The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is it time for a new coach?

Italia2006

(1)Goaltending is the least of the Canucks problems yet you identified it as a large part of the reason we lost the last 8. That already tells me we are WAY off in our assessments. We shouldn't have to rely on a goaltender to steal games to win.

As for quitting on the coach? Who knows...none of us can read the players minds. (2)But what we do know is they are capable of playing much better than they have shown so far this season. If they are under performing, you also have to look at their boss (AV) and ask whether he is inspiring them to play at their best (which they haven't)

We also disagree with his choices in lines, his treatment of his players and his strategy. (3)Last night, he did decide to pull back in the 3rd and what happened? Blues pretty much played in our zone in the 3rd the whole time.

One would think AV might re-evaluate this strategy after already blowing a few 2 goal leads this year but no. Same old AV

So after the 1st goal maybe he should be thinking, what have I done? let's call a time out regroup and maybe we play our game again...but no, same old, no time out, no reorganization...

And as for Schroeder moving up to play with Hansen and Raymond... (4)are we "fans" just geniuses? I mean we were calling for this 5-10 games ago but AV finally does it now?

Is he slow?

(1) No, there are several things amiss currently in the Canucks game, but next to the non-existent PP, the goaltending is the biggest issue. Before last game (don't have the stats today), Canucks were 19th in save %, and that's with a combined 9.3 million cap hit between the pipes. I'd call that abysmal.

(2) We know no such thing. The team has one centre and is getting killed in the face-off circle. They then have to chase the puck for the first 20 seconds 3 of every 4 shifts. Henrik has to take many Dzone draws now, so even when he (we) win those draws, the twins have to work their magic from deep in their zone many times.

(3) We won?

AV whiners have been saying the same thing for three years at least. Even in our penultimate year, every time we "sat back" on a 3-1 lead, were outshot, and won the game 3-2, AV was "playing scared". Right. That's why we were the last team in the league that year to lose in regulation after having had a lead through two periods.(edit:) and we had the best record in the league, so we had more opportunities than every other team to lose those games.

You'll notice that when our lead was only one last night, St Louis didn't get a sniff. Oh,and St Louis? They had a total meltdown and blew a three goal lead late in the game not too long ago. It happens even to the "best" of coaches.

(4) Apparently you are. However haven't you received a call for your input yet from a panicked Gillis?

Kassian has been no worse defensively than most of the forwards on this team imo.

As to your explanation of the defensive mistakes made, the only difference is in the coach's mind. Are you suggesting that when Edler gets walked around while going for a hit it is a mistake that happens to everyone but when Ballard does it he doesn't have a clue and it is more damaging?

Do you even watch the games? The Sedins lack of speed and often lack of hustle defensively leads to them taking obstruction penalties more than they probably should. Edler causes more defensive issues against with his clueless defence and suspect decision making than all of our other D combined. And boy is THAT saying something with how brutal pretty much all of our D has been this season.

Yes, but though we may be seeing the same things as they happen, we obviously have different interpretations of what they mean.

Edler, it's true, makes quite a few "puck bloop" mistakes. Pucks over his stick that he has to retrieve, thereby cutting 30 seconds off the PP. Whiffs on passes, that type of thing. Occasionally -- but not "often" as you say, he gets walked around.

Ballard, OTOH, makes crucial ill-timed decisions as to who to cover and when. Those types of mistakes kill the Canucks because often it lets his man get home-free in the deep slot -- the danger zone on any rush.

So again, it's not a question of "how many" blunders, it's a question of the type, and the results that stem from those blunders.

Mitigating all of Edler's blunders (since you love to pick on him, and it's pertinent to the comparison) is the fact that he's much better offensively than is Ballard, so a straight defense-only comparison has to be weighed with all the other components of a Dman's game.

As to Kassian's defense, I've said my piece. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

It's time for a complete overhaul. Coaching staff, defense, offense. Gotta start with something. I'm tired of this 'core'. I'm tired of the tired excuses I read in the media and online. I'm tired of the defenders/sympathizers still claiming there is a window for success for this group. It's closed and done. Only homers with blinders don't see the downward spiral this team is in. It's time to live in reality. Something has to happen. Not a tinker here, a tinker there. Can the coach. Trade some pieces (ie. trade a good LHD for a RHD, get a legit 2nd or 3rd line C, etc.) The longer management waits to do something, the worse this will get. Try something! Staying the course and hoping for better results is what losers do. This team has been cough cough one player short for 10 years when in fact they were always a few players short. If you make some moves and fail, so what, at least you made an effort to improve.

If it's true, what people are writting on the boards in the trade and rumours section, Babcock could be available. Lets trade Av for Babcock at the deadline.

I'd love to have him here and I'm sure MG would too. MG praises the Red Wings organization.

If people are stupid enough as they are here for firing Babs, then they are not even trying to look at things transparently.

The Red Wings are almost identical with the Canucks in their struggles right now. The differences are that they are deep down the middle and lack speed. The Canucks are the polar opposite.

The Red Wings are a much better team than how they have been playing and have consistency issues. Same as the Canucks.

Coaching is the least of these teams problems.

At this point with the injuries etc., management is really where any significant changes need to come from (a trade, something). Bringing in a new coach now may get a bit more from the core, but there are too many gaps in the lineup to think that that will be even close to enough anymore.

Yesterday's game showed that AV is a good coach but the wrong coach for the Canucks.

He's at his best when he's got a team full of plugs and his strategy is perfectly suited for those types of players.

They find a way to overachieve...

Yet when we have most of our players (stars) in the line up, they underachieve

If I was AV, I would look at going to the bottom teams in the league that have potential with a good mix of some stars and lots of grinders.

He is perfect for teams like Columbus, Calgary and when he gets those teams into the playoffs, he'll be God.

Yesterday's game showed that AV is a good coach but the wrong coach for the Canucks.

He's at his best when he's got a team full of plugs and his strategy is perfectly suited for those types of players.

They find a way to overachieve...

Yet when we have most of our players (stars) in the line up, they underachieve

If I was AV, I would look at going to the bottom teams in the league that have potential with a good mix of some stars and lots of grinders.

He is perfect for teams like Columbus, Calgary and when he gets those teams into the playoffs, he'll be God.

Archived