The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

National Anthem

hero11

Any one else disappointed in the lack of National Anthem coverage before the games?

Ever since I was a little boy, I can remember Hockey Night in Canada and the the national anthem being played every Saturday (at least). Listening to my parents sing along, and learning the words myself, always reenforced my pride to be Canadian, and the family bond it builds as we prepared to watch our Canucks. Now, as I sit with my son to watch hockey, one thing that is always looked forward to is the singing of the anthem. He was old enough to see how Mark Donnelly can get an arena of 18000 people to become one voice, 18003 including ours, and the powerful feeling of solidarity and pride it gave. He learned how to sing all the words this way, refreshing my own memories as a kid.

Rarely is it played anymore, and it's quite a letdown in our house.

It would seem that the almighty dollar is that is generated by a McDonalds commercial is more important than broadcasting the once proud moment of an entire province or country watching and singing our National Anthem at the same time.

Please bring the National Anthem coverage back!!!

The only Canadian city that I love hearing the anthems aside from Vancouver is Winnipeg. So much pride and love for True North Sports & Entertainment for bringing the Jets back. If only Vancouverites would have the same amount of passion as people living in Winnipeg for hockey, things would be different

Archived