The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Made You A Canucks Fan?

Aladeen

Geography

They were the home team so that's who I cheered for. The Canucks (the NHL version anyways) are only a year older than I am so I've been following them almost from the start.

Granted, growing up, my favourite player was Bobby Orr but my favourite team has always been the Canucks.

Liked the flying skate logo as a kid. So I wanted to follow them more than anyone else for some reason. I live in Ontario so I didn't get to watch many games. Then I became a hardcore fan once we started making the playoffs almost every year since I was able to watch a lot more games on TV. Then became a die hard fan once I was able to watch every game.

The more I watched, the more I liked them. :)

Dad always watched HNIC on Saturday nights but I wasn't really that interested in watching pro hockey until 1993 or so. I remember originally liking the Leafs because my Mom was from Toronto and also the Montreal Canadians after they won the Cup that year.

Then the first round of 1994 playoffs happened. The Canucks came back from a 3-1 deficit against the Calgary Flames and Pavel Bure scored on a breakaway to win Game 7 in Overtime. I have been a die hard Canucks fan ever since. That year was so magical and had such a drastic impact on me. Talk about a true Cinderella story.

That must have been amazing, to have been there (well, except the rioting). We had people over every game and flooded out into the streets afterward...everyone did in the entire neighbourhood. There were flags, honking, crying, celebrating...it was something special. It was so exciting....part of it was that they were a team of workhorses who just didn't have any quit in them. They were really accessible to the fans back then - I remember that year we attended a brunch with the team, open pratices, the Family Carnival, etc. It felt like watching family out there on the ice. My love of hockey really escalated during that period.

I started watching hockey in 1993/1994 my mother had just got re-married and I bonded with my step dad while watching hockey. His favorite team (and my 2nd) is Detroit. I remember this one time I was really angry at him for some unknown reason and so I decided I was going to cheer against the Redwings and cheer for whoever they were playing. This happened to be Vancouver (who is also one of the teams he dislikes) I can't even remember who won that game and even if Van played good but by the end of that game I was a Canuck fan. I like to think that there was just something about the Canucks that captured my heart but I think it was mostly a way to 'act' out. I was rebelling against my step dad by liking a team he disliked and who his favorite team was playingI just never thought I would spend the rest of my life loving that team.

1994 run and the heart of Trevor Linden! He eventually became my all time favorite player... even bough an official home Linden jersey of the 94 finals a few years back, cost me a mint, but totally worth it!!!

Linden, Bure, Mclean... just an amazing team!

Even though the team that lost to Boston were favotites and won the presidents trophy, doesn;t compare to the 1994 team, that was all heart, grit, and one hell of a game breaker!

That must have been amazing, to have been there (well, except the rioting). We had people over every game and flooded out into the streets afterward...everyone did in the entire neighbourhood. There were flags, honking, crying, celebrating...it was something special. It was so exciting....part of it was that they were a team of workhorses who just didn't have any quit in them. They were really accessible to the fans back then - I remember that year we attended a brunch with the team, open pratices, the Family Carnival, etc. It felt like watching family out there on the ice. My love of hockey really escalated during that period.

I started watching hockey in 1993/1994 my mother had just got re-married and I bonded with my step dad while watching hockey. His favorite team (and my 2nd) is Detroit. I remember this one time I was really angry at him for some unknown reason and so I decided I was going to cheer against the Redwings and cheer for whoever they were playing. This happened to be Vancouver (who is also one of the teams he dislikes) I can't even remember who won that game and even if Van played good but by the end of that game I was a Canuck fan. I like to think that there was just something about the Canucks that captured my heart but I think it was mostly a way to 'act' out. I was rebelling against my step dad by liking a team he disliked and who his favorite team was playingI just never thought I would spend the rest of my life loving that team.

Mainly geography. That and my dad watched them almost religiously. I didn't really start watching every game until about 06 or so. The moment I knew that I would never cheer for another team as much as I do for the Canucks was Daniel's between the legs goal against the flames. That cemented my love for eternity.

Archived