st line players the Sedins are now and with them here more than three years its pretty much impossible to get draft picks up to par for when they are no longer the first line. Especially when their only shot at first line will be right wing. I expect next year will go along way to determining what's going to happen.

How many years and how many dollars they get will depend on whether they regain their mojo or not. If their ppg production drops dramatically from previous years, then their contract will likely be short (2 years?) and far less than 6 million (4?). Depending on how far their production falls, they could be moved down from the first line to the second, with Kesler moving up. 2014 is a long ways off in hockey terms.

Archived