The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is it time for a new coach?

Italia2006

Outshooting opponents does not necessarily mean you are outplaying them though.......many of the shots we see from the Canucks are perimeter shots into the glove or the crest with no rebound.....stat padding shots don't count towards effectiveness unfortunately.

I mean you're going to have to prove to me that they aren't. If anything, i see too many shots being passed up. The amount that do make it to the net is indicative that they're trying.

Of course if that were the case, then your "theory" that the team is lazy and uninspired would be shot to hell, so of course, you have to try and discredit it, even though you have no way of proving your opinion.

Do you honestly believe that the Canucks didn't get any quality shots on Howard?

lol!!!!!

Hey, great argument!

"lol" some more.

What does what I said have to do with Baggins' response?

Zack Kassian should play even less defense than he does now, and that would free him up to score buckets of goals while not hurting the Canucks any more defensively?

Schroeder told to float around centre ice, not chip the puck up the boards on the defensive half-boards, make cross ice passes at his own blue line, not come back to help his defense when they get outmanned?

This isn't Gretzky going one-way in a league with up-and-down play where defense is an afterthought. It's West Conference grind-it-out hockey where you hold the opposition to as few good scoring chances on the sweet spot on the ice as possible.

An approach of defensive "who cares" get you --

90 goals for

135 against.

LOL!

I caught up on the banter this last page and really guys?

We are looking at shots on goal as an indicative measure of how the Canucks outplayed their opponents in the last few games???

We were completely ineffective last night while Minni had much better scoring chances but hey its ok, we out shot them...

Why don't we not even bother dumping the puck in anymore, why don't we just shoot it from the red line from now on?

I mean as long as we "outplay" them right?

AV had Luongo as his captain and how did that go? Now they have Henrik. These guys are not captains. It is always one blunder after another with this coach. Its like he goes by hunches or guesses most of the time. That is no way to run a team. The other problem is Gillis. With these 2 and the apparent lack of concern by the owners and the knowledge that they will always have a full building, what do we expect the team to do but fall apart. They have also lost to injury some very important players. To me the team looks very different than the team that won 2 presidents trophys.They have lost their swagger and intensity.

I caught up on the banter this last page and really guys?

We are looking at shots on goal as an indicative measure of how the Canucks outplayed their opponents in the last few games???

We were completely ineffective last night while Minni had much better scoring chances but hey its ok, we out shot them...

Why don't  we not even bother dumping the puck in anymore, why don't we just shoot it from the red line from now on?

I mean as long as we "outplay" them right?

There is a study that suggests a change in coach mid-season produces at least a short term improvement of team performance. I can't remember the name of the study, but it is discovered that the players experience a type of shock, or surprise that jolts them into a state of relief that the focus is off of them. The whole team experiences, in times of poor performance, a feeling of being responsible for the poor performance. When the coach is the one replaced, the team feels relief that things may change, and hope that things will change. Plus they feel compelled to prove themselves to the new coach, thus improving their performance, unconsciously.

I wish I could remember where I read this, but unfortunately I cannot site it.

No, I wouldn't. However, you can't prove this to be your case. In the last 8 games the Canucks have averaged almost 35 shots/game. Of those games, I would say that Bob(twice), Niemi and Howard played outstanding against them.

The two games against Minny and the Calgary game were just solid goaltending performances. Nashville was admittedly poor.

It's easy to say that they were just "perimeter" shots, but I don't buy it.

Being a two way player does not mean 90% defence though. it still means you have to allow for some offensive creativity from the guys who have that ability. When you see a guy like Schroeder having a good game offensively as a coach you need to put him in a position to have that help ignite other guys as well. Sestito, Wiese, and Pinizotto are willing foot soldiers but let's face facts the odds are stacked against them making a consistent difference offensively nased on limited skill. Last game Schroeder was stirring the drink for an effective 4th line. When you are struggling for offense like the Canucks did, you should move that guy to a line with guys who have more finish. Not have him play less than 10 minutes.....

I am not even a big Schroeder fan but he was buzzing offensively. Instead of reigning that in they need to get more of it and try to get other players going with it as well.

I am not suggesting an all offense, no defence style nor sis I say so at all. I am suggesting that offensive creativity is a HUGE sore spot with this team the last few years and when they do get some it seems to be squashed by the coach.

And honestly, this defence is not holding other teams to limited scoring chances. Actually the opposite is true. They routinely allow other teams great scoring chances from the choice areas of the ice. I don't see this team as good defensively at all this season or last. So it is really more like a zero way strategy than a two way strategy at this point. Limited offense and porous defence.

Sounds like a great strategy for any team.

Archived