The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

On 3/25/2018 at 3:37 PM, HI5 said:

Full week of sickness, no gym or creatine..walk into gym 3 different people compliment me saying I look more shredded :huh:^_^

I was sick for more than a week, and lost 2 pounds while being in bed. 

Want to lose 10 lbs till summer. I'm not a big fan of working out but I've finally started attending the gym recently. Also I'm going to try coolsculpting nyc soon. I heard many positive reviews about this procedure. It uses a targeted cooling process that kills the fat cells underneath the skin. Hope with its help I'll get in shape sooner. 

Edited by WilliG

16 hours ago, brilac said:

I was sick for more than a week, and lost 2 pounds while being in bed. 

I figured my weight would go right back up but it hasn’t yet, can’t complain. Definitely leaning out nicely though so far!

4 hours ago, WilliG said:

Want to lose 10 lbs till summer. I'm not a big fan of working out but I've finally started attending the gym recently. Also I'm going to try coolsculpting nyc soon. I heard many postive reviews about this procedures. It uses a targeted cooling process that kills the fat cells underneath the skin. Hope with its help I'll get in shape sooner. 

Is that an expensive procedure? I just finished week 5 of my cut and lost 8lbs on the scale, 6% bf (using navy method —prob not most accurate) just from working out at a caloric deficit. 

———

Also, heard Halo Top ice cream is now available in Canada which I’ve always wanted to try!

https://halotop.ca/

26 minutes ago, HI5 said:

I figured my weight would go right back up but it hasn’t yet, can’t complain. Definitely leaning out nicely though so far!

Yeah, I haven't gained it back, and I have lost additional weight.  I have been losing weight and am looking thinner, and am looking divine!  Now if I could find something for the under eye circles, I'd be totally totally divine!

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, HI5 said:

Is that an expensive procedure? I just finished week 5 of my cut and lost 8lbs on the scale, 6% bf (using navy method —prob not most accurate) just from working out at a caloric deficit. 

It depends on your location. As far as I know the typical cost for CoolSculpting in New York ranges from 750 USD

Just ran my first half marathon distance.  It wasn't a race.  I did it on my own to see if I could.

1:58

the last 1.5km was masochistically brutal.

now I'm ravenous so it's gonna be a family pack of chicken and baked vegetables and an IPA big bottle.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, babych said:

Looking for advice on building muscle mass and strength. What are some of your fav techniques for this? I'm doing a combination of GVT (10 x 10) and also some shorter, heavier (for me) sets (5 x 5). 

Pick a reputable program and stick with it for at least 6 months. Find your TDEE and eat a slight surplus. 

What’s your current fitness level like?

• Upvote 1

Friend of mine is getting married in August, so I’ve got 5 months to trim it up. Currently 178, and will realistically be in the 168 area, if I follow through and focus on cardio. Otherwise, I know I’ll go down into the 155 zone and look gross.

38 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Pick a reputable program and stick with it for at least 6 months. Find your TDEE and eat a slight surplus. 

What’s your current fitness level like?

I'm pretty fit at the moment. I workout 4-5x per week doing various things: weights, cardio, circuits, etc. In the summer I get out walking and hiking.

My issue, and it's one that I didn't think I would ever have, is that I'm dropping weight and need to put some muscle on.

1 minute ago, babych said:

I'm pretty fit at the moment. I workout 4-5x per week doing various things: weights, cardio, circuits, etc. In the summer I get out walking and hiking.

My issue, and it's one that I didn't think I would ever have, is that I'm dropping weight and need to put some muscle on.

Your issue doesn’t sound like a bad one. Do you think you’re <20% body fat? If so, you’re in a good place to start putting on some muscle. Follow a reputable program and eat at a caloric surplus for an extended period of time and then re-evaluate, which should probably be at least six months down the road. 

It sounds like you’re a relative beginner in the weight room, no? What are your current physical stats and lifts like?

11 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Your issue doesn’t sound like a bad one. Do you think you’re <20% body fat? If so, you’re in a good place to start putting on some muscle. Follow a reputable program and eat at a caloric surplus for an extended period of time and then re-evaluate, which should probably be at least six months down the road. 

It sounds like you’re a relative beginner in the weight room, no? What are your current physical stats and lifts like?

I'll  give you a little background on my journey.. when I was younger I was much more active in the gym.. then I went thru a 10 yr period of sitting on the couch drinking beer, lol. I'm not a tall guy (5'7") and ballooned up to around 180 (it was high 170's for sure).

about a year and a half ago I hired a personal trainer and looked into healthy eating and got down to the low 160's and stayed there for about a year. I stopped with the trainer awhile ago cause it was getting expensive. Then in dec I cut out alcohol completely and now I'm low 150's (this morning I was 149, geez).

I have no idea as to my body fat but I'd guess it'd have to be <20% for sure.

I'd say that I know my way around the gym and I'm looking to add maybe 5 lbs of lean muscle, which is a new experience for me. I'm going to be upping my caloric intake for sure;)

Edited by babych

23 minutes ago, babych said:

I'll  give you a little background on my journey.. when I was younger I was much more active in the gym.. then I went thru a 10 yr period of sitting on the couch drinking beer, lol. I'm not a tall guy (5'7") and ballooned up to around 180 (it was high 170's for sure).

about a year and a half ago I hired a personal trainer and looked into healthy eating and got down to the low 160's and stayed there for about a year. I stopped with the trainer awhile ago cause it was getting expensive. Then in dec I cut out alcohol completely and now I'm low 150's (this morning I was 149, geez).

I have no idea as to my body fat but I'd guess it'd have to be <20% for sure.

I'd say that I know my way around the gym and I'm looking to add maybe 5 lbs of lean muscle, which is a new experience for me. I'm going to be upping my caloric intake for sure;)

So it sounds like you don’t have any issue with excess weight or body fat which means a caloric surplus shouldn’t cause any problems for you. At your current body weight, what’s your strength like? Squat more or less than 275? Deadlift more or less than 315? Bench more or less than 185? 

If you’re looking to just get generally bigger and stronger I’d recommend any of Jim Wendler’s 5/3/1 programs (find one that you like and get at it. The books aren’t totally necessary but they do help) or Westside for skinny b@$**rds (tried to censor without completely hiding the name here but you get my drift).  

Congrats on the weight loss and improved health over the last ~18 months, that’s not easy and should be commended. Don’t go nuts with the caloric surplus so as to undo the hard work you’ve put in so far. Start with a surplus of maybe 200-300 calories and reassess after a couple of weeks if the scale doesn’t seem to be moving. 

43 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

So it sounds like you don’t have any issue with excess weight or body fat which means a caloric surplus shouldn’t cause any problems for you. At your current body weight, what’s your strength like? Squat more or less than 275? Deadlift more or less than 315? Bench more or less than 185? 

If you’re looking to just get generally bigger and stronger I’d recommend any of Jim Wendler’s 5/3/1 programs (find one that you like and get at it. The books aren’t totally necessary but they do help) or Westside for skinny b@$**rds (tried to censor without completely hiding the name here but you get my drift).  

Congrats on the weight loss and improved health over the last ~18 months, that’s not easy and should be commended. Don’t go nuts with the caloric surplus so as to undo the hard work you’ve put in so far. Start with a surplus of maybe 200-300 calories and reassess after a couple of weeks if the scale doesn’t seem to be moving. 

I'd say I lift less than all you mentioned - up till now I've been doing lighter weights with more reps and getting my heart rate up.

I appreciate your suggestions, Sean!

19 minutes ago, babych said:

I'd say I lift less than all you mentioned - up till now I've been doing lighter weights with more reps and getting my heart rate up.

I appreciate your suggestions, Sean!

Then the strength gains should be fast and plentiful! Best of luck. Keep us posted on your progress here and we’ll keep you accountable ;)

• Upvote 1

I've been working with a trainer 1x a week since February and doing strength training and cardio on my own, and I have been seeing results.  Like yesterday, I had to walk with really good posture so my pants would not fall off me/get really low.  I did not notice until I started walking. And I am discovering what I really like.  I really like running, lunges, stairs, and squats.  Last week my trainer had me do many lunges as part of a circuit with weights, and did whatever 18x6 is.  And I felt great.  And today I did 65 flights of stairs though out the day.  I really like walking too, which is a normal everyday thing for me.  

• Upvote 1