The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

1 hour ago, falcon45ca said:

Do you do much stretching?

I've found, for myself at least, that dedicated stretching time really helps prevent/ease any DOMS I used to experience. It's been quite awhile now since I've had any significant DOMS since I started my stretch routines.

Sorry but what are Doms?

3 minutes ago, falcon45ca said:

Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness, like if you crush legs and for the next day or so have muscle pain when walking.

Right right right.

i haven't weight trained in a few years so haven't kept up on some of the lingo.

i used to experience that in the early  stages of leg days especially but not as much with regular training...maybe because I wasn't adding enough weight.

all I do is run and swim now alternating days about 5-6 days per week...now I experience doms as you say, after runs if I don't stretch properly.

interestingly I've stepped it up the last six months and have actually gained approx 4-5 lbs.

im an outside worker (carpentry) so I'm burning calories all day and eating all day so I would suspect that this is a bit of a jump in muscle mass - hopefully.

16 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Right right right.

i haven't weight trained in a few years so haven't kept up on some of the lingo.

i used to experience that in the early  stages of leg days especially but not as much with regular training...maybe because I wasn't adding enough weight.

all I do is run and swim now alternating days about 5-6 days per week...now I experience doms as you say, after runs if I don't stretch properly.

interestingly I've stepped it up the last six months and have actually gained approx 4-5 lbs.

im an outside worker (carpentry) so I'm burning calories all day and eating all day so I would suspect that this is a bit of a jump in muscle mass - hopefully.

That's the name of the game! You have my gains-prayers

6 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

I don't think it's DOMS until like 48+ hours post-workout. Until then it's just regular soreness.

24 hours and beyond is considered DOMS, but really I don't think you should ever be sore for more than an hour or so...you can be weaker for sure, but if you're walking around 6+ hours after a workout & you're in pain, I'd say you're in the early DOMS stages.

10 minutes ago, falcon45ca said:

24 hours and beyond is considered DOMS, but really I don't think you should ever be sore for more than an hour or so...you can be weaker for sure, but if you're walking around 6+ hours after a workout & you're in pain, I'd say you're in the early DOMS stages.

Ah, couldn't remember the number but knew there was some sort of time frame for it. I think sometimes it's just unavoidable...Back in November I did deadlifts for the first time in probably a couple years and despite a decent cooldown on a stationary bike, foam rolling, and considerable stretching I was unbelievably sore for 2-3 days.

15 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Ah, couldn't remember the number but knew there was some sort of time frame for it. I think sometimes it's just unavoidable...Back in November I did deadlifts for the first time in probably a couple years and despite a decent cooldown on a stationary bike, foam rolling, and considerable stretching I was unbelievably sore for 2-3 days.

You're right about that! Especially since you can't really tell until after the workout that you're going to get DOMS, I've had workouts that felt really good at the time, and then I'm in pain the next day just picking up a glass of water!

8 minutes ago, falcon45ca said:

You're right about that! Especially since you can't really tell until after the workout that you're going to get DOMS, I've had workouts that felt really good at the time, and then I'm in pain the next day just picking up a glass of water!

Personally I enjoy some good soreness. Soreness in the legs can kinda suck but I enjoy the soreness from a good back workout. 

12 hours ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Personally I enjoy some good soreness. Soreness in the legs can kinda suck but I enjoy the soreness from a good back workout. 

I decided to deadlift and squat on the same day last week. Literally crawled outta bed. The pain!

36 minutes ago, MusclePharm said:

I squat and deadlift on the same day 3 times a week :) you get used to it after a while.

Damn! I used to do it twice a week, a while back. Trying to get back into that routine. 

Btw how heavy are you going? What's your sets and rep range?

2 hours ago, Jiggs50 said:

Damn! I used to do it twice a week, a while back. Trying to get back into that routine. 

Btw how heavy are you going? What's your sets and rep range?

3x3 for squat and i work up to 1×3 deadlift one a week. The other two days i go a little lighter but more volume, 5x7 for squat and 3x5 on deadlifts.

Starting a month of Cory Gregory's interwoven anabolic diet/intermittent fasting eating plan called his anabolic diet on Monday.

Should be fun times. Accidentally fasted for 20 hours yesterday (ate at 8pm Monday night, slept in Tuesday morning and ran out the door without eating and my wallet, couldn't buy food all day, didn't get home until 4pm Tuesday afternoon). I was feeling quite delirious around noon on Tuesday, but I also did a field based max VO2 test around 10:30am so burned a lot of calories which contributes.

Going to do the 12-8 eating window. Should be fine hopefully. I train at 5:15am every morning so I can have my BCAA's post workout, have some black coffee around 9am to curb hunger, and look forward to noon. I'm most excited about the 8pm insulin spike with the peanut butter banana haha. 

Anyone have experience with intermittent fasting? 

Edit: Reason for doing this: I trained at about 11-12% BF up until December, and after going through some personal stuff mixed in with holidays, I shot up to 15.5%bf (Measured via 7 site skinfold test done by the same tester). Trained at, and currently this week training at the 14.5-15.5% BF but going to start a pre-cut with this month of anabolic fasting. I usually don't start cutting for summer until April, but this is just a way for me to use my own body as a test subject to see if this anabolic fasting works, and if it does, I'll use it again for my April/May cut. 

Edited by NucksPatsFan

6 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Starting a month of Cory Gregory's interwoven anabolic diet/intermittent fasting eating plan called his anabolic diet on Monday.

Should be fun times. Accidentally fasted for 20 hours yesterday (ate at 8pm Monday night, slept in Tuesday morning and ran out the door without eating and my wallet, couldn't buy food all day, didn't get home until 4pm Tuesday afternoon). I was feeling quite delirious around noon on Tuesday, but I also did a field based max VO2 test around 10:30am so burned a lot of calories which contributes.

Going to do the 12-8 eating window. Should be fine hopefully. I train at 5:15am every morning so I can have my BCAA's post workout, have some black coffee around 9am to curb hunger, and look forward to noon. I'm most excited about the 8pm insulin spike with the peanut butter banana haha. 

Anyone have experience with intermittent fasting? 

I haven't followed this thread but for some reason I clicked on it and I have a question for you. Are you doing this for competition prep?

28 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

I haven't followed this thread but for some reason I clicked on it and I have a question for you. Are you doing this for competition prep?

I could never have the time, or diet strictness to ever compete haha. 

I train and workout 60% for sports performance (even though it's beer league or nothing option for hockey, still play in the A div's so it's pretty competitive) 15% for personal achievements of lifting as many pounds over body weight I can, and 15% to look the best [aesthetically] that I can.