The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Eklund Speculates on a 'Major Deal' ...Canucks?

Please lets stop dreaming about Ovi and giving us more false hope.

plus if we get Ovi I will never be able to afford tickets... I already only get to only 2-3 games ayear... with Ovi tickets would triple

U r nuts!! You are not going to draft a guy like OVI... unless u have the lottery draft.. so if you can make a deal.. you do it.. Jensen, LU or cory, + a top 6D , ballard (CAP Dump) and X amount of 1st round picks... OVI in Van = Cup

Talent we have? like what.. kesler? Put ovie with the twins and continue to have a one line team. Particularly because you can't afford anyone else with his cap hit. We will need all those firsts and young guys to fill out a roster. No one is saying he isn't a good player. But he isn't a 9.5 million dollar cap hit for the next 7 years good while emptying your asset cupboard and multiple first rd picks to get him. He just isn't worth that.

Luo's contract is better and i would bet money that keeping luo for the next 5 years that he would steal and win us more games by himself than ovi would in the same period, for less cap hit and thats trading them straight up and not losing the offense from jensen, raymond and our 1st picks.

I'd be hesitant to do the deal if it was just for ballard and booth.. that contract is bloated and long and after 2014 you will never be rid of it if he doesn't perform and on top of that it destroys the payscale for every other player on the team.

I'm not saying trading a butt load of prospects isn't a crazy move, It is. Nor am I saying we should do it. I'm just saying if you did your icing a complete juggernaut of a team for the next 5 years... The lineup I list below should be affordable and insanely built for success. Completely crazy to trade the farm for, sure, but anyone saying he makes us worse is nuts.

Yes the talent we have like kesler

Sedin sedin burr

Ovie Schroeder kesler

Kassian ott Hansen

Tito lappy weise

That is an unreal lineup. It is too risky to do, I give you that... But your cup chances are through the roof compared to what we have now.

I'm not saying trading a butt load of prospects isn't a crazy move, It is. Nor am I saying we should do it. I'm just saying if you did your icing a complete juggernaut of a team for the next 5 years... The lineup I list below should be affordable and insanely built for success. Completely crazy to trade the farm for, sure, but anyone saying he makes us worse is nuts.

Yes the talent we have like kesler

Sedin sedin burr - $16.5 m cap hit

Ovie Schroeder kesler - $15.5m cap hit

Kassian ott Hansen - $5m cap hit

Tito lappy weise - $2.2m cap hit

ebbet - $.6m cap hit

Pinnizotto - $.6m caphit

fwds - $40.2 m cap hit

Hamhuis Bieksa - $9.1m cap hit

Edler Tanev - $6m cap hit

Garrison Alberts - $5.8m cap hit

Barker - .7m cap hit

def - $21.6 m cap hit

Schneider - $4m cap hit

lack - .75m cap hit

goalies - $4.75m cap hit

total cap hit = $66.55m

That is an unreal lineup. It is too risky to do, I give you that... But your cup chances are through the roof compared to what we have now.

Yeah I know, I was never advocating we should go get ovechkin. It's a silly Eklund rumor so a few of us were discussing what it would look like to fit him in. As stawns just posted I'm 2 mill over the cap with that lineup for next year so I guess additional moves would need to be made, not to mention fitting a couple raises in there. So a core dman would probably have to go.

But just for the sake of discussion you take either Bieksa or garrison out and get a prospect for him.

Hamhuis Bieksa

Edler tanev

Alberts barker/andersson

You took a hit on defense but you got the best top 6 fwds in the league... and absolutely no future untill your post window fire sale lol.

Hahaha well thanks for giving me some credit at least.. Obviously it's a completely outrageous move. I'm not for a second advocating it, traditionally I'm more cautious then most of giving up the future. Just for the sake of discussion I was trying to put that aside and weigh it out. If your gonna do it how would you do it type thing.

Originally I said luongo Ballard Jensen 2 firsts

Lu Ballard are expendable so I break it down as Jensen and 2 firsts are the big loss. Don't get me wrong big losses.. If you were to turn around and flip a 30 yr old ovechkin in a few years, IMO you could get that back or close to it. At least a Jensen equivalent and first.

There's other cons as well:

Contract structure

Pissing off a core dman

Downgraded defense

All in all I think it is doable... But it's a massive risk

Archived