The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

i'm like you but if your truly serious in getting a huge ass chest, you need the barbell. dumbell is too limited.

Yeah I changed around whole routine in terms of doing all different exercises for every day. Started with the barbell recently.

I'd feel remiss if I didn't give a quick shoutout to Greg Plitt in here. Greg's outlook on life in and out of the gym changed my perspective on everything and got me to where I am today, fit and happy in all aspects of life. I'll never forget him, RIP.

tumblr_mg26vjS7OD1rjrmhlo1_500.gif

I'd feel remiss if I didn't give a quick shoutout to Greg Plitt in here. Greg's outlook on life in and out of the gym changed my perspective on everything and got me to where I am today, fit and happy in all aspects of life. I'll never forget him, RIP.

tumblr_mg26vjS7OD1rjrmhlo1_500.gif

RIP

He motivated thousands and will be missed

rotator cuff tear, been going to physio a couple times a week. losing all my gains :sadno:

Don't worry you naturally have muscle memory, you will gain your size back in 3-4 weeks of strict training with decent nutrition. Also, research "turmeric" its great for inflammation.

Edited by desiboynux4lifee*******

• 2 months later...

Gonna bump this one as I just moved back to Vancouver and I'm looking for a gym to join A$AP before I lose all my GAINZZZZZZZZ.

I live in Coquitlam, work in Richmond, so I'm looking for something close to home or work (preferably home). I don't care about state-of-the art machines or saunas or steam rooms, but I absolutely demand a good selection free weights (with enough benches, squat racks, floor space for deadlifts etc.) along with a reasonable price.

Gonna bump this one as I just moved back to Vancouver and I'm looking for a gym to join A$AP before I lose all my GAINZZZZZZZZ.

I live in Coquitlam, work in Richmond, so I'm looking for something close to home or work (preferably home). I don't care about state-of-the art machines or saunas or steam rooms, but I absolutely demand a good selection free weights (with enough benches, squat racks, floor space for deadlifts etc.) along with a reasonable price.

Richmond will always be sports central for 199.99 a year subscription. I don't remember how much it was per month, but it's pretty much the cheapest out there. Aside from that it's 24/7 access and does a really 'ghetto vibe' to it, lots of free weights go up to 120lbs'ish dumbells and 3 benches, 1 decline and 1 incline.

Entirely different things in the body. Whey protein is synthesized by your body and used to repair and grow muscle tissue and most protein shakes contain free amino acids which also synthesize in the body to form proteins. Creatine is stored in cells in the form of phosphocreatine and is the source of energy your body uses when it needs quick, explosive bursts of energy [think a sprinter running a 100m dash, or going for that 1 or 2 rep max in the gym]. Creatine supplements can increase the amount of phosphocreatine stored in your cells and/or increase the recovery time for your cells to get back to homeostatic levels of phosphocreatine. Usually you don't get more than 12-15 seconds of using primarily PCr for energy before anaerobic/aerobic energy systems kick in.

Close...

Creatine does increase phospocreatine, but the effect of increased phosphocreatine is to increase the availability of ATP to your muscles. ATP is what lets your muscle fibres contract. More ATP means more contractions and longer contractions. It can be used for any kind of exercise, not just sprinting. It actually works best for interval training. For example lifting heavy weights for 20-30 seconds, resting, lifting again. It will help you push out the last couple of reps in an 8-10 rep set, and you'll notice it more in your later sets.

God I miss working out. It is incredibly depressing not being able to work out when you want to. Haven't been to the gym steady since summer due to ridiculous health issues. Still waiting for a surgery in two months and then recovery. If I don't end up with a colostomy bag, hopefully I can get back to it by July.

Body squats have been my only friend for months :(

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys.

I want to incorporate cardio in the morning, probably 5k run and weights in the evening.

Are there any negatives with doing a lot of cardio at a different time of the day and then weights later on?

Does a lot of cardio cancel out muscle gain?

Hey guys.

I want to incorporate cardio in the morning, probably 5k run and weights in the evening.

Are there any negatives with doing a lot of cardio at a different time of the day and then weights later on?

Does a lot of cardio cancel out muscle gain?

cardio does not cancel muscle gain. You need to make sure you're getting enough food to counteract the cardio. Also be conscious of how fatigue your body is, if your goal is muscle gain then i wouldn't do a 5k more than twice a week, especially because it fatigues your legs which (in my opinion) need to be worked at least two days of the week.

cardio does not cancel muscle gain. You need to make sure you're getting enough food to counteract the cardio. Also be conscious of how fatigue your body is, if your goal is muscle gain then i wouldn't do a 5k more than twice a week, especially because it fatigues your legs which (in my opinion) need to be worked at least two days of the week.

A mass muscle gain isn't so much of my goal as becoming lean. I guess I am more worried about losing muscle from cardio.

I'm going to try the early morning runs. Maybe not 5k in the end but at least 30 minutes. We'll see if I can do 5 days. If not I'll do 3 days for sure.

What the hell do you do for a sore lower back? Literally a couple bad reps or one bad set in several years and I can't even deadlift anymore without significant pain. 465 x 5 x 5 regularly no problem; struggled for 405 x 8 x 2. Got 1 rep third set before calling it quits.

This is why I don't dead lift.

This is why I don't dead lift.

I like it way more than squats. But it doesn't seem like there's much margin for error. Hopefully it's just a muscle thing. I feel fine throughout the day, bending, etc, using my back in general, except when it came to last dead lift day. That was brutal. Maybe take a month off of from doing it? I dunno.