The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

11 minutes ago, taxi said:

You're the one making a statement: milk is bad for you.

It's up to you to back that up.

Your site is also far from "NON BIAS". A quick wikipedia search of the organization:

So a vegan organization pushing a non-milk agenda...shocking.

Literally the first one I found. Do the research yourself, the info is everywhere. 

Let me guess, you think red meat is healthy too? And fluoridated water is not a problem? Watch CNN or Fox? 

I'm not trying to convince you. I could care less, but don't go about making statements that are not true as recommendations to others.

9 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

Literally the first one I found. Do the research yourself, the info is everywhere. 

Let me guess, you think red meat is healthy too? And fluoridated water is not a problem? Watch CNN or Fox? 

I'm not trying to convince you. I could care less, but don't go about making statements that are not true as recommendations to others.

Take this somewhere else please. This isn't a pro-vegan / anti-floride thread....

Eating foods high in protein will help you make gains in the gym. End of story.

36 minutes ago, taxi said:

Take this somewhere else please. This isn't a pro-vegan / anti-floride thread....

Eating foods high in protein will help you make gains in the gym. End of story.

LOL yeah that's what I thought. 

And again, I didn't say anything against high protein foods helping with gains. 

Edited by RRypien37

57 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

Milk = good is the general consensus. 

Onus is on you to show otherwise. If you can't, it's just hot air. 

1 hour ago, RRypien37 said:

LOL yeah that's what I thought. 

And again, I didn't say anything against high protein foods helping with gains. 

It has never been scientifally proven that a dairy or meat free diet is superior health wise. In the context of weight training and trying to gain muscle mass, it is extremely difficult to do on a vegan diet. Mark Rippetoe, one of the most widely recognized trainers in the world, recommends that "hard gainers" drink a gallon of milk a day.

21 hours ago, taxi said:

It has never been scientifally proven that a dairy or meat free diet is superior health wise. In the context of weight training and trying to gain muscle mass, it is extremely difficult to do on a vegan diet. Mark Rippetoe, one of the most widely recognized trainers in the world, recommends that "hard gainers" drink a gallon of milk a day.

The GOMAD diet works. I'm not a super hard gainer but I definitely lean towards that side and the GOMAD diet worked for me. When I was still playing baseball, I really got into the gym hard after my second year of college. I'd worked out for a few years up til then but wasn't very serious about it. From May 2013 (end of my second year) I jumped on the GOMAD diet and 5x5 program. In a year (leading to the end of my third year), I went from roughly:

185 lbs at 13-14% BF. I'd do backsquats for 5x5 at about 275, deadlift at about 315, bench maybe 175-185, I could do maybe 9-10 body weight pullups. 

By May 2014 I was 205 lbs at just under 9% BF. Backsquatted 445 for a single, 355-365 for 5x5, deadlift single at 510ish and 5x5 at roughly 420. Benched a 285 single and 215 for 5x5 and could do roughly 20 body weight pullups, depending on the day. 

Admittedly, my increased commitment to the weight room played a big role  but up to that point I actually had worked out fairly diligently and with modest structure but I think the diet was the biggest change and that diet was a gallon of milk per day or close to it.

I guess the point of my post is that there's no tried-and-true "cookie cutter" method that works for everybody. There's certain things (like avoiding refined sugars) that hold true for everybody but there's countless rules that have varying effects on people.

jeez, I come in here to read about your guys progress and your arguing about milk...

Anyways, I've been weight training for the past five months. I've gone from 130lbs to 140lbs (I'm 6'), yea I know I'm really skinny but my body has a really high metabolism so its hard to gain weight. But I've been using protein powders for the past month and a half and they have worked really well. I used a mass gainer for the first month and I gained 5lbs, but then I switched to a whey protein and it hasn't done anything for me so I'm gonna go back to the mass gainer.

My routine is basically all compound exercises using dumbbells, I want to start using the bar but it's too intimidating and I go to the gym alone so I have no one to spot me, but i have a friend who has been working out for years so once I start school I'll ask him if he can help me out.

40 minutes ago, Gyllenhaal said:

jeez, I come in here to read about your guys progress and your arguing about milk...

Anyways, I've been weight training for the past five months. I've gone from 130lbs to 140lbs (I'm 6'), yea I know I'm really skinny but my body has a really high metabolism so its hard to gain weight. But I've been using protein powders for the past month and a half and they have worked really well. I used a mass gainer for the first month and I gained 5lbs, but then I switched to a whey protein and it hasn't done anything for me so I'm gonna go back to the mass gainer.

My routine is basically all compound exercises using dumbbells, I want to start using the bar but it's too intimidating and I go to the gym alone so I have no one to spot me, but i have a friend who has been working out for years so once I start school I'll ask him if he can help me out.

Whey protein isn't going to do much for someone like you. You need lots of calories, so you're better off getting your protein from whole foods. Like WSM said everyone has something that works for them specifically. I'd try putting in real food instead of weight gainers, but if that's the only thing that works....

Personally, I found what worked for me was eating what I eat regularly and then adding a Tuna Melt right before bed.

As far as your routine goes, it's difficult to get a real compound workout in with dumbells. You're much better off with the bar, as that will engage a lot more muscle groups. You don't necessarily need a spot. Just don't go to heavy and make sure you have training in proper form first. Some gyms will even have a "squat cage" where you can set up bars along the sides to act as spotters during your squat.

19 hours ago, Gyllenhaal said:

Mass gainers are going to work well at getting you heavier, they have tons of calories but those calories are typically garbage, sugar primarily. If you can get those extra calories form whole foods, do it. It's very, very, very unlikely you gained 5 lbs of muscle in one month from using mass gainers, probably .5-1 lb of muscle & the rest fat. Enjoy your newbie gains! They're the sweetest plum. 

Get under & over the bar. It's a great feeling, & as long as you're not ego lifting it's safe without a spotter. I've never used a spotter in the gym, & frankly I feel spotters are for people trying to lift way too heavy. If you can't do 6-8 clean, full range of motion lifts without a spotter, it's too  much weight.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, falcon45ca said:

Mass gainers are going to work well at getting you heavier, they have tons of calories but those calories are typically garbage, sugar primarily. If you can get those extra calories form whole foods, do it. It's very, very, very unlikely you gained 5 lbs of muscle in one month from using mass gainers, probably .5-1 lb of muscle & the rest fat. Enjoy your newbie gains! They're the sweetest plum. 

I've made homemade weight gainers that I found to be just as effective at a fraction of the cost. Toss some combination of milk, oats, bananas, peanut butter, honey, protein powder, chocolate sauce, maybe ground flax, etc. Whatever the heart desires really. I'd keep the sugars (honey, chocolate sauce) low but still be able to get like 700-800 calories, bunch of fat, protein, etc in  here. 

Using 2% milk helped me a lot. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

I've made homemade weight gainers that I found to be just as effective at a fraction of the cost. Toss some combination of milk, oats, bananas, peanut butter, honey, protein powder, chocolate sauce, maybe ground flax, etc. Whatever the heart desires really. I'd keep the sugars (honey, chocolate sauce) low but still be able to get like 700-800 calories, bunch of fat, protein, etc in  here. 

Using 2% milk helped me a lot. 

BOOM! That's how you do mass gainers

On November 27, 2015 at 2:28:21 PM, Gyllenhaal said:

Stick to protein and be patient.  Real food protein even better.

have no idea why anyone would want to gain anything other than lean muscle mass.  Anything else is just making your heart work harder than it needs too.  

Five months for for someone with your frame and claimed metabolism is nothing.  You're going to require time and real food and probably will never beat 185 -190lbs.  Which is perfect as you'll be a ripped 185-190 and people will think you're 230;)

trust me.

Edited by riffraff
  • Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Stick to protein and be patient.  Real food protein even better.

have no idea why anyone would want to gain anything other than lean muscle mass.  Anything else is just making your heart work harder than it needs too.  

Five months for for someone with your frame and claimed metabolism is nothing.  You're going to require time and real food and probably will never beat 185 -190lbs.  Which is perfect as you'll be a ripped 185-190 and people will think you're 230;)

trust me.

For hard gainers a "bulk" can be the only way. I used to be a hard gainer myself. Just could not put on mass. Eventually, I just realized I had to eat a lot. Like 4000+ calories a day. Put on 20lbs, about half of it was fat. Then cut it down slowly and retained the muscle. Did that twice and everyone thought I was juicing. 

Prior to that, I'd spent years spinning my wheels trying to break through barriers. Beyond initial Newbie gains, putting on consistent lean mass is extremely difficult, if not impossible. 

5 minutes ago, taxi said:

For hard gainers a "bulk" can be the only way. I used to be a hard gainer myself. Just could not put on mass. Eventually, I just realized I had to eat a lot. Like 4000+ calories a day. Put on 20lbs, about half of it was fat. Then cut it down slowly and retained the muscle. Did that twice and everyone thought I was juicing. 

Prior to that, I'd spent years spinning my wheels trying to break through barriers. Beyond initial Newbie gains, putting on consistent lean mass is extremely difficult, if not impossible. 

I was the same.  My point as I got closer to it near the end of my post, is that you have to be realistic with what you hope to achieve naturally, relative to your stature, metabolism etc.

like I said at 6' tall, if you're in single digits body fat at 185-190 lbs people will be in awe.

and that is totally achievable it just requires patience and hard work.

edit:

also depends on your reasons for training and what you plan on using your body for outside of the gym if anything.

Edited by riffraff

^^^

i had the same problem, just couldn't seem to gain weight. I downloaded an app on my iPhone called MyFitnessPal that I could track my workouts and food intake with. Didn't use it much to log workouts but it was great for the diet. You could scan barcodes or input the nutrition info. Just log what you eat and how much and it tells you all the nutrition info for the day (from cals and protein to sodium and cholesterol). It was great. Had myself eating roughly ~5000 cals a day.

22 hours ago, riffraff said:

I was the same.  My point as I got closer to it near the end of my post, is that you have to be realistic with what you hope to achieve naturally, relative to your stature, metabolism etc.

like I said at 6' tall, if you're in single digits body fat at 185-190 lbs people will be in awe.

and that is totally achievable it just requires patience and hard work.

edit:

also depends on your reasons for training and what you plan on using your body for outside of the gym if anything.

Definitely agree with this. The vast majority of people you see in any kind of fitness media are "enhanced".