The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

Yep, this. Not much point in doing sets of 10 if you don't already have a solid base of strength (i.e. can do 405+ for 1).

Why ass to grass? It doesn't really recruit any more musculature and it requires relaxation of the lumbar spine and hamstrings to reach that depth. You're better off squatting to just below parallel (hip crease just below top of the knee) because you can keep the lumbar spine tight and the hamstrings under tension. Plus you can move more weight. Just my opinion though.

Good, I won't do it anymore!

Finally set a squat PR today. 305x5.

It took 21 months to go from 305x4 to 305x5. A lot of that time was wasted trying to learn a high bar squat, and a solid 9 months was losing weight. I weighed 218 when I squatted 305x4. Today I weighted in at 196. Setting a squat PR at 22lbs less BW is a fairly big accomplishment, IMO.

Still a lot of work to do to hit 405x1 before Jan. 1, 2014.

Anybody recommend a slow absorption protein? Im leaning towards optimum nutritions casein protein but if ya'll have any suggestions please share them.

http://active8canada.com/magnum-quottro.html

You can probably find jt cheaper at your local store that sells protein, or off of bodybuilding.com

I haven't tried this one myself yet, I plan on getting it next.

Edited by Kent.S

Anybody recommend a slow absorption protein? Im leaning towards optimum nutritions casein protein but if ya'll have any suggestions please share them.

I heard TruTein's Cinnabun is unreal but I think you can only order it online and probably costs an arm and a leg.

I thought I made a post here the other day but I guess I only imagined that.

Anyway, how do you guys go about combining high reps and low reps? Like, 5 bench sets. 3 heavy, 2 higher reps? I'm trying to do both much more now because often I only do heavy sets.

There are a bunch of ways you can do it, my only suggestion would be to do the higher rep sets after you have already done the heavy work.

I thought I made a post here the other day but I guess I only imagined that.

Anyway, how do you guys go about combining high reps and low reps? Like, 5 bench sets. 3 heavy, 2 higher reps? I'm trying to do both much more now because often I only do heavy sets.

Depends on what your goals are.

For bodybuilding you need relatively high reps (around 15). This will giveyou the most size. For pure strength training, you want to keep your reps as low as possible.

Most people, as they aren't competing in either powerlifting or bodbybuilding, want a bit of both strength and size.

Anyone on a cutting phase right now?

Post start weighty, current weight, and goal weight, then if you're bulking post that as well.

Mine was 220, my current is 194, and my goal is 185, in the end I hope I'm 230!

Going to take a long time though!

I hate cutting, I always feel so tired, I'm constantly lacking on carbs.

Anyone on a cutting phase right now?

Post start weighty, current weight, and goal weight, then if you're bulking post that as well.

Mine was 220, my current is 194, and my goal is 185, in the end I hope I'm 230!

Going to take a long time though!

I hate cutting, I always feel so tired, I'm constantly lacking on carbs.

I usually stop cutting at this time. I went from 215 to about 190. Now bulking begins....plan to get to about 220.

Depends on what your goals are.

For bodybuilding you need relatively high reps (around 15). This will giveyou the most size. For pure strength training, you want to keep your reps as low as possible.

Most people, as they aren't competing in either powerlifting or bodbybuilding, want a bit of both strength and size.

Fair enough. I never exceed more than 10-12 reps. I like doing a lot of the strength building, but I am trying to get more higher rep sets in now without giving up the strength building ones; have been for a while. Plus I feel like anything past 6 reps really begins testing my endurance because I'm so used to such heavy weight so I'm trying to improve upon that.

What do you guys think about the keto diet?

My personal opinion is that a lot of these diets are BS. What they do, however, is keep people's calories restricted while ensuring their protein stays high. So they work.

The main things to thing about when putting your diet together are calories and protein. You're body converts fat, carbs, and excess protein into simple sugars and converts any extras to fat stores. If you are trying to lose weight you need to have a shortage of calories while having enough protein to build and maintain muscle. However, your body can only absorb so much protein everyday.

So something like the Keto will work for someone who wants to lose weight and needs a mantra to deal with their lack of self-control. When they are offered a piece of cake, they'll say no i can't eat that, it's not keto. When they go to order dinner, they'll order a lean fish/protein instead of a burger and fries.

A lot of the people pushing these diets are supplement companies and trainers who sell supplements. They tell you things like you need x amounts of protein at x time of the day. The best way to do that is to drink this protein drink, eat this bar, etc...Basically, I think carbs get a bad rap. There's nothing evil about carbs, they just happen to be the easiest thing to cut out of a diet while maintaining high protein levels.

• Upvote 1

My personal opinion is that a lot of these diets are BS. What they do, however, is keep people's calories restricted while ensuring their protein stays high. So they work.

The main things to thing about when putting your diet together are calories and protein. You're body converts fat, carbs, and excess protein into simple sugars and converts any extras to fat stores. If you are trying to lose weight you need to have a shortage of calories while having enough protein to build and maintain muscle. However, your body can only absorb so much protein everyday.

So something like the Keto will work for someone who wants to lose weight and needs a mantra to deal with their lack of self-control. When they are offered a piece of cake, they'll say no i can't eat that, it's not keto. When they go to order dinner, they'll order a lean fish/protein instead of a burger and fries.

A lot of the people pushing these diets are supplement companies and trainers who sell supplements. They tell you things like you need x amounts of protein at x time of the day. The best way to do that is to drink this protein drink, eat this bar, etc...Basically, I think carbs get a bad rap. There's nothing evil about carbs, they just happen to be the easiest thing to cut out of a diet while maintaining high protein levels.

Sounds exactly like everything this body builder guy told me.

This is what I was going to say. Keto is stupid unless is helps with compliance.

This is what I was going to say. Keto is stupid unless is helps with compliance.

Ya, i've known a few guys who did Keto and they were absolutely miserable on it.

I'd rather just do the same thing with a normal restricted calorie diet.

Anybody ever do any MMA or Kickboxing? I did some MMA when I was in Afghanistan but could only do a couple of classes due to my job. I HATE going for runs so I figured maybe I would do cardio that way....and who knows, maybe get an amateur fight or two down the road if I get skilled enough in it.