The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

3 hours ago, brilac said:

Has anyone tried intermittent fasting, eating between 8 hours a day, and not eating for 16 hours.  How did that work for you?  

If it suits how you like to eat go for it.  It isn't magical just another way to distribute  your calories.  I have tried it but it didn't suit my family and social life.

15 hours ago, brilac said:

Has anyone tried intermittent fasting, eating between 8 hours a day, and not eating for 16 hours.  How did that work for you?  

I usually push my first meal as late as possible (when cutting), sometimes just drink a black coffee to suppress my appetite so I can just eat two bigger meals later in the day.

like worms said, it’s not magical and really comes down to what works best for you. 

Edited by HI5

15 minutes ago, HI5 said:

I usually push my first meal as late as possible (when cutting), sometimes just drink a black coffee to suppress my appetite so I can just eat two bigger meals later in the day.

like worms said, it’s not magical and really comes down to what works best for you. 

https://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/most-important-meal

• Like 1

On 3/23/2018 at 8:39 AM, NucksPatsFan said:

Damn I have no will power whatsoever :(

Leaving for Mexico in 3 weeks and you'd think my cut would be in full effect diet wise? Nope, still getting bit in the ass by that dead period between 8pm and bedtime where I feel like I 'need' to be snacking while watching TV. Ended up having a little bit of vanilla ice cream and nutella lol. 

Gonna go buy some hummus, carrot sticks, celery sticks to keep around the house to at least have a healthier alternative. 

Sucks when you have a perfect day of eating (no breakfast, chicken breast, 2 cups mixed veggies, nuts for lunch, same for dinner) with a hard compound day workout, and then ruin it with that before bed.

Thing is, don't dwell...tends to stick.  Allow yourself to not  be perfect and to enjoy those moments and put them behind you.  Happens. 

Heard this once, and I live by it because it makes things positive vs negative.  If you eat a bag of chips now and then, whatever.   It won't make or break things...it's if you make it a habit that it's problematic.  So allow yourself those moments without guilt.  Focus on this part:  "when you have a perfect day of eating (no breakfast, chicken breast, 2 cups mixed veggies, nuts for lunch, same for dinner) with a hard compound day workout....".

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 2018-04-08 at 12:32 PM, riffraff said:

No, no, nope. I may or may not elaborate on this later right now I’m dead just had an epic back sesh.

Cut is going real well, hit my first weight loss pleateau and one refeed day was all it took to break it. Back on track and leaning out real nice, hope shred season is treating the rest of you well!

24 minutes ago, HI5 said:

No, no, nope. I may or may not elaborate on this later right now I’m dead just had an epic back sesh.

Cut is going real well, hit my first weight loss pleateau and one refeed day was all it took to break it. Back on track and leaning out real nice, hope shred season is treating the rest of you well!

I guess my point is nobody actually said the weightlifting diet is healthy over the long term.

On 4/8/2018 at 11:32 AM, riffraff said:

There's no scientific consensus on this :

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/is-skipping-breakfast-bad#section2

A lot of the studies done so far are flawed in that they use test subjects who make up for their lack of breakfast with unhealthy snacks later on. 

Edited by taxi

1 hour ago, taxi said:

There's no scientific consensus on this :

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/is-skipping-breakfast-bad#section2

A lot of the studies done so far are flawed in that they use test subjects who make up for their lack of breakfast with unhealthy snacks later on. 

Seems quite complex and  maybe specific to each individual.

your post here probably outlines the biggest problem:

skipping a healthy breakfast only to eat some crap later as a result of being hungry and surrounded by fast food.

my days start early.  I have a 3egg omelette by 630am and I'm still starving by 9....eating several meals per day.

41 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Seems quite complex and  maybe specific to each individual.

your post here probably outlines the biggest problem:

skipping a healthy breakfast only to eat some crap later as a result of being hungry and surrounded by fast food.

my days start early.  I have a 3egg omelette by 630am and I'm still starving by 9....eating several meals per day.

The issue is that a lot of these studies tend to not take into account cause and effect properly. The people who skip breakfast may have been people who generally don't take care of themselves or do their own cooking. They don't properly take the lifestyle of the subjects as a whole into account. 

I've found skipping breakfast is the only way for me to lose weight consistently. It becomes an issue of self-control though. You can't immediately then gorge yourself. You have to eat reasonably for lunch and then wait 30 minutes to an hour for your hunger to go away naturally as you process the foods. 

If you want to lose weight, at some point you are going to have to deal with feeling hungry and not eating. There are ways to mitigate this by avoiding foods high in calories but low in other nutrients. However, it's difficult to lose weight. If you are slightly overweight because you eat 300 calories too much, it's very difficult to go to a situation where you're eating 300 calories less a day. You're looking at a swing of 600 calories a day. 

• Upvote 1

Did my 1st 5x 345lbs squat and first 5x 245 bench sets this week, which I'm super pumped about, especially since I'm on the lower end of my weight range right now.

However my deadlifts have stalled if not regressed over the past few months.  I was at the point where I could usually hammer out 3 if not 4 reps at 405,  now I'm struggling to hit the 3rd rep at 395, and often can't even finish it.  More than anything I'm just finding it hard to keep holding the bar and my grip gives out, I often don't even feel much of a burn in my legs by the time I give out.  Super frustrating.  Anybody have any good grip strength tips/bar holding techniques that have worked for them?

Edited by Jägermeister

36 minutes ago, Jägermeister said:

Did my 1st 5x 345lbs squat and first 5x 245 bench sets this week, which I'm super pumped about, especially since I'm on the lower end of my weight range right now.

However my deadlifts have stalled if not regressed over the past few months.  I was at the point where I could usually hammer out 3 if not 4 reps at 405,  now I'm struggling to hit the 3rd rep at 395, and often can't even finish it.  More than anything I'm just finding it hard to keep holding the bar and my grip gives out, I often don't even feel much of a burn in my legs by the time I give out.  Super frustrating.  Anybody have any good grip strength tips/bar holding techniques that have worked for them?

Straps, your hand strength will never keep up with your legs

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Straps, your hand strength will never keep up with your legs

I've got a set of straps that I used to use way back in the day when I first started lifting.  Ditched them when I realized my grip strength was absolutely horrible and decided to really focus on improving it. 

Might not be a bad idea to dust them off and see how she goes.

Edited by Jägermeister

3 minutes ago, Jägermeister said:

I've got a set of straps that I used to use way back in the day when I first started lifting.  Ditched them when I realized my grip strength was absolutely horrible and decided to really focus on improving it. 

My strength is, was. I never got past 315 without straps, but worked up to 500 with them. Probably couldn't do much more than 400 without them. They make a massive difference. It's that or constantly work on your hand strength with those squeeze grip deals, or holding heavy dumbbells as long as you can

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Jägermeister said:

You should be able to pull 400 pounds with a double overhand grip and no straps. I used to deadlift with a mixed grip all the time until I realized my grip strength sucked so I stuck to weight I could lift with the double overhand until I built my grip strength up. Farmers walks, isometric pull-up holds/bar hangs, and Kroc rows have all helped my grip a ton. 

Of course, if your goals are more physique/aesthetic oriented then who cares, just use straps. If you’re focused on strength training improve your grip. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

You should be able to pull 400 pounds with a double overhand grip and no straps. I used to deadlift with a mixed grip all the time until I realized my grip strength sucked so I stuck to weight I could lift with the double overhand until I built my grip strength up. Farmers walks, isometric pull-up holds/bar hangs, and Kroc rows have all helped my grip a ton. 

Of course, if your goals are more physique/aesthetic oriented then who cares, just use straps. If you’re focused on strength training improve your grip. 

Mainly I just want to look good, but end of the day I'd still like to see some progress with my strength as well.  Will probably keep using the straps for a bit, and mix in a little more grip focused workouts as well, grip strength in general is always something good to have.

5 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

My strength is, was. I never got past 315 without straps, but worked up to 500 with them. Probably couldn't do much more than 400 without them. They make a massive difference. It's that or constantly work on your hand strength with those squeeze grip deals, or holding heavy dumbbells as long as you can

Used the straps today and was hitting 5x of 395, so a definite improvement.  Best burn I've gotten in a while from my deadlifts for sure.  Good call.

10 hours ago, Jägermeister said:

Mainly I just want to look good, but end of the day I'd still like to see some progress with my strength as well.  Will probably keep using the straps for a bit, and mix in a little more grip focused workouts as well, grip strength in general is always something good to have.

Used the straps today and was hitting 5x of 395, so a definite improvement.  Best burn I've gotten in a while from my deadlifts for sure.  Good call.

Definitely. The lift should improve considerably over the next few months all because your hands won't start giving out before the rest of you does