The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do we owe AV an apology?

DSVII

The recent run of wins is because of two things.

1. Great goaltending, something AV is benefiting from and is giving the team confidence. The first few games Cory robed for us but with wins it gives the team confidence and they start playing better as a team. AV credit, don't think so.

2. Reuniteing the speed line, this is something that everyone and there dog was yelling for the day after he broke it up, it was a bone headed move and it took weeks if not longer for AV to admit he was wrong and put a line back together that everyone knows except AV is a good line. Good coaching... Don't think so.

Fire AV....

We haven't really taken the NW back Min has 2 games in hand and if they win 1 they would be in 3rd.

Our streak is much needed, and is rather remarkable given the injuries but amazing goaltending and a bit of a soft schedule are more to thank then the coach.

Kudos where it is due though, AV has adapted the strategy a bit which I didn't think he would do until it was too late so he is doing his job.

No chance. As stated before this team will not win a CUP with this joker in place as coach. He just started using Garrison on the point again. Why did that take so long? Their are so many things about this guy that need to go. He's stale.

1. Great goaltending, something AV is benefiting from and is giving the team confidence. The first few games Cory robed for us but with wins it gives the team confidence and they start playing better as a team. AV credit, don't think so.

2. Reuniteing the speed line, this is something that everyone and there dog was yelling for the day after he broke it up, it was a bone headed move and it took weeks if not longer for AV to admit he was wrong and put a line back together that everyone knows except AV is a good line. Good coaching... Don't think so.

Fire AV....

Everyone and their dog was wrong. Schroeder was playing poorly and got moved down and then moved out. Then he came back and was very shortly put back up to the second line and has played better and more consistently since he returned.

Congrats AV.

If you think Schroeder was playing great before; even when on the second line you're insane.

While I can appreciate some of the more intelligent conversation within this thread from people on both sides of the arguement I need to point out the following. Those of us who happen to have lost faith in AV and think it is time for him to go have been subjected to the following personal attacks and slagging, we:

• are whining

• are freakazoids

• are schizo

• are reactionary

• guilty of mindless criticism

• don't have awareness

• don't have decent sense

• just lash out at the first person that comes to mind

• just want to bash somebody

• aren't real fans at all

• have zero patience

• have the memory of a goldfish

• are fickle

• are often quite stupid

• are ignorant fools

• have cost the team

• are holding the team back

• are rooting against the team

• we need to recognize our wrongs

• should repent

• are nitpicking

• are "so called fans"

• are ungrateful

• are fools

• are dumb

• have little to no grasp of reality let alone hockey

• are insanely idiotic

• are all guilty of rambling incoherent responses

• don't have close to anything considered a rational thought

• need to stfu

Really? We're the ones that need to check ourselves? The hypocrisy has never been so thick.

Progress is made by those willing to push forward and challenge the status quo not by those whom simply choose to accept things as they are.

Everyone and their dog was wrong. Schroeder was playing poorly and got moved down and then moved out. Then he came back and was very shortly put back up to the second line and has played better and more consistently since he returned.

Congrats AV.

If you think Schroeder was playing great before; even when on the second line you're insane.

Yes that's because AV has given Schneider the ball to run with. Before his hot streak, both goaltenders struuggled and AV did the right thing in bouncing back between the two to see if one started to find their rhythm. What about the back to back to starts for Schneider? Wasn't that a smart move by AV? Didn't he as coach recognize Schneider was coming on? That's a smart move and what you want from a good coach.

No chance. As stated before this team will not win a CUP with this joker in place as coach. He just started using Garrison on the point again. Why did that take so long? Their are so many things about this guy that need to go. He's stale.

Do you maybe think it's because if the puck gets past him and it's a foot race the other way, he's going to lose?

I guess my personality is a little more results driven than some others that are happy with the "status quo", and I don't fault people for that, I understand people "fall in love" with certain players, coaching staff etc. and are willing to overlook some of their misgivings, unfortunately I believe this may be what has happened with AV in regards to some of the players, and his coaching staff

The only result they haven't gotten is the SC win, with a fairly depleted roster at times....and they've been close.

The status quo has given us some fairly good results, with no guarantees that changes will be improvements. People here speak like there's a magic formula...that you just go "get" someone that slides into place and makes things better. Sometimes, they make it worse. There are no guarantees and we hear that "AV's got a line up that he should win with". How about the Oilers? The coaching change didn't guarantee success.

If this years playoffs are disastrous then, yes, I definitely think a change is in order. But AV's been the one behind the bench who's helped MAKE this unit great...if he was an awful coach, that wouldn't be the case.

A lot of us have been calling for AV's head the last few weeks, but considering the roster we've iced for the last few games, i'm mighty impressed that we've pulled this latest streak together (although that does come with stellar play by Schneids.)

But considering we've taken the Northwest division back with this roster, it's quite impressive.

Daniel Sedin - Henrik Sedin - Chris Higgins

Mason Raymond - Jordan Schroeder - Jannik Hansen

Andrew Gordon - Maxim Lapierre - Tom Sestito

Andrew Ebbett - Alex Burrows

Kevin Bieksa - Andrew Alberts

Dan Hamhuis - Jason Garrison

Chris Tanev - Cam Barker

And to those of us who thought AV may have lost the room, the team has adapted well to AV's readjustment to their game (the *%*%ing dump/change and grinding style, which is boring but in this case it's paying off). Not only that, should we also give AV credit for placing Hansen in a situation where he's having a breakout year this year?

I've been on the 'fire AV' bandwagon for a while, but I'll admit I've been impressed by this stretch of games the past two weeks.

For now at least, I'll bite my tongue and say I was wrong about AV. But I just don't know if we can go all the way with him.

Do you maybe think it's because if the puck gets past him and it's a foot race the other way, he's going to lose?

The only result they haven't gotten is the SC win, with a fairly depleted roster at times....and they've been close.

The status quo has given us some fairly good results, with no guarantees that changes will be improvements. People here speak like there's a magic formula...that you just go "get" someone that slides into place and makes things better. Sometimes, they make it worse. There are no guarantees and we hear that "AV's got a line up that he should win with". How about the Oilers? The coaching change didn't guarantee success.

If this years playoffs are disastrous then, yes, I definitely think a change is in order. But AV's been the one behind the bench who's helped MAKE this unit great...if he was an awful coach, that wouldn't be the case.

nah not really.. i mean they Canucks are riding good goaltending... if they had avg or even above avg goaltending in any of those game.. coulda easily lost every single one... i hope fans realized.. even with this mini streak.. and kesler coming back and everything... we are no where close to being a contender to win the cup.. there's still a lot of holes that needs to be filled...

I agree, AV does deserve some accolades, and I don't believe he is an "awful coach", I think it has just become a matter of complacency and a comfort level in a system that doesn't bode well for a playoff team.

As for the Oiler's, they are a young team, that I think will eventually find success, but do require some patience and can be afforded that. The Canucks are a proven commodity, with plenty of seasoning, so I guess my expectations are much greater.

I wish no "ill will" on AV, as you stated earlier, he has achieved some good things that shouldn't be overlooked.

Again, this is only my opinion, we need to move in a different direction to achieve the "ultimate" result.

"I guess my personality is a little more results driven than some others that are happy with the "status quo", and I don't fault people for that, I understand people "fall in love" with certain players, coaching staff etc. and are willing to overlook some of their misgivings, unfortunately I believe this may be what has happened with AV in regards to some of the players, and his coaching staff.

Clear mind, Clear vision, will end with good results"

With respect, none of us know you from Adam. It is easy to sit at a keyboard and sound off about being "results driven" but in truth if you "never have to walk the walk it's easy to talk the talk" Come back when you have actually achieved some "results" in the NHL.

Most of us are anything but happy about not winning a SC but equally we are mature enough to appreciate that it not only requires a team strong enough to go through a series of rounds of best of 7 but it takes getting the rub of the green with the officiating and injuries and all manner of things.

This was best summed up for me when one of the best soccer managers in my country took his team to 6 Scottish Cup Finals and never won a single one of them, only to be succeeded by an absolute buffoon who took over and won the Cup against Glasgow Rangers. He was sacked the next season.

"I guess my personality is a little more results driven than some others that are happy with the "status quo", and I don't fault people for that, I understand people "fall in love" with certain players, coaching staff etc. and are willing to overlook some of their misgivings, unfortunately I believe this may be what has happened with AV in regards to some of the players, and his coaching staff.

Clear mind, Clear vision, will end with good results"

With respect, none of us know you from Adam. It is easy to sit at a keyboard and sound off about being "results driven" but in truth if you "never have to walk the walk it's easy to talk the talk" Come back when you have actually achieved some "results" in the NHL.

Most of us are anything but happy about not winning a SC but equally we are mature enough to appreciate that it not only requires a team strong enough to go through a series of rounds of best of 7 but it takes getting the rub of the green with the officiating and injuries and all manor of things.

This was best summed up for me when one of the best soccer managers in my country took his team to 6 Scottish Cup Finals and never won a single one of them, only to be succeeded by an absolute buffoon who took over and won the Cup against Glasgow Rangers. He was sacked the next season.

In doing so (having time to read some of the comments), I've added something that you've overlooked. :) What we do know is that this team/coach is capable of coming very close to winning it all. What we don't is how someone else may fare in that if brought in. How they'll adjust/fit in, etc. So do we go with the unknown, to try to improve on something that's a proven formula for at least some success? Or do we stick with it and hope that the valuable experience of a team that's been through this (together) before will allow for tweaks and adjustments that may just put them over the edge?

We know team toughness in the playoffs has been an issue.

We know the officiating has been awful and inconsistent.

I say we go with what we know and who we have and learn to push back, as has been the case (to some degree). Dish it out as well as take it.

Saw Kadri go at Chara with a good hit last night...didn't care that it was the 9 foot beast...he played him hard despite this. Our guys need to do this...go down swinging (basically).

Sure, a SC win would be awesome but it would be so much sweeter with the guys who have been trying to get us there.

Well said however.

-Homer Deb

Archived