The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why Luongo should get the start from here on

VanNuck

My guess is Luongo gets the start on Thursday against the Ducks. One last regular season home start for Luo and to make sure he's playoff ready should we need him. Cheer him on, for better or worse it may be the end of an era

I will even add that after last night's game, Schneider isn't immune to the breakdowns that plagued Luongo and led to his demise with the fans and now with the coaching staff. If Luongo gets traded, Schneids takes over completely next year, and runs into similar cycles of play, people will begin to rip at him the same way, and then where will the Canucks be?

I was just looking at our goaltenders stats and one struck me as pretty interesting. After last nights game Schneider 's GAA is at 2.11. What makes that number significant is its the same GAA Lou put up in 2010-11 and the best GAA he ever posted. Schneider did it in his 3rd NHL season....and first as a starter.

I was just looking at our goaltenders stats and one struck me as pretty interesting. After last nights game Schneider 's GAA is at 2.11. What makes that number significant is its the same GAA Lou put up in 2010-11 and the best GAA he ever posted. Schneider did it in his 3rd NHL season....and first as a starter.

LOL

Great comparison dude ... 60 games Lui played to 30 Cory played ... and was handed shutouts on many nights when teams didn't even get over 25 shots. The canucks have NEVER played more defensive than they did this year

Smurf your logic is dogged by ur hatred for Lui .

You are the guys that say Lou needs all the work ! Want a 60 game review? Add Schneider's games and stats from last year to totals for this year...last season 1.96 GAA and SP of .937....Lou....2.34 and .919....this season Sch. 2.11 and .927 SP Lou ..2.34..SP.913......by your thinking....fewer games played should mean higher stats...not the case with Lou is it.....Whats your argument for Lou?

LOL

Great comparison dude ... 60 games Lui played to 30 Cory played ... and was handed shutouts on many nights when teams didn't even get over 25 shots. The canucks have NEVER played more defensive than they did this year

You are the guys that say Lou needs all the work ! Want a 60 game review? Add Schneider's games and stats from last year to totals for this year...last season 1.96 GAA and SP of .937....Lou....2.34 and .919....this season Sch. 2.11 and .927 SP Lou ..2.34..SP.913......by your thinking....fewer games played should mean higher stats...not the case with Lou is it.....Whats your argument for Lou?

Wow, it sure looks like we've got a big division within the Canucks Nation over who should get the start and all.

To recap it:

The Schneider camp:

- Argues that this is Schneider's time, and Lu's time is done. Time to move on

- Schneider has been playing better now than Lu at his best

- Schneider has more runway ahead of him, and they want to see what he can do

- The Canucks as a whole are the Kings and Schneider is Jonathan Quick

- If young goalies like Quick or Ward can win, why can't Schneider

- Lu can simply be dropped in a salary dump worst come to worst

- Lu wants out anyway

The Luongo camp:

- Argues that Lu has a winning pedigree and shouldn't be wasted

- Lu can't get traded given the size of his contract

- Lu deserves to finish what he started and go for a win

- Lu, at his best, reaches levels that Schneider hasn't seen, he can win the Cup if he went supernova

- Lu's "meltdowns" were really blown out of proportion - the Canuck failures weren't entirely his fault

- Lu has managed to work out his attitude problems and probably won't be so prone to fail

- Vancouver really should have been Lu's team, particularly after winning Olympic gold here

Either way, since this thread has been posted, Schneids had started twice, including the win over the Hawks that sealed the NW Division, a game that the Lu camp would argue that he should have started. But it should send a message to MG, AV, and Lu that he still has a major fanbase who wants to see him play again and win for Vancouver.

That said though, if anyone should be a scapegoat for the Canucks' failures, I say it's GM MG. As I had said before, MG changed the culture of the team, worked in the beginning, but now, the Canucks have resorted to treating their people (players AND fans) poorly, taking them for granted. Particularly, they have been inconsistent in standing up for certain players when fans take aim - or they decide that if someone doesn't fit in or cannot play, they'll cut them, instead of trying to fit him where he does best and let him overcome his weaknesses.

For what it's worth, the team itself isn't built to win. Aside from in goal, we've seen the Sedins' disappearing act, time after time, along with wimpy play from the likes of Lappierre and Weise, even dirty play by Burrows and Kesler. Someone even commented that these guys just aren't motivated to win - they're already raking the dough. This kind of attitude is a lack of character and winning spirit.

MG built this team, and he's the one that failed. That's why I said he should be fired and replaced with someone like Trevor Linden or Stan Smyl.

LOL

Archived