The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edler hit on Smith - suspendable?

stonecoldstevebernier

Read my post...I was 20-30 feet away....saw it first hand...no attempt at avoidance....was he hurt in crash with Daniel? most likely but he would have played 3rd period if it were possible..Talk about talking out of your ass...check the mirror bonehead. I;m not anti Edler but it was an obvious intent to hit smith.

Mike Smith, is at fault as much as Edler is. this isnt a dump and chase scenario, the canucks already had the zone gained, he wants to go behind the net and play the puck, while players are skating hard to it, thats his choice and should be liable. Joke 5min major. The Shaw hit is a little different, Edler saw Smith at last second, Shaw went it to try and seperate him from puck, accidentley caught his head. Edler will get 2. just cause. or if were Lucky Shanny will see, where the problem lies. and realise the 5 was more then enough

Again, the Nash hit happens so fast, it's impossible for me to see whether or not he was head hunting. If you slow it down, fram by frame, you can see Nash lining up the hit, but you also see the Florida player bent at the waste and, as a result, his head is in elbow range. Also, Nash's forearms make contact first with the back - like he's bracing for a check or delivering a check. His elbow only rides up as the two bodies brush by each other and knocks the helmet off. It happens so fast that it looks like Nash was trying to kill him. But I know he wasn't.

Again, the Nash hit happens so fast, it's impossible for me to see whether or not he was head hunting. If you slow it down, fram by frame, you can see Nash lining up the hit, but you also see the Florida player bent at the waste and, as a result, his head is in elbow range. Also, Nash's forearms make contact first with the back - like he's bracing for a check or delivering a check. His elbow only rides up as the two bodies brush by each other and knocks the helmet off. It happens so fast that it looks like Nash was trying to kill him. But I know he wasn't.

It's suspendable (no suspension or 1 game, is my call) because Edler made little / no attempt to avoid contact with Smitty the Diving Gorilla after said gorilla punched Dank in the lips with his cheater. I saw Eddie's hit as retribution for the punch.

Despite what you think is the way it should be, here's the rule right from the NHL Rule Book:

69.4 Contact Outside the Goal Crease - If an attacking player initiates any contact with a goalkeeper, other than incidental contact, while the goalkeeper is outside his goal crease, and a goal is scored, the goal will be disallowed.

A goalkeeper is not “fair game” just because he is outside the goal crease. The appropriate penalty should be assessed in every case where an attacking player makes unnecessary contact with the goalkeeper. However, incidental contact will be permitted when the goalkeeper is in the act of playing the puck outside his goal crease provided the attacking player has made a reasonable effort to avoid such unnecessary contact.

When a goalkeeper has played the puck outside of his crease and is then prevented from returning to his crease area due to the deliberate actions of an attacking player, such player may be penalized for goalkeeper interference. Similarly, the goalkeeper may be penalized, if by his actions outside of his crease he deliberately interferes with an attacking player who is attempting to play the puck or an opponent.

It's suspendable (no suspension or 1 game, is my call) because Edler made little / no attempt to avoid contact with Smitty the Diving Gorilla after said gorilla punched Dank in the lips with his cheater. I saw Eddie's hit as retribution for the punch.

Despite what you think is the way it should be, here's the rule right from the NHL Rule Book:

69.4 Contact Outside the Goal Crease - If an attacking player initiates any contact with a goalkeeper, other than incidental contact, while the goalkeeper is outside his goal crease, and a goal is scored, the goal will be disallowed.

A goalkeeper is not “fair game” just because he is outside the goal crease. The appropriate penalty should be assessed in every case where an attacking player makes unnecessary contact with the goalkeeper. However, incidental contact will be permitted when the goalkeeper is in the act of playing the puck outside his goal crease provided the attacking player has made a reasonable effort to avoid such unnecessary contact.

When a goalkeeper has played the puck outside of his crease and is then prevented from returning to his crease area due to the deliberate actions of an attacking player, such player may be penalized for goalkeeper interference. Similarly, the goalkeeper may be penalized, if by his actions outside of his crease he deliberately interferes with an attacking player who is attempting to play the puck or an opponent.

I hope Edler had intention to hit Smith...at least this shows that Edler is coming out of the shell that he's been in since the start of the season. The fact that it was Smith is collateral damage...I'm glad that Edler hit someone. Hopefully this means he's getting some confidence back.

My initial reaction was that Edler did not hold back, and in fact looked like he was bracing for a hit...good on him. The five minutes he got was a subjective call...clean history for Edler and Smith has history of roaming and getting involved. Hopefully that all works in Edler's favor.

Regardless, it's good to see Edler run over opposing players again...opposing forwards, defencemen, goalies...it doesn't matter, as long as we get the Edler of 2010-2011 back.

how was he supposed to avoid it? He was pressed right up against the boards........I guess he could have stopped, but it's a close game, and the puck was playable by both he and Smith. I guess a penalty was in order, but only for optics sake, imo. As others have said, it's not like it was a dump in where Smith comes out, has time to play it and then gets hit. It was actually a pass, not a dump in........in no way should Smith have been out there playing that puck. He is, imo, just as much at fault.

If anything, Nash's contact on Kopecky is a hit from behind (though it can be argued that Kopecky turned)...Kopecky and Nash are lucky that this hit did not take place 3 feet from the boards because Kopecky could very well laying in a hospital bed trying to fight off paralysis from the neck down. Any and all hitting from behind needs to be taken out of the game...just looked what happened to Richards when Kaleta ran him from behind (if I'm not mistaken, Nash was even on the ice when that happened).

Nash deserves some punishment for his hit on Kopecky.

Edler gets a call

Nash gets nothing for this

Definitely a suspension. I don't believe went in to target Smith but he made little attempt to (at least try) get out the way of him to avoid. It is a tough one to take, as Edler was going for the puck and with not much space behind the net with both Edler and Smith there it was going to be hard to get out the way, but still could have at least tried to get out the way.

A lot of Canucks fans say the NHL should be fair, and yet a lot of you are saying the 5 min penalty is enough. What if Schnieder/Luongo were hit like this? You would all want a suspension.

I say 2-3 games is pretty fair as (I've read on here) Shaw got that amount and his hit was fairly similar to Edler's. Shaw's looked a little worse but still....

I have a problem with this argument....isn't it a normal reaction (in a split second) to raise your arm to protect yourself (in a hockey scenario or otherwise) if you are about to crash into something????? I don't believe it was intentional to raise his arm in order to hit Smith.

Archived